Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone seen damage like this to the jack points?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had a great experience to drive my S for 3 years and the 3 for 6 months. Always have the adapter pucks with you regardless where you take your car. Costco who told me they do "hundreds" of Tesla tire changes when I walked around (They don't let you through the side door) saw they were positioning there rack under the jackpoints without adapters and I cried foul and told them to look in the trunk and use mine. Personally I think Tesla could have designed these better but even there documentation is not clear to use these just the points of lift? The Costco people actually went on line to show me this documentation. I've looked now under a few at superchargers and have seen damage caused from not using these. Of course the owner asks what I think and I tell them looks ok but consider using the adapters and get total blank stares. Maybe a Tesla engineer can weigh in??

Attachments

• TeslaManualLiftPts.JPG
    TeslaManualLiftPts.JPG
    131.6 KB · Views: 488
I think that will probably happen. I'll get it back with the film installed in a day or two. Stinks that I have had the car in my possession for a grand total of two hours and I'm already looking at giving it back...
I’d delay film if I had it only 2 hrs...this was done at the SC,,,needs to be brought to their attention as soon as possible so there is no question about what could have been done after 2 hrs

Bet it was done when the loaded or unloaded it from the car transport.

Yes, THIS.

If you play Detective for a few seconds you can see that there are longitudinal scrapes, obviously from the bottom of the car being scraped along something, such as a loading ramp on a transport truck. It would be nearly impossible for your local SC to have done this.

I would recommend lifting it a bit higher and taking a look at the battery bottom as well. Not likely to have damage, but seeing as it's the most important/expensive part of the car, well, it's worth a look.

Glad your SC is being responsive, but this very much appears to be transport damage from delivery drivers that don't care much and are in a hurry.

Just a quick update. I brought the car to my original pickup location (Springfield, NJ) and dropped it off with service. I was very appreciative to get a Model S 85 as a loaner rather than another ICE SUV. The S is about 4 years old, I think, and it is amazing how far Tesla has come! I can't believe I ever considered a used S over the 3, as the 3 is so far advanced.

Anyway, about the jack point damage, I got a call from a service lead. He walked me through a description of how rigorous the pre-delivery inspection is, how careful they are with the cars, etc., then indicated that his belief is that this was damaged caused by the shop that installed my lowering springs. He also stated that the damage is to the unibody and is "not repairable," and if I were to file an insurance claim that "the care would be totaled, they don't repair the unibody." While I saw red, I calmly explained how I, too, am stumped as to how this happened, as I had documented to Tesla that the damage existed about an hour after I picked up the car. I reminded them that I sent photos about 70 minutes after I left the showroom, and explained that the lowering springs were installed weeks later. I was asked to provide some documentation regarding when the springs were installed (which I emailed), and was told that they were "opening an engineering case" for this issue and I would get a call back. The gentleman was very polite and knowledgeable, but it is frustrating to have to keep explaining over and over that I could not have caused this damage in the amount of time I had the car. The lesson is: INSPECT YOUR MODEL 3 and DOCUMENT, DOCUMENT, DOCUMENT. If I didn't have the time stamps on the photos and my email to my delivery advisor on pickup day, it is 100% clear that Tesla would be telling me to pound sand.

Here's hoping that Tesla is able to come up with some proposal to make things right. It isn't helping my feelings to be told that this $50,000 car "would be totaled" due to irreparable damage that existed prior to delivery.

"Totaled" because a lower body scrape?!? Now that's a new one . . .

Where does Tesla hire such people, or are they just making it up as they go along?

View attachment 454528 Hi. I just picked up a Model 3 with some smaller damage to one jack point. How do you rate this? How can this be fixed? Is this the Tesla normal with a new car?

Just looks to be wear and tear to me. These things are going to get scratched and scuffed as they’re used, but they shouldn’t be torn or bent.

94FC73DA-6492-40DB-9834-F19257EB2993.jpeg
Hmm I guess it's an optical illusion, I thought that white mark was a scuff and not a crack. If that's a crack then yeah, shouldn't be there. Agree that it's not likely to cause an issue though.
This is a crack. I hava another pic. Definitly no wear and tear. This car was never lifted and is brandnew. How can this be fixed? Tesla must have done this. Maybe while on a truck.

Attachments

• 04FEC41D-E079-4D95-A21C-F9E2482E0029.jpeg
    04FEC41D-E079-4D95-A21C-F9E2482E0029.jpeg
    128.4 KB · Views: 227
View attachment 454740
This is a crack. I hava another pic. Definitly no wear and tear. This car was never lifted and is brandnew. How can this be fixed? Tesla must have done this. Maybe while on a truck.
Yeah, definitely can tell it's a crack. I suspect someone improperly tied down the car during transit using some ratcheting straps. Those jack points can't take that kind of lateral stress apparently, based on all these pictures of new cars that have never been lifted having these cracks there.

I'd get an SC appointment to check it out, but I also wouldn't expect much. They're likely to say "Yes, it's cracked, but it's not a problem." or worse, "that must've happened after you took delivery - did you not report it immediately upon receipt?"

Yeah, definitely can tell it's a crack. I suspect someone improperly tied down the car during transit using some ratcheting straps. Those jack points can't take that kind of lateral stress apparently, based on all these pictures of new cars that have never been lifted having these cracks there.

I'd get an SC appointment to check it out, but I also wouldn't expect much. They're likely to say "Yes, it's cracked, but it's not a problem." or worse, "that must've happened after you took delivery - did you not report it immediately upon receipt?"

I’m still in my 7 days of ownership. Would you bring back the car or simply accept it?

View attachment 454740

The jack points are integrated into the battery pack. The only way to fix it is to replace the battery pack... Your damage is pretty minor. I would accept some goodwill to leave yours alone if it was me.

They are replacing my battery pack now to fix this damage... All 4 of my jack points were ripped probably from tie downs during transport... Worse than this.

They wouldn't offer me goodwill. Service refused to fix the damage until I provided a VIN of another member on here that had the same damage repaired, then magically they were able to order the part, which was ordered on 8/20 and still hasn't shipped. Car has been at service since 8/7...

Thanks super20g for your reply. I’m still wondering why the jack points are that fragile. My older car had big round plates to jack the car up. With this small jack point you’re almost asking for damage. And I have always to carry a set of jack pads with me. That’s not well designed.

Reactions: super20g
Thanks super20g for your reply. I’m still wondering why the jack points are that fragile. My older car had big round plates to jack the car up. With this small jack point you’re almost asking for damage. And I have always to carry a set of jack pads with me. That’s not well designed.

The jack points were designed to accommodate a jack or a lift, they weren't designed as tie down hooks to take lateral stress.

The problem is that whoever strapped your and super20g's cars down for transport assumed they could hook into them (and who wouldn't make that logical assumption?)

Tesla should really change the design of these things so that they either aren't confused as tie down hooks, or they beef them up so that they can double as such.

Reactions: super20g