Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone renting on Turo?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since I don't need my car absolutely every day to get to work (thanks MTS!) I was considering renting it out maybe 1 week a month on Turo to cover costs . I have some friends who do this in Norway for the same reason with Nabobil with decent results.

Anyone had experience with Turo specifically? I've seen a few S's near me but they don't seem to get many takers, maybe the service isn't really taking off (i know it's been around a while under the name "relayrides" previously).

I did see this article in CleanTechnica a few weeks ago which lays out someone's experience in Georgia
You Bought A Tesla Model S To Rent It?

I have rented out my pickup truck on Turo and have rented cars myself but only a few times each. Experience was good on both ends and like airbnb more personable that the future Tesla swarm (fleet); it’s like helping out a new friend.

• Helpful
Reactions: twonius
I rented for the first time with Turo for a P90D that I pick up next Monday. I'll post my experience. The owner has been ultra-responsive in making the arrangements.

I have rented on Turo since I first bought the vehicle. So far, I have rented it out twelve times. I love the service and I have met some fantastic people doing it. I love being able to share this amazing vehicle with others.

Take a trip in Brent's Tesla Model S 85 7 Seater

Brent
How are people charging when they rent your car? Have you had any issues with people running out of charge?

They are using the superchargers and so far, no one has had any issues. One person said they were down to 20 miles of range when they arrived at a supercharger... I tell a lot of them to look for destination chargers. I think a lot of them also use the standard charger at the place that they are staying at.

Brent

How are people charging when they rent your car? Have you had any issues with people running out of charge?

Very late last night I pulled into a DC, followed shortly by another S. All of the stalls were full, so I told him that I'd come down in a few hours if he was willing to stay awake. He indicated that he only pulled in to charge for the moment. I asked how much charge he needed and he said half a tank. LOL So, I asked why then he paid $25as a non guest to access the hotel parking garage instead of using the supercharger ~ 5 miles away. He blinked a few times and in succession asked, why? Is the supercharger cheaper? What is a supercharger? Where is the supercharger? It dawned on me that he was a renter or borrower of the car and did little to prepare for his journey. And that's exactly why I would never let my cars out of my hands.

Disclaimer - obviously not all borrower/renters fall into this category of course, and perhaps you can pre-screen but it happens.

Very late last night I pulled into a DC, followed shortly by another S. All of the stalls were full, so I told him that I'd come down in a few hours if he was willing to stay awake. He indicated that he only pulled in to charge for the moment. I asked how much charge he needed and he said half a tank. LOL So, I asked why then he paid $25as a non guest to access the hotel parking garage instead of using the supercharger ~ 5 miles away. He blinked a few times and in succession asked, why? Is the supercharger cheaper? What is a supercharger? Where is the supercharger? It dawned on me that he was a renter or borrower of the car and did little to prepare for his journey. And that's exactly why I would never let my cars out of my hands.

Disclaimer - obviously not all borrower/renters fall into this category of course, and perhaps you can pre-screen but it happens.
that's impressive considering NAV will send you to the supercharger. I guess he hadn't figured that one out yet either.

before renting your car out you can interview them and decide whether or not they are worthy of driving it, plenty of my friends have been denied renting turo cars because the owner didnt deem them worthy.