Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone renting on Turo?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I haven't had any serious issues renting out my S. If I had to be extremely picky, sometimes the floor mats might have a bit of debris to them, but then again it is to be expected and a super quick vacuum does the trick. People respect the car and treat it well and I make it very clear in my listing that it should be treated as such. I'm also picky in terms of who I rent out my car to, so that helps in avoiding problems. So far my intuition on reading people has been good thus far, knock on wood.

So a major key is in following your gut and not being afraid to say no to someone. You don't have to accept every single request and say yes to every request. Then you'll avoid issues for the most part. Also being too cheap in pricing sometimes attracts a certain crowd as well.

I did cancel on someone because it was clear it was going to be a hassle dealing with the person. Which is something I'm not afraid to do.

I do it because it's fun to do, you meet a lot of great people and it really helps in getting people interested in Tesla. Also helps in partially paying for the car, which is better than nothing. I imagine the experience depends on where you live too.

Damn that's shady. I hope you reported them to Turo. This probably isn't the first or last time they'll be trying to pull apart someone's personal car. Of course they'll probably just set up another account with a different employee but hopefully there's some kind of fine Turo can slap them with to dissuade this kind of behavior.

They could be up-front about it at least and pay a premium. "Hey we're doing X which won't void the warranty, we'll pay Y over the normal rental" . Not for everyone but it'd be a fair deal.

I have noticed that as Turo get's more popular the quality of renters seems to be declining. I had very few issues until the last few months but now it seems like the idiots have found the site. Reviews would help, but probably 90% of the people who rent my car have no history on the site.

The renter was just a low level employee. I wasn't upset with him. I was upset with his superior, who I managed to talk to while they took 30 minutes to put everything back in it's place. He was their CEO and freely admitted to doing this all the time with TURO. Acted like it was not a big deal. I tried to get his business card but he claimed he didn't have one and wrote down his contact info on a piece of paper. I'm just glad I realized all this was going down within the first 3 hours of the rental. They had it rented for two days in all.

I haven't had any serious issues renting out my S. If I had to be extremely picky, sometimes the floor mats might have a bit of debris to them, but then again it is to be expected and a super quick vacuum does the trick. People respect the car and treat it well and I make it very clear in my listing that it should be treated as such. I'm also picky in terms of who I rent out my car to, so that helps in avoiding problems. So far my intuition on reading people has been good thus far, knock on wood.

So a major key is in following your gut and not being afraid to say no to someone. You don't have to accept every single request and say yes to every request. Then you'll avoid issues for the most part. Also being too cheap in pricing sometimes attracts a certain crowd as well.

I did cancel on someone because it was clear it was going to be a hassle dealing with the person. Which is something I'm not afraid to do.

I do it because it's fun to do, you meet a lot of great people and it really helps in getting people interested in Tesla. I imagine the experience depends on where you live too.

I agree. The reason I want others to rent and drive this car is because it's revolutionary. I want them to experience what we all do on a daily basis and eventually purchase a Tesla. Doesn't have to be a 3, just any Tesla. Open their minds to an all-electric car and show the benefits far outweigh the preceding technology. It's also hard to drive a M3 right now. No test drives yet so you have a find someone who has one or rent it.

Reactions: Bebop
The renter was just a low level employee. I wasn't upset with him. I was upset with his superior, who I managed to talk to while they took 30 minutes to put everything back in it's place. He was their CEO and freely admitted to doing this all the time with TURO. Acted like it was not a big deal. I tried to get his business card but he claimed he didn't have one and wrote down his contact info on a piece of paper. I'm just glad I realized all this was going down within the first 3 hours of the rental. They had it rented for two days in all.

I wouldn't let them hide behind their employee. If they had him do this as part of his job they should take care of any fines levied by Turo.

I agree. The reason I want others to rent and drive this car is because it's revolutionary. I want them to experience what we all do on a daily basis and eventually purchase a Tesla. Doesn't have to be a 3, just any Tesla. Open their minds to an all-electric car and show the benefits far outweigh the preceding technology. It's also hard to drive a M3 right now. No test drives yet so you have a find someone who has one or rent it.

I would imagine it would be a hot market right now to rent out a 3.

Also other owners tend to rent out as well. I had a out of state X owner who traveled to Illinois and lent out my car to him. I like giving the opportunity to other owners who come in for travel/holiday to be able to secure a Tesla car for their transportation needs.

Wow... I'd be pissed if I saw they took my car apart. I have had a couple of rentals where I could see they drove my car to Detroit, and happened to spend time in a General Motors or Ford facility... saw lots of door openings and closings, but nothing too deep as far as taking it apart.

I have had a couple of recent not-so-good rentals. One guy recently (Southside Chicago guy taking his bae to the hotel for some, ya know...) and totally let the car run down. Returned it on 0 miles to Midway Airport. I have a 50 mile minimum return. Turo towed it to a Supercharger and I got $20 out of Turo for my 3 hours of trouble.

I also just had a guy try to wash it before returning it, and of course, he got rear-ended in the car wash and damaged the rear of the car. Turo is supposedly fixing it... So far it's going OK with the claims process.

Whoever said Turo is getting worse now is 100% correct. I've had a gamut of great renters, but I do see the quality declining. I'm almost nervous about the new ones that are coming up...

I rented a car on Turo 2 months ahead of time for a week long vacation I was taking out of state. Confirmed the day prior all was fine.

After we land at the airport and I turn my phone on, there is a text message that says Turo regrets to inform me that the person cancelled my entire reservation. I texted the guy because he had given me his number and he claimed that the previous renter "stole my car".

Try renting a car for a week on Turo at 10:30pm at night. I requested the refund and will never use the app again.

• Helpful
Reactions: Olle
For those renting out their Model 3, have you been willing to setup the phone as a key (by logging into the Tesla app on the renter’s phone) for any renters wishing to try out the remote features?

I do this on my model S if they take it for a week. It'd be nice if i could grant temporary access but changing passwords all the time gets tiresome.

I booked a car in Denver for a week long family vacation last summer. Over a month in advance. Owner was going to pick us up at the airport. The day before we arrived the owner said the car I booked was unavailable due to an accident and blackmailed me into cancelling. He had a lot of cars on Turo and top ratings. He refused to cancel to keep his rating up. I called Turo to tell them what was going on but after an hour waiting on the phone for someone to answer I gave up. Since I didn't want to be stuck paying a week for a non existing or accident car I tried to get owner to cancel again, to no avail. It was a chicken race. I ended up canceling in the end and deleted the app. Never Turo again.

I booked a car in Denver for a week long family vacation last summer. Over a month in advance. Owner was going to pick us up at the airport. The day before we arrived the owner said the car I booked was unavailable due to an accident and blackmailed me into cancelling. He had a lot of cars on Turo and top ratings. He refused to cancel to keep his rating up. I called Turo to tell them what was going on but after an hour waiting on the phone for someone to answer I gave up. Since I didn't want to be stuck paying a week for a non existing or accident car I tried to get owner to cancel again, to no avail. It was a chicken race. I ended up canceling in the end and deleted the app. Never Turo again.

Read my story a few posts up

• Helpful
Reactions: Olle
I rented a Model 3 recently from a fellow on Turo that just happened to be a Tesla employee and had one of the first m3s off the line. He was a great guy, very helpful, and I was his first renter. Lovely experience for me, learned a lot about the car and all Tesla models from the guy.

However, I couldn't see myself doing that with my new Model S, or any of my other vehicles for that matter. I barely trust the people I know and love to drive my car safely enough that I would be comfortable handing it off to a complete stranger. With a piece of high tech like these cars are, especially on the very crowded Silicon Valley streets, you can bet many will be distracted drivers during their rental, playing around with all the bits while going down the road.

Hey, but with that said, I'm still glad someone else isn't as paranoid as I am. :^/ It allowed me the chance for much wanted extended test drives. After renting a 3 and an S on Turo, my wife and I drove to Fremont 11 days ago and bought a brand new MS from one of the few they had to purchase immediately. Couldn't be happier and Turo helped with that.

I barely trust the people I know and love to drive my car safely enough that I would be comfortable handing it off to a complete stranger.

I just don't get AirBnB where people rent a room in their house to complete strangers! I don't like to have people I know in my house!! (well, not really).

I've rented AirBnB rooms several times (as a renter) and people are very, very trusting.

I just don't get AirBnB where people rent a room in their house to complete strangers! I don't like to have people I know in my house!! (well, not really).

I've rented AirBnB rooms several times (as a renter) and people are very, very trusting.
Ageed, it is risky. It should, in theory, be safe though if the renter has high ratings. A problem is when people game the system into false high ratings though as they did with Turo.