Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

anyone shade their south-facing inverters from the sun?

funkadelic

Oct 24, 2018
Fremont, CA
I have my 2 delta inverters (M8 and M4) mounted on a south facing wall of our house (where the main panel is) and have been thinking about trying to reduce the amount of sun that beats down on them especially during the summer months. I searched but didn't find any discussions about makeshift inverter covers or shades.

Are there any purpose-made inverter covers/shades that folks have looked at or installed?

Found these covers but they are located in Australia: Solar Inverter Covers

Or even using something like a cheap window awning like this? Amazon.com: VINGLI Window Awning Door Canopy, 40" x 40" Window Awning Overhead Door Modern Polycarbonate Cover Outdoor Front Door Patio Canopy UV Rain Snow Sunlight Protection Hollow Sheet/Black: Home Improvement

It's only about 72F right now in the mid afternoon & the inverters are about 97F, but it's more typical that it's in the mid to high 80s and into the 90s here (NorCal - Fremont). Not Arizona hot, but would love to keep the inverters shielded from direct sunlight.

IMG_4351.jpeg
20210706T152848.jpeg

trautmane2

Jul 13, 2019
Leesburg, VA
I'm not aware of any purpose made covers, but am interested in what you learn. My Delta M8 is in direct sunlight for a couple of hours each summer morning. I've been meaning to look more closely at the board temps from the M Professional app and see if there is any noticeable correlation between higher inverter temps and lower production.

brian.c

Apr 7, 2021
Rocklin, ca
Take a look at window awnings. I was looking at lowes website for something like that. I also just took a look at amazon, and they also have some items that appear could work well.

Just noticed you already looked at awnings, that would be my first choice and am also looking for ideas. Before installing my second system I had a metal patio cover in the area, but took it down since it was never permitted properly (did not want issues with new solar install). I have all my pool equipment and another inverter in the area so would like to shade all of it. Those poly covers can be linked together so might be my solution.

Last edited:
Reactions: jboy210

ZBB

Emperor
Feb 27, 2013
Scottsdale
What about using a beach umbrella or sunbrella shade to test? Set it up and take the inverter's temp a few times on a sunny day to see how it compares when in full sun.

If it keeps it cooler, you could then figure out the best way to keep it shaded permanently. An awning might work, but a wooden fence-like decorative shade about 3-4 feet away from the house might do the trick and be very simple to build (although might have to conform with HOA guidelines)...

Something like this for example: https://www.lowes.com/pd/HOFT-Solutions-HOFT-Kit-A6-One-73-in-End-Post-Black-and-Hardware/1001844344

scotsmanswan

Apr 28, 2021
Phoenix, AZ
I hung a small shade sail (ColorTree do custom sizes / colors down to 6ft square on Amazon) from the roofline down to ground (mounted using spiral ground anchors) to provide some shading for my Powerwall and inverter.

trautmane2

Jul 13, 2019
Leesburg, VA
I hung a small shade sail (ColorTree do custom sizes / colors down to 6ft square on Amazon) from the roofline down to ground (mounted using spiral ground anchors) to provide some shading for my Powerwall and inverter.
If you are willing/able to post a picture of your shade setup, I'd like to see how it looks.

trautmane2

Jul 13, 2019
Leesburg, VA
Any chance you recorded before and after shade inverter temps? I'm curious how much the shade helps.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC