Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone run out of gas yet?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone run out of gas, I mean charge, yet or come quite close to running out when driving or parked away from a charge point?

I’m assuming if you run out of charge you call your insurance company (if you have that sort of cover), call the AA, call Tesla support or join up a whole bunch of extension leads and look for the nearest 3 pin plug.

How close have you come to running out of charge?

A guy in the US intentionally ran his Model 3 to zero, to see what happened:

Short version: Don’t run out of charge. Tow mode only lasts a certain amount of time when your battery is very low and you can’t put the vehicle into neutral to even push it.

Started at 10%. Estimated arrival 2-3%. Arrived with 5% driving <60mph. Nerve-racking experience trying to make sure I joined the correct direction on the M6 to get to the nearest supercharger otherwise I'd probably still be pushing the car home.

Passed supercharger while CCS were free then on the way back arrived at a 2 stall CCS supercharger with 2-3% only to find a S and a 3 charging and all others empty, then eventually managed to get a spot and 40kw shortly after!

stopped when some chap ran out in an MX the other day.
Damn I wished I had V2V to help him out, he was literally just a few miles from home.
A few minutes of my time could have saved him what I guess was hours to sort out unless he took the risk to just get it towed even though Tesla dont recommend this.

Damn I wished I had V2V to help him out, he was literally just a few miles from home.
A few minutes of my time could have saved him what I guess was hours to sort out unless he took the risk to just get it towed even though Tesla dont recommend this.

Interesting, was he parked up somewhere when the charge ran out?

What’s V2V?

How did he sort out in the end?

Tesla should really sort out V2V. V2H would be a nice addition, but V2V to help out a stranded EV is more than a "nice to have".

If they wanted, they could also add in alerts, so that a stranded Tesla in your area would pop up on your display and you could go help.

Granted, they'd probably need to make an extra cable to support this (with either an inverter or dc-dc converter built in) and these wouldn't be cheap, but for the "community spirit" and good will it would be a brilliant move.

Reactions: StephenEdinb

Breakdown companies should carry chargers with them to get people a few miles range, I know LV will tow your car to the nearest charger which is good, no harm in towing if done correctly!

Reactions: doghousePVD
Interesting, was he parked up somewhere when the charge ran out?

What’s V2V?

How did he sort out in the end?

Vehicle to Vehicle
(also V2H Vehicle to Home)

dunno how it was sorted - he had called the AA who arrived shortly after i stopped. I checked they had no charging ability (AA + other rescue companies really need to get with the EV agenda), but maybe they towed esp as was only a short distance

Is it "better" for AA to have lots of new charged batteries in vans around the country just in case of a flat battery EV or just to use any old truck to take the flat battery EV a few miles to next charger?

I have no idea of the answer but cost and environmental impact of those batteries, compared to how much use they actually get, has to be a factor. I would imagine the time impact could go either way depending on luck of the draw and when the AA arrives.

If they were running electric vans anyway, however....

Is it "better" for AA to have lots of new charged batteries in vans around the country just in case of a flat battery EV or just to use any old truck to take the flat battery EV a few miles to next charger?

I have no idea of the answer but cost and environmental impact of those batteries, compared to how much use they actually get, has to be a factor. I would imagine the time impact could go either way depending on luck of the draw and when the AA arrives.

Should just need an inverter on their diesel engine that could pump out a few kWh at 2000rmp or something. Sit for 15mins at 16 or 32 amps for 10nor 20 miles of range?

Not an environmentaly friendly approach, but realistic and less space in already busy vans than batteries.

(Wait, how big would that inverter be to supply 4/8kw?)

the other factor is the length of time the AA guy would have to hang around to do the charge during which he cannot be helping others. Time is money as they say!

the other factor is the length of time the AA guy would have to hang around to do the charge during which he cannot be helping others. Time is money as they say!

Guess it needs not to take too much more time than the tow.

How many kwh does the van need to provide to make sure the EV can get to the next charger? 3 or 4 kwh enough? It might still feel pretty iffy with only that in your battery and at 16A that's an hour's charging.

V2V to help out a stranded EV is more than a "nice to have

Personally I'm not in the market for the addition cost to the vehicle and R&D etc. for that blue moon occurrence, and even if I had it I wouldn't be that thrilled sat there transferring juice. Not quite the same as having a gallon of Petrol in the boot!. I think much better that e.g. AA has vehicles with battery packs that can do that (I have seen those in USA). Or perhaps just enable towing the vehicles in Neutral? Just need to rope in the boot then :) (YouTubes available of people being towed to get a charge ... fairly sure that isn't in the manual!)

the other factor is the length of time the AA guy would have to hang around to do the charge during which he cannot be helping others.

Do they fix stuff road-side these days? I have no idea, but last time I looked under the bonnet on an ICE and all I could get to was the Dip Stick! Old-pair-of-tights instead of fan belt didn't look like an option :)

If, in practice, they have to flatbed/tow most of the breakdowns then I don't suppose flat-battery will waste any more of their time, and much lower incidence of mechanical failure of EVs might threaten the vehicle-recovery busies model anyway? Only need to move the car to the nearest charger - whereas for a breakdown its going to be recovery to home location I guess.

Has anyone run out of gas

IMHO its quite hard to do (well, in a Tesla, other cars don't have useful info about range on dashboard [James and Kate YouTube on MG ZS Range, particularly the bit at 7:00, had very different on screen info compared to actual - Daft idea].). The Tesla TRIP graph shows you predicted arrival SOC%, and then an actual line and revised prediction, so when that drops very low you have earliest possible warning to do something about it (slow down, or plan an additional refuelling stop).

DnIfDD_W0AEKCkr.jpg

First example random-pick from Google ... driver is doing considerably better than (grey) prediction :), perhaps slowed down.

I have had one touch-and-go journey where I left at 90% and arrived at 50% having left late and driven like the wind, I thought nothing of it as no rush on return leg so 50% should have been fine. Return, Summer day, was torrential thunderstorm and even driving at 50 MPH I got home with 1% - but from the info in the car I knew early one that the journey was going to be trouble; it was only because it happened early in my ownership that I didn't immediately recognise the significance, and way back then far fewer charging opportunities - I would have needed RFID or membership with funds-on-account already set up for pretty much any 3rd party charge that I might have been available ... back then.

Reactions: Roy W.
Ha! I went to Google the mobile recharging/recovery vehicles I had seen in USA and found RAC and AA ones instead!

"The RAC EV Boost system is powered by an electrical generator mated to the patrol van’s 1.9-litre diesel engine, and sends charge through an inverter to the power unit in the stranded EV."

This on the AA's Irish site "AA Rescue has today unveiled a new mobile charging unit for electric vehicles, with the organisation highlighting that it expects the number of electric cars on Irish roads to climb quickly in the coming years."

Reactions: Roy W.