Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone seen damage like this to the jack points?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks for all the feedback, everyone. I'll let you know what Tesla says. The Delivery Coordinator didn't think that they would have lifted the car to adjust the bumper, so that would suggest the transporter might have been the issue. Definitely a problem they should address so it doesn't happen to more people.

I thought about not going through with the film, but there's only so long I'm willing to keep my rental car, so I kind of want to get the film part over with. Here's hoping that doesn't bite me in the tail.

I have similar rocker panel damage on both sides, but it's more towards the middle of the car between the front and rear doors. It looks like it scraped during loading or unloading. I noticed a week after I took delivery.

I took pictures and sent them to the service center to document and get it on record. They're ordering parts and will repair at my convenience. I love the car and don't want to give it up!

It's not the emergency that people are making it out to be.

Did you notice those drips in the paint and what appears to be lines from masking tape? It also looks like they painted over some dirt/debris. I think your car was re-painted in that area.

Reactions: navguy12
Did you notice those drips in the paint and what appears to be lines from masking tape? It also looks like they painted over some dirt/debris. I think your car was re-painted in that area.

Fortunately, I think everything in the photo is the unpainted plastic under the car or the frame, so I am hopeful that there was no repainting going on. But maybe I'm missing what you're seeing?

I did notice and maybe. It took 9 weeks for me to get the car after order confirmation and it was during the time that very few white cars were being delivered. There could have been troubles in the paint department at the factory.

Keep in mind that this area is underneath the car completely. It's not visible unless you're laying on the ground.

Fortunately, I think everything in the photo is the unpainted plastic under the car or the frame, so I am hopeful that there was no repainting going on. But maybe I'm missing what you're seeing?

I believe I'm looking at the side of the car. Specifically, where the white bottom edge of the door meets the black plastic rocker panel.

See attached image:
  • Paint over dirt: Red circle
  • Paint drips: Blue circles
  • Line from the masking tape in yellow highlight

Attachments

• RePaint.JPG
    RePaint.JPG
    112.3 KB · Views: 396
I believe I'm looking at the side of the car. Specifically, where the white bottom edge of the door meets the black plastic rocker panel.

See attached image:
  • Paint over dirt: Red circle
  • Paint drips: Blue circles
  • Line from the masking tape in yellow highlight

Ah, sorry, I see what you mean. I was looking at a different picture. I agree with your diagnosis...

First, the good news - I picked up my Model 3 today and it drives like a dream. The delivery center was great about adjusting the bumper slightly and made the whole experience very pleasant. Unfortunately, when I got my car to my detailers for film installation, I checked out the underside of the car and saw that both front jack points are mangled. I'll try to attach a pic. I'm really confused as to how this would happen. I can't imagine they jacked up the car to adjust the bumper, and if they did wouldn't they have used a big lift?

Anyone seen anything similar or know what would be involved in a fix? I've called the delivery center and sent pics, but am waiting on an answer... Thanks!
Whatever hit it was yellow I guess as see some paint transfer. Are the lifts Tesla use yellow? Could have been from loading/unloading on the transport too. Not exactly sure how that can be fixed as assume the rocker panel with the jack point is either welded and/or bonded into the rest of the body. Is that part of the body steel or aluminum? Either way still take pretty good hit to tear the material like that.

First, the good news - I picked up my Model 3 today and it drives like a dream. The delivery center was great about adjusting the bumper slightly and made the whole experience very pleasant. Unfortunately, when I got my car to my detailers for film installation, I checked out the underside of the car and saw that both front jack points are mangled. I'll try to attach a pic. I'm really confused as to how this would happen. I can't imagine they jacked up the car to adjust the bumper, and if they did wouldn't they have used a big lift?

Anyone seen anything similar or know what would be involved in a fix? I've called the delivery center and sent pics, but am waiting on an answer... Thanks!
This is not lift damage. It looks like this happened from driving over something where the car bottomed out. You should give the car back to Tesla and ask for another car. This has to be welded and will become a rust spot. I have had cars with this kind of repair and it inevitably rusts, no matter how well the workshop said they would fix it. If you decide to keep the car, ask for a lifelong warranty against rust in that specific spot. Just my 2 cents

This is not lift damage. It looks like this happened from driving over something where the car bottomed out. You should give the car back to Tesla and ask for another car. This has to be welded and will become a rust spot. I have had cars with this kind of repair and it inevitably rusts, no matter how well the workshop said they would fix it. If you decide to keep the car, ask for a lifelong warranty against rust in that specific spot. Just my 2 cents

Respectfully, I don't agree. There is essentially no damage to any part of the underside of the car that I can see other than the jack points (which do not protrude from the bottom of the car), so it seems impossible that the car could have scraped something and damaged only those two exact points, and on both sides of the car with no visible damage in the middle.

I was worried about that, too, which is why I have time-stamped photos from only 2 hours after I left the delivery center. I would be really disappointed in Tesla if they try to blame someone else!
It looks like the car was sliding along something the way the metal is peeled back and also the damage to the plastic around it. It is hard to explain how it happened on both sides. Maybe it was somehow driven while still resting on the jack points.

Respectfully, I don't agree. There is essentially no damage to any part of the underside of the car that I can see other than the jack points (which do not protrude from the bottom of the car), so it seems impossible that the car could have scraped something and damaged only those two exact points, and on both sides of the car with no visible damage in the middle.
Check the picture again. It is clearly scrapped ahead of the jack point. I believe that is plastic tray on the bottom of the battery.

I have similar rocker panel damage on both sides, but it's more towards the middle of the car between the front and rear doors. It looks like it scraped during loading or unloading. I noticed a week after I took delivery.

I took pictures and sent them to the service center to document and get it on record. They're ordering parts and will repair at my convenience. I love the car and don't want to give it up!

It's not the emergency that people are making it out to be.
Sidebar question: the bottom edge of the white painted area looks like little white drips and a cut line parallel to the top edge of the black area that looks like a sloppy (repaint) masking line. What is this?

There's definitely some ancillary scraping on the plastic shroud, but whatever ripped the steel (which took quite a bit of force, I'm assuming) doesn't seem to have been contacting the car at other spots. That much force would have probably totally destroyed the plastic, not just gouged it. It's a real mystery, but I agree with folks here that think it was the transporter.

Tesla has said that they will make it right, either with a repair or by building me a new Model 3. I'm REALLY hoping to avoid that second option.

Sidebar question: the bottom edge of the white painted area looks like little white drips and a cut line parallel to the top edge of the black area that looks like a sloppy (repaint) masking line. What is this?

There are definitely tiny paint drips there and down the length of the car on both sides. The ridge is just the lowest point of the rocker panel before it curves back up and under the black plastic. I don't see any evidence of overspray that makes me think it's has been repainted and I don't think that's a line from masking tape. I really have no way of knowing what caused it since I only know what has happened to the car since delivery, but my guess is that it's an imperfection from the factory. It's the only flaw I've found in the paint.

• Informative
The paint issues look like factory imperfections.

The damage to the jack points looks to be from loading or unloading on the car carrier. The transitions between sections on the trailer are pretty abrupt and a driver who is in a hurry can easily bottom out the car. Older car trailers can also have bent ramps and decks that make the car more succeptable to bottoming out.

Hey I did not know you were the guy with jack point problems. Funny I am the one you asked WTF with the wind reduction thread. The lapse of 19 mins...neighbors. I did respond eventually. Need to take longer trips to see if it stays in place. The rpm stuff is not working for some other person.

Sucks about the damage. Pretty much agree with everyone that posted here. You have a positive attitude about it. Enjoy your car and keep us posted.

Hey I did not know you were the guy with jack point problems. Funny I am the one you asked WTF with the wind reduction thread. The lapse of 19 mins...neighbors. I did respond eventually. Need to take longer trips to see if it stays in place. The rpm stuff is not working for some other person.

Sucks about the damage. Pretty much agree with everyone that posted here. You have a positive attitude about it. Enjoy your car and keep us posted.

The RPM stuff only works if the wind noise is coming from the roof, which I'm sure there is wind noise from the roof on most cars. But apparently there's also been a lot of wind noise from the A pillars.

• Informative
Reactions: cellogig
The RPM stuff only works if the wind noise is coming from the roof, which I'm sure there is wind noise from the roof on most cars. But apparently there's also been a lot of wind noise from the A pillars.
I am involved with a thread called wind reduction. We are trying different materials to see if can reduce the noise. I personally am not bothered by it but just helping out. A pillars? I will do a search.