Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone same as me hesitate to buy a new Tesla because of FSD?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am the 1st batch Model 3 buyer. At that time, no AWD available. I always want to buy a AWD version of Tesla because I believe that will handles better here in Toronto while snowing. With recent, price decrease of Model Y, I am thinking this again. But my Model 3 has FSD which I enjoy very much. I cant afford to spend 19K for that.
Anyone here on the same boat?

Reactions: Falkirk
I wish Tesla would let us transfer the FSD to the new vehicle. In any case your 3 with FSD should be worth more to a buyer.

Nope. FSD is trash.

I gave up hanging on to vehicles in the hopes it would someday be feature complete. I don’t miss it at all.
I don't think I would miss the FSD, but would miss the Enhanced Autopilot, mostly summon, and wouldn't want to pay another $7800, just for that.

Reactions: akidesir
Just pay the monthly fee for it instead of lifelong out the purchase price. Or save more by paying for the annual rate. Take the $19k and put into investments and use the gains / dividends to pay for the FSD payments.

In the US, you can get Enhanced Autopilot for $6000 and FSD for $15,000. Do they offer separate EAP in Canada?
EAP gets you everything except stop sign and traffic light control (besides FSD beta of course)
I would be tempted to get the EAP at that price if buying again, although I would probably just live with out it and do something else with the 6k. (I have FSD, but bought it when it was cheaper)
EAP subscription price seems too high at $100 a month. Should minimally be $80 a month to keep same ratio as purchase price.

I am the 1st batch Model 3 buyer. At that time, no AWD available. I always want to buy a AWD version of Tesla because I believe that will handles better here in Toronto while snowing. With recent, price decrease of Model Y, I am thinking this again. But my Model 3 has FSD which I enjoy very much. I cant afford to spend 19K for that.
Anyone here on the same boat?
I would buy a relatively recent Y with FSD, considering the FSD don't have much value in the used market.

I agree with you though, it would be hard for me to buy another car that can't take me home after work. Just seems backward to drive an entire trip.

I had the same dilemma last year. I had a 2018 LR 3 just like you. I regularly used normal summon and auto lane changes. I thought I would really miss the auto lane change function but it’s been a non-issue. The manual method does require intervention but there’s a graceful trick to it to minimize driver input.

I upgraded to a P3D and love it. I definitely won’t ever pay for FSD again though.

Reactions: 03DSG and akidesir
I remember you, we have inter-changed few comments back in 2018. Teach me what you mean by that..
Yes we did!

So essentially if you don’t have auto lane change, when you engage your turn signal the car drops you out of auto steer but keeps TACC engaged. I then change lanes then double tap the drive selector stalk to reengage AP again and it turns off the signal automatically.

Normally people would do the following:
(while in AP)
1. Turn on the turn signal
2. Change lanes
3. Disengage the turn signal
4. Re-engage AP

The process I use basically eliminates step 3. It’s not as elegant as having auto-lane change but I wouldn’t pay upwards of $20k for that functionality.

At this point, despite the supposed price drop I would have to think twice before repurchasing the X. It's currently over $40K more than when I did the order back in 2020 once you add in FSD. The only buy-in would be a subscription but since it's not available in Canada, I cannot see adding it. It's certainly not at a sufficient level to justify a purchase. I was hesitant when it was +$10K, but solidly would hold off at $19K.5.

The only good thing is that I still should be able to get full price if I were to sell it right now despite the resale decline.

At this point, despite the supposed price drop I would have to think twice before repurchasing the X. It's currently over $40K more than when I did the order back in 2020 once you add in FSD. The only buy-in would be a subscription but since it's not available in Canada, I cannot see adding it. It's certainly not at a sufficient level to justify a purchase. I was hesitant when it was +$10K, but solidly would hold off at $19K.5.

The only good thing is that I still should be able to get full price if I were to sell it right now despite the resale decline.
You are lucky that you can sell your X "full price". I did some research on 2nd hand Model 3 market, the FSD feature will only give me 2K CDN max.

You are lucky that you can sell your X "full price". I did some research on 2nd hand Model 3 market, the FSD feature will only give me 2K CDN max.
I'm not surprised at the valuation of FSD, although I do think it's a bit undervalued (should be roughly $4-5K in my mind). Unfortunately, you won't be able to recoup anything more than that unless a release of it suddenly breaks through to a competent Level 4 (without requiring another investment into the hardware side of it). If SuperCruise is valued at $2800, AP should still be worth more. It would be interesting to compare the up front costs of each manufacturer to see how much they charge.

I believe that my "full price" is a temporary situation now that full production is ongoing and backlogs are clearing. It'll probably drop in a short while, especially if the recession drags on.

I ordered my Model Y on Feb 2022, and I took delivery on Nov 2022. So it locked the price of FSD which was still CAD$10600 and for EAP it was CAD$7800. For less than CAD$3000 in difference, I decided to include FSD before taking delivery. I wouldn't purchase FSD if I have to pay the current price.