Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone riding 19" wheels? Range improvements?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been searching around everywhere and can't find any data regarding Model X range with 19" wheels. It appears if you take a 90D you gain around 35 miles range from 22" to 20". Essentially almost the equivalent of stepping up a battery size to 100D. I'm curious if you went down to a 19" or even an 18" could you muster our another 15 to 20 mile range?

For those that aren't concerned about the vanity of larger wheels, this could be a cost effective way of increasing range further without having to both purchase and tow around larger batteries that you may not always use.

Any thoughts?

In addition to the 20" slipstreams on my wife's X, we also have 19" winter wheels. Unfortunately they typically get LESS range than the 20's, but that's because we run the 19's in the winter and the 20's in the summer. So sorry, but that's probably not helpful data. My guess is that, if run at similar times, they would have pretty similar results.

The 20's are not only lighter than the 22's, but they are more streamlined - so I assume that's why there's a significant bump going from 22 to 20. Going father down to 19 will save you a little more weight, but unless you get a very streamlined wheels (offhand can't think of much in 19") I don't think it's going to be much different for range. At least not at speed; being lighter they may help a little around town.

Reactions: seantay00
I have only bought the 19" wheels so far. Wanted the Gray to go with my White car. They were on sale at TSportline in late August for $1440, but not in stock so I have not gotten them yet. I was going to order the tires after getting the wheels.

Other than slightly lighter, the 19" rear tires will now be 8.5" tread width rather than 9" inches. That might gain you a little extra range.

People focus way to much on Wheel size and weight and completely ignore the tire (compound) difference itself. The main difference between the 20” and the 22” is the tire compound. Not the rim diameter or the weight.

Pick an efficient tire you want then go find the Rim that fits. Smaller rims do end up with more choices, but not always. Staggered really limits your choices though.

Look for tires that say “Eco” or similar. I’ve had great luck with Pirelli Eco tires. Eco on Pirelli means Fuel Efficient, Low Noise, Long Tread Life and Greener Materials.

Higher tread life tends to be a lower rolling resistance tire. But you will lose some on braking and wet handling with high tread life tires.

If you look at Euro tire web sites you will see a rating for fuel with like 7-8 grade levels. That will dominate your range on any OEM size rim.

Reactions: SSedan
Right after I switched to my 19" winter tires, I took a long road trip (>1000km return). It was colder, but not below freezing yet, and my car was predicting arriving at destinations with much lower battery (eg. 5%) than I'm used to, possibly due to the colder weather and rain. However, I always arrived with much more battery (eg. 25%) than initially predicted.

On the outbound trip, I did drive more conservatively since I didn't have many charging options at my destination. But on my return trip, it didn't seem to matter how fast I drove, the predicted range always kept going up. In the end, I ended up driving regularly.

I think this is for a number of reasons:
1.) Car was trained to expect higher usage due to previously installed 20" summer wheels (staggered)
2.) Possibly different algorithm in latest OTA 36.1 update. It may be more conservative on range prediction

Note: After I put on the winter tires, I updated the MCU to reflect the 19" rims.

Right after I switched to my 19" winter tires, I took a long road trip (>1000km return). It was colder, but not below freezing yet, and my car was predicting arriving at destinations with much lower battery (eg. 5%) than I'm used to, possibly due to the colder weather and rain. However, I always arrived with much more battery (eg. 25%) than initially predicted.

On the outbound trip, I did drive more conservatively since I didn't have many charging options at my destination. But on my return trip, it didn't seem to matter how fast I drove, the predicted range always kept going up. In the end, I ended up driving regularly.

I think this is for a number of reasons:
1.) Car was trained to expect higher usage due to previously installed 20" summer wheels (staggered)
2.) Possibly different algorithm in latest OTA 36.1 update. It may be more conservative on range prediction

Note: After I put on the winter tires, I updated the MCU to reflect the 19" rims.

switching to 19” might have cleared some history. I suspect range will be similar. I have new 19” from Tesla sitting in garage.