Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone replaced a rear parking sensor?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My left corner rear parking sensor got a minor scuff causing the "parking assist unavailable" display to come on.
Anyone replaced one of these?
Do I need to remove the entire rear bumper or will I be able to get into that area by removing the bottom panel?
Any advice appreciated.

This sensor popped inside our 2015 P85D rear bumper recently. I called The Tesla Pomona Body Shop and Jesse Maytorena (909) 569-0280 scheduled our repair a few days later… and had us out in ~ 2 hours. MUCH better than waiting 3 weeks for a Tesla Service Center appointment.

I highly recommend Tesla Collision Center in Pomona for all your collision repairs. The keep bumpers in stock and do all the work “in house”. They replaced our rear bumper a couple of years ago and did a phenomenal job and we’re 30% to 50% less and WEEKS faster than the independent Tesla certified body shops.

EF2AE2B2-1EDA-4D7E-A43A-D2F1E551535F.jpeg

I have this same thing shortly coming (sensor is still in place but “going to fall in”) on my car so can you say what did it cost and what was the remedy?
I ended up just popping out the left corner of the rear bumper and saw the wiring had come off the sensor, reattached it and the parking assist feature was up and running again. Tesla wanted $175 for labor (1hr) and $120 for new sensor (painted). I'm sure they would of only charged me the labor and not made me pay for the sensor but you never know since they would had to send out sensor to get painted.
If your sensor issue is the middle ones on the rear bumper and not the left or right corner then you will have to remove the entire bumper to gain access.

I installed the EcoHitch which requires that you take off the entire rear bumper to mount their hitch. Based on what I saw during the job, you will need to take off the bumper to re-mount those sensors. It's a huge pain, but I don't think you have any other option.

I ended up just popping out the left corner of the rear bumper and saw the wiring had come off the sensor, reattached it and the parking assist feature was up and running again. Tesla wanted $175 for labor (1hr) and $120 for new sensor (painted). I'm sure they would of only charged me the labor and not made me pay for the sensor but you never know since they would had to send out sensor to get painted.
If your sensor issue is the middle ones on the rear bumper and not the left or right corner then you will have to remove the entire bumper to gain access.
I have a similar problem but with the RHS sensor that needs to be popped back in.

Was it hard to pop the corner off only? did you have to remove the bottom black underside bit? Any instructions you can link me to that can help? Thank you.

I have a similar problem but with the RHS sensor that needs to be popped back in.

Was it hard to pop the corner off only? did you have to remove the bottom black underside bit? Any instructions you can link me to that can help? Thank you.
If I recall, I did take the bottom panel off but I don't think I need to. You will need to partially take the inner wheel well panel off I think it was a 10mm nut and a push on retainer, so you can get to another screw on the bumper. Then just pull out on the bumper to unlatch from the quarter panel. It's a long reach to get to the corner sensor and be careful not to pull bumper out too far to avoid damaging it.