Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone seen this flavor of door handle failure?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got a new Wi-Fi router, was in car in garage to confirm that it had a good Wi-Fi connection. Got out, closed door, locked it with click on key fob -- it's my habit -- and I heard about seven loud relay-like clicks. I'd never heard the likes from the car. I double-clicked the fob to unlock, and saw the mirrors unfold and the headlights come on, but the driver door handle remained flush. I wasn't then paying attention to the rear door handle, but I soon discovered that the driver handle was the only one remaining flush. Further, it is slightly displaced upward about 1/8 in., such that the small light bulb inside the door, is visible, and very slightly recessed beyond flush.

The inside, and only the inside, handle will open the door.

I have the earliest available mobile service appointment for 17 days hence. I hope it will be resolved sooner.

Attachments

• IMG_2202.jpeg
    IMG_2202.jpeg
    376.8 KB · Views: 104
Well, you are not locked in. My 2008 Honda Element locks me in every few weeks. Have to lower the window and reach around.
My in-laws were trapped in a top-down convertible when the doors wouldn't unlock. Rescuers came with jaws of life when they phoned they were doomed.

Joking aside, Just came back into forum for some woes starting both with Tesla marketing, and my 2017 facelift emmc and yellowing.

Your case, likely a coincidence.

Try percussive troubleshooting.

The lowest I've paid was 295 for a replacement by a Ranger. They may just repair the handle for alot less so it shouldn't be too bad. Or if you are the diy type you could do it for even less than what they will charge. I think i paid 48 bucks for tesla to repair one last time.

I had this happen to two of my handles. I think you’ll find that little light will stay on all the time.at least mine did. While they can likely just swap out the paddle with a new one if you have an older handle (not gen 3) I’d recommend just paying the extra $100 for the gen 3. A ranger told me that the old gen 1 and 2’s break after about 1000 opens. The new ones have lasted a lot longer. I think it was $225 for a full gen 3. (I’m under warranty but they tried to charge me...it could have been a little more. Was back in December.

Reactions: PWlakewood
I had this happen to two of my handles. I think you’ll find that little light will stay on all the time.at least mine did. While they can likely just swap out the paddle with a new one if you have an older handle (not gen 3) I’d recommend just paying the extra $100 for the gen 3. A ranger told me that the old gen 1 and 2’s break after about 1000 opens. The new ones have lasted a lot longer. I think it was $225 for a full gen 3. (I’m under warranty but they tried to charge me...it could have been a little more. Was back in December.
Agree. I have 3 gen 3 handles and 1 rebuilt gen 1 so we will see how long they last.