Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone shift into "Park" when going uphill at a stoplight?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hill hold would be a fantastic feature! However, as a point of clarification. I believe most ICE vehicles do not apply brakes per se, they set a parking pin the transmission. I could see, and have, switched into neutral at a light to release some of the stress on the engine. I would think the Tesla would be happy with just applying the break. The break compressor can't use that much juice.

Manual ICE cars typically "hold" the regular hydraulic brakes on as long as the clutch is depressed and then release both as you let the clutch out.

- - - Updated - - -

Hill hold could be done with the drive train instead of the E-brake. A little forward power to balance gravity.

True, but it would be a bit of a "balancing act" for the car to manage. I think they'll probably just do something with the service brakes similar to how manual ICE cars do it.

True, but it would be a bit of a "balancing act" for the car to manage. I think they'll probably just do something with the service brakes similar to how manual ICE cars do it.

The engineering know-how for doing this has existed for decades. It's called a servo control system. The most dramatic example is the Segway motor scooter - inverted pendulum. This is a far easier task to accomplish, and it can all be done in firmware given how the Tesla technology is built. I'm sure the car already includes many servo loops of different kinds, e.g. motor speed control, cruise control, HVAC temperature control, etc.

The engineering know-how for doing this has existed for decades. It's called a servo control system. The most dramatic example is the Segway motor scooter - inverted pendulum. This is a far easier task to accomplish, and it can all be done in firmware given how the Tesla technology is built. I'm sure the car already includes many servo loops of different kinds, e.g. motor speed control, cruise control, HVAC temperature control, etc.

Yeah, the Segway is a good example. I would still venture they'll do something with the hydraulic brakes if for no other reason than it might be more energy efficient compared to applying power to the motor.

..but adds extra wear and tear on the power door handles. Sometimes I wish I could just park and have the handles stay put. They don't need to extend when, for example, I'm just getting OUT of the car.
But it is nice to have them present when you pick up passengers, and when you have something in the rear seat that you want to get out of the car when you park (coat, dog etc.)