Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone replace the front DU/axle seals

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had to take the frunk out of my car due to a battery issue, in doing so I noticed that my seals are weeping/leaking. Not keen on paying Tesla $$$ in labor for a $20 part. I’ve done diff seals on other cars and generally it’s an easy job just take time to remove hubs/suspension to get to the axle/seal. Done a search and it seems a few have done this but no DIY, also I can’t find the seal part #.
Couple of questions:
1. Any tip/ tricks to watch out for, I read somewhere that the axle snap ring needs to be in a certain position to fit.
2. Anyone know seal part #, the Tesla online catalog I have doesn’t show it as a separate part.
3. Anyone source a replacement snap ring or just reuse it.
4. What fluid did you use, think I watched a YouTube that claimed it’s Dextron 6

cheers all

Funny timing, just noticed my rear seal is leaking also. Wondering if there is some low drive fluid level warning message if it gets too low? And with the lack of annual servicing requirements it still is covered under the 8 year warranty if there is no message and it runs dry?

I've done it on my P85D. No special tools needed, but there are three gotchas.

- The half-shafts are retained by snap-rings. I used a large screwdriveer and crowbar to remove, and it takes some scary force.

- When sliding the half-shafts back in BE CAREFUL to not nick the new seals.

- When sliding the half-shafts back in ensure that the opening of the snap ring is facing towards the bottom of the drive unit.

I just re-used my snap-rings. Get the seals from Tesla. If you've dropped the subframe, get a 4-wheel alignment when you're done.

I've always advocated changing the diff fluids after the first 1,000 miles. This would have prevented so many transaxles from going bad with the "milling" noise.

Front drive unit part number 1035000-00-F and earlier: Mobil SHC 629

Front drive unit part number 1035000-00-J and later: DEXRON VI (DEXRON 6) automatic transmission fluid

Rear drive unit (small and large): DEXRON VI (DEXRON 6) automatic transmission fluid

Transmission (front, small drive unit) 1.8 quarts (1,750 ml)
Transmission (rear, small drive unit) 2.4 quarts (2,250 ml)
Transmission (rear, large drive unit) 1.5 quarts (1,400 ml)

I've done it on my P85D. No special tools needed, but there are three gotchas.

- The half-shafts are retained by snap-rings. I used a large screwdriveer and crowbar to remove, and it takes some scary force.

- When sliding the half-shafts back in BE CAREFUL to not nick the new seals.

- When sliding the half-shafts back in ensure that the opening of the snap ring is facing towards the bottom of the drive unit.

I just re-used my snap-rings. Get the seals from Tesla. If you've dropped the subframe, get a 4-wheel alignment when you're done.

I've always advocated changing the diff fluids after the first 1,000 miles. This would have prevented so many transaxles from going bad with the "milling" noise.

Front drive unit part number 1035000-00-F and earlier: Mobil SHC 629

Front drive unit part number 1035000-00-J and later: DEXRON VI (DEXRON 6) automatic transmission fluid

Rear drive unit (small and large): DEXRON VI (DEXRON 6) automatic transmission fluid

Transmission (front, small drive unit) 1.8 quarts (1,750 ml)
Transmission (rear, small drive unit) 2.4 quarts (2,250 ml)
Transmission (rear, large drive unit) 1.5 quarts (1,400 ml)

Thank you for this feedback this is exactly what I was looking for. With regard to your comments on dropping the subframe, would that be your recommendation for removing the front seals? Having removed the frunk tub it seems like there is reasonable access to the RHS (Passenger) in vehicle but a lot tighter on the LHS.

Thanks again

So axle seals don't count under warranty even though it's drive unit fluid thay's leaking and at risk because of it, interesting. Pretty sure that's what leaking ever so slowly on my front unit, but to confirm.

Pretty funny there's a sort of sponge on the topside of the plastic front undercarriage cover seemingly exactly to catch fluid leak, can't figure a different reason for it.

Anyways, awesome info, rooter, thanks.

So axle seals don't count under warranty even though it's drive unit fluid thay's leaking and at risk because of it, interesting. Pretty sure that's what leaking ever so slowly on my front unit, but to confirm.

Pretty funny there's a sort of sponge on the topside of the plastic front undercarriage cover seemingly exactly to catch fluid leak, can't figure a different reason for it.

Anyways, awesome info, rooter, thanks.

I wasn’t very clear, but what I was getting at is not whether the axle seals were warranted, I know they are not, but if the drive unit gets so low on fluid it seizes up because an axle seal leaked it all out, would they try to deny that claim for the drive unit.