TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Anyone run into this problem?

Discussion in 'Model X: User Interface' started by blueinsofla, Aug 19, 2016.

1. blueinsofla

blueinsofla Member

Last night, my wife parked her Model X in our garage next to my Model S, went into the house, realized she left something in the second row, and when she returned to open the driver's side FWD, the driver door popped open and slammed into the door of my Model S. We were both under the impression that sensors should prevent this scenario from occurring, and my only thought is that she was standing just aft of the driver's door with her key fob and the vehicle must have assumed she needed to enter the driver's seat and popped the door fully open. Is this something I should address with my local service center? In the meantime, I have disabled the auto-open feature.

Thanks in advance for any information you can share to help remedy this issue and prevent damage.

2. Saghost

Saghost Active Member

One of the things I'm afraid of. Yes, the FWD and side looking AP sensors are supposed to prevent that from happening.

I understand that if you approach from the front of the car, the auto present barely opens the door until you walk past it, putting you in a position to grab the door before it hits something; depending on the geometry involved this might be an option as a workaround.

3. qadaemon

qadaemon Member

Yep, ours has no problem hitting my wife's wrangler, or attacking me if I walk towards it from the front:

The auto-open door could be so much smarter.