Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone solved the ghosting double vision issue?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have yet to find a post of someone that had the ghosting issue and then declare its gone with a new windshield ? I have this and have to schedule a appointment with the SC. Mine is undriveable at night. Especially because headlights coming from the opposite side seem amplified and are super hard on the eyes. Any progress made from Tesla's side ? this is something that has me worried. Any input appreciated. Thanks

Ghosting stops at the tint level and also stops just above the dash and no, I cant adjust my seat to make it work. I see what the person with the photosync did but that may be a temporary solution , i wanted to know if someone recieved a ghost free windshield replacement. My windshield makes me dizzy. Here is a pic

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    129.7 KB · Views: 1,000
Here is a pic
Wow. Mine is nothing like that unless you are using a big telephoto lens.

My close objects that are directly in the line of sight have little to no ghosting. Farther objects or ones out of the line of sight have some, but don't seem to be as much as yours.

Maybe I need to take a photo with mine and see if the camera sees something I don't. Like those famous ghost pictures.:)

Wow. Mine is nothing like that unless you are using a big telephoto lens.

My close objects that are directly in the line of sight have little to no ghosting. Farther objects or ones out of the line of sight have some, but don't seem to be as much as yours.

Maybe I need to take a photo with mine and see if the camera sees something I don't. Like those famous ghost pictures.:)

When the ghosting threads appeared and i was still driving my Cayenne I checked and i had ghosting or what i thought was ghosting, what happens here on my mx is like seeing double of something which is a big difference. It makes you dizzy. My conclusion is that some windshields are flawed some are "ok". All i need is a perfect windshield to keep loving my car, in the mean time i cant drive at night without some sort of dizziness afterwards.

The windshields come from a manufacturer in Peru. From the posts in this forum, some have the issue and some don't. Until they identify the cause of the problem (e.g. windshield is delaminating, windshield deformed during shipping/storage, etc.) I would not put the effort into getting it fixed. Once Tesla has identified the problem and can guarantee a ghost-free windshield, it's all hit and miss right now. Some have complained that their new window is worse.

• Informative
Reactions: electricity
The windshields come from a manufacturer in Peru. From the posts in this forum, some have the issue and some don't. Until they identify the cause of the problem (e.g. windshield is delaminating, windshield deformed during shipping/storage, etc.) I would not put the effort into getting it fixed. Once Tesla has identified the problem and can guarantee a ghost-free windshield, it's all hit and miss right now. Some have complained that their new window is worse.

Tesla needs to change suppliers then asap and let us know thay are doing so.

Ghosting stops at the tint level and also stops just above the dash and no, I cant adjust my seat to make it work. I see what the person with the photosync did but that may be a temporary solution , i wanted to know if someone recieved a ghost free windshield replacement. My windshield makes me dizzy. Here is a pic
Mine seems to be worse than this picture actually. A little farther away and I see triple reflections. Service center knows about it but AFAIK they have not verified it themselves but I and several passengers on different days confirmed it was not just my eyes or glasses.

One potential workaround for this problem during the day -- polarized sunglasses.

My MX was delivered on Monday and this ghosting problem is very obvious. It's most obvious left and right 25% of the windshield, for headlights or taillights coming from far-away cars ( cars immediately in front / close to me don't exhibit the problem as often).

However, yesterday, I wore polarized sunglasses for the first time. I eventually noticed that I hadn't seen the ghosting all day. Upon lifting the glasses up, yup, double vision is still there. Seems my Maui Jim sunglasses completely remove double-vision.

• Informative
Reactions: Cowby
When the ghosting threads appeared and i was still driving my Cayenne I checked and i had ghosting or what i thought was ghosting, what happens here on my mx is like seeing double of something which is a big difference. It makes you dizzy. My conclusion is that some windshields are flawed some are "ok". All i need is a perfect windshield to keep loving my car, in the mean time i cant drive at night without some sort of dizziness afterwards.
Have you checked your windshield's serial numbers to see if it is part of the batch that others have identified as defective (to them)

One potential workaround for this problem during the day -- polarized sunglasses.

My MX was delivered on Monday and this ghosting problem is very obvious. It's most obvious left and right 25% of the windshield, for headlights or taillights coming from far-away cars ( cars immediately in front / close to me don't exhibit the problem as often).

However, yesterday, I wore polarized sunglasses for the first time. I eventually noticed that I hadn't seen the ghosting all day. Upon lifting the glasses up, yup, double vision is still there. Seems my Maui Jim sunglasses completely remove double-vision.

Yeah I wear my polarized sunglasses during the day but too dark for night.

@electracity I got mine replaced and the new one is much better, it is now what you have. It is not "perfect" but it is not unsafe. But I had a "defective" windshield on my model X to begin with.
The original windshield had double/triple vision both at night and daytime. Both daytime and nighttime glare and light distortions were so bad that I painfully decided to stop driving my car as my main transportation vehicle a few days after I picked it up in March. It took a month to get the windshield to replace, during which, I only drove it for short distances (10 minutes intervals) before night time as my polarized sunglasses helped during the day to reduce some of the glare. I was afraid that I would miss pedestrians or bicyclists at nighttime due to light distortions on the windshield that would completely distort my view of the road! You know the report I made about clarity at one foot above the dash vs lack of it. As for my new windshield, I do not notice the double vision if I don't focus on it, which mostly is visible at night and if I point it out, my passengers would see it too.
If you beelive you have a "defective" windshield, then one option to consider is to leave it at the SC and ask the manager to drive it at day and night (for 15-20 minutes) to verify it. I am certain that if they find a problem, they would likely replace it under "customer preference" guise.

@electracity I got mine replaced and the new one is much better, it is now what you have. It is not "perfect" but it is not unsafe. But I had a "defective" windshield on my model X to begin with.
The original windshield had double/triple vision both at night and daytime. Both daytime and nighttime glare and light distortions were so bad that I painfully decided to stop driving my car as my main transportation vehicle a few days after I picked it up in March. It took a month to get the windshield to replace, during which, I only drove it for short distances (10 minutes intervals) before night time as my polarized sunglasses helped during the day to reduce some of the glare. I was afraid that I would miss pedestrians or bicyclists at nighttime due to light distortions on the windshield that would completely distort my view of the road! You know the report I made about clarity at one foot above the dash vs lack of it. As for my new windshield, I do not notice the double vision if I don't focus on it, which mostly is visible at night and if I point it out, my passengers would see it too.
If you beelive you have a "defective" windshield, then one option to consider is to leave it at the SC and ask the manager to drive it at day and night (for 15-20 minutes) to verify it. I am certain that if they find a problem, they would likely replace it under "customer preference" guise.

Thanks for the reply , very happy to hear they do have better glasses than others. That is something at least my SC was not able to answer.

Just to be clear, it was not better than the others, on the contrary, it was just like the others. It was better than the defective one I originally got on the car. It doesn't cause eye fatigue (blurry effect) and one can get used to it. I am 100% happier and have zero complaint. It has ghosting but it is not a safety issue anymore. Huge difference.

After I got a new widnsheild, another model X owner and I drove at night in each other's cars, looking out for the ghosting effect on the windshield taking the same route. No difference at all between the the two. What I have figured out by now is that Tesla Cars built earlier in 2015, had no ghosting effect. windshield. Starting Q4-2015, reports of windshield with ghosting effect started. All the new Model S loaners I have been given so far have ghosting effect as well.

I have yet to find a post of someone that had the ghosting issue and then declare its gone with a new windshield ? I have this and have to schedule a appointment with the SC. Mine is undriveable at night. Especially because headlights coming from the opposite side seem amplified and are super hard on the eyes. Any progress made from Tesla's side ? this is something that has me worried. Any input appreciated. Thanks