TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Anyone seen damage like this to the jack points?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by RDaneel, Apr 23, 2018.

1. RDaneel

RDaneel Member

First, the good news - I picked up my Model 3 today and it drives like a dream. The delivery center was great about adjusting the bumper slightly and made the whole experience very pleasant. Unfortunately, when I got my car to my detailers for film installation, I checked out the underside of the car and saw that both front jack points are mangled. I'll try to attach a pic. I'm really confused as to how this would happen. I can't imagine they jacked up the car to adjust the bumper, and if they did wouldn't they have used a big lift?

Anyone seen anything similar or know what would be involved in a fix? I've called the delivery center and sent pics, but am waiting on an answer... Thanks!

Attached Files:

• Informative x 2
  2. ACA Man

ACA Man Member

I’d take car back to the SC right away.

• Like x 5
  3. RDaneel

RDaneel Member

I think that will probably happen. I'll get it back with the film installed in a day or two. Stinks that I have had the car in my possession for a grand total of two hours and I'm already looking at giving it back...

4. run-the-joules

run-the-joules Active Member

Jesus H. Well, I guess someone had to be the first to see what a bad lift does to these, I'm sorry it turned out to be you.

5. RDaneel

RDaneel Member

Yeah, thanks. Here's what I'm confused about - as far as I know, this was at the Tesla service center in Springfield. If there is anyone who should know how to lift the car...

6. run-the-joules

run-the-joules Active Member

I wonder if they kicked it over to a body place to do the bumper adjustment and they lifted it wrong? HIGHLY speculative but I know when I had them (not that SC, but mine out here) remove a small ding I found at delivery, that was actually handled by a third party.

7. kengchang

kengchang Active Member

Damn, how are they gonna fix that?

• Like x 2
  8. N5329K

N5329K Active Member

If you take it back to the SC after the film is installed, the SC will probably blame the film guys.
    Just saying.
    Robin

• Like x 16
  9. gaswalla

gaswalla P4201/85/airsusp/pano/19i

Agree with above...take it back immediately

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  10. Justmurr

Justmurr Member

Wow. Adding a note to my delivery checklist - even though I will be checking the underside for loading/unloading damage. Will also be sure to let my film guys know about the potential for this damage.
    Thanks for posting the info, sorry for the bad luck.

11. davidc18

davidc18 Active Member

Sorry this happened and I agree with everyone above to document, email the photos and take it back asap.

12. SMAlset

SMAlset Well-Known Member

I wouldn't do film install at this point either. The fewer people who've done something with the car the better. Feel for you. I know it was hard for us to drive the car we had waited 2-1/2 months for to be delivered and go straight for film and wait another week before finally being able to take it home. To spot damage to the car and have to wait longer can't be fun. But look out for yourself and have less of a hassle later.

• Like x 2
  13. Daniel in SD

Daniel in SD Well-Known Member

That's crazy. It doesn't really look like damage from just lifting to me. The jack point is ripped off! Maybe it slid off a jack somehow?
    I wonder if the jack points are part of the unibody. If that's the case it's going to have to go to a body shop to be welded...

14. buddhra

buddhra Member

I have similar rocker panel damage on both sides, but it's more towards the middle of the car between the front and rear doors. It looks like it scraped during loading or unloading. I noticed a week after I took delivery.

I took pictures and sent them to the service center to document and get it on record. They're ordering parts and will repair at my convenience. I love the car and don't want to give it up!

It's not the emergency that people are making it out to be.

Attached Files:

• Informative x 2
    • Like x 2
  15. favo

favo P3D+ owner

Good attitude. Things happen. No sense getting too upset, as long as they are addressing in a reasonable fashion. (Easy for me to say, since it's not my baby. :))

• Like x 5
  16. Subhuman

Subhuman Member

I think I would have preferred the crooked bumper :eek:

• Funny x 1
  17. Daniel in SD

Daniel in SD Well-Known Member

It seems possible that the damage was done before the car was even delivered to you. It looks like there's damage on the rocker panels too. It look like it might be more of a scrape than improper jack placement.

18. Munch

Munch Member

So when are jackpoints required when lifting the car? Just with a regular jack or with a two post lift as well?

19. Xenoilphobe

Xenoilphobe Active Member

Bet it was done when the loaded or unloaded it from the car transport.

• Like x 9
    • Informative x 1
  20. RDaneel

RDaneel Member

I was worried about that, too, which is why I have time-stamped photos from only 2 hours after I left the delivery center. I would be really disappointed in Tesla if they try to blame someone else!