Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone replace PS4s on Arachnids with Conti DWS 06+?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Neon001

May 12, 2019
Md
Hey folks, will be taking delivery of a refresh MS LR soon, and though I like the Arachnids, the climate in the mid-Atlantic region isn't friendly to those excellent PS4s they come with. I'd like to swap them on day one for Conti DWS 06+. Unfortunately they don't come in exactly the right sizes, so I'll need to bump the sidewall dimensions very slightly in order to get the right widths, going from 265/35/21; 295/30/21 to 265/40/21; 295/35/21. The rolling diameter is off by about 3.5%, which doesn't bother me on the speedo, but I'm a little concerned about possible suspension contact (though I feel it's unlikely as the radius increase is only 0.5").

Has anyone done this? Or used these sized tires on the stock Arachnids with the stock suspension?

If this doesn't work, I may consider a dedicated set of snows/wheels from TSportline or something. I'm just not a fan of having to swap (and store!) an entire extra set of 21" wheel/tires.

Hey folks, will be taking delivery of a refresh MS LR soon, and though I like the Arachnids, the climate in the mid-Atlantic region isn't friendly to those excellent PS4s they come with. I'd like to swap them on day one for Conti DWS 06+. Unfortunately they don't come in exactly the right sizes, so I'll need to bump the sidewall dimensions very slightly in order to get the right widths, going from 265/35/21; 295/30/21 to 265/40/21; 295/35/21. The rolling diameter is off by about 3.5%, which doesn't bother me on the speedo, but I'm a little concerned about possible suspension contact (though I feel it's unlikely as the radius increase is only 0.5").

Has anyone done this? Or used these sized tires on the stock Arachnids with the stock suspension?

If this doesn't work, I may consider a dedicated set of snows/wheels from TSportline or something. I'm just not a fan of having to swap (and store!) an entire extra set of 21" wheel/tires.

That would be a great choice of tire if it would work out. Let us know what you end up doing. Personally, that is too great a difference on the speed o for my tastes.

I have the Conti DWS 06 on 19’s on my 2014 P85D and they are the limiting factor in traction. I can’t get rated 0-60 because of wheel spin…. Newer cars would probably be even worse…

And remember the snow rating is only good while the tires have maximum tread depth which is, like, the first 15 minutes…

The molded in “S” “W” “D” are cool, but if you really intend to use them in snow, you have to replace them when the “S” wears off.

I have the Conti DWS 06 on 19’s on my 2014 P85D and they are the limiting factor in traction. I can’t get rated 0-60 because of wheel spin…. Newer cars would probably be even worse…

And remember the snow rating is only good while the tires have maximum tread depth which is, like, the first 15 minutes…

The molded in “S” “W” “D” are cool, but if you really intend to use them in snow, you have to replace them when the “S” wears off.
I appreciate the feedback. My experience with DWS 06 (or 06+) is different. I've had these on several different vehicles, including my current M3P, and never had the kinds of traction issues you're talking about, even on RWD cars that usually worse off. I understand the snow coverage doesn't exactly last until they're at the wear bars, but here in MD we rarely get snow anyway, and if it ever gets really bad I'm in my wife's SUV with snow chains on. These are the best high performance all seasons I've ever used, so the extra bit of snow usability is just gravy. If my M3P has no traction issues, I'm pretty confident my refresh MSLR won't either as a vehicle that's both heavier and has wider tires (265/295 vs 235 square). Admittedly, that'll hurt snow traction, but there's only so much you can do with wheels that wide...

For me, it's more about the tire dimensions than the model. I've had them on my M3P in similar "plus up" sizes (40 sidewalls vs 35 OEM sizes) and never had an issue. Doesn't sound like it's a popular way to go, but manufacturers usually put pretty conservative bump stops on their suspension setups, so I'm 99% sure it'll be fine, especially with a ride height adjustable car. I'll certainly share my experience if I decide to pull the trigger.

I'm currently doing the exact same research as you did in January. Did you end up getting the DWS06's with the bumped dimensions? Did they fit?