Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone still having vampire drain?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve been having a hunch my car still has vampire drain so I actually paid attention to the charge yesterday night.

Parked car with 190 miles and 12 hours later it’s down to 183. I’m assuming this is not within normal specs? I’m on 44.1 and it dropped to high 40s at night.

Would appreciate your opinions.

I get it, but it's not that bad daily. I think. I left for about 5 days and lost about 20-25 miles. Not plugged in or anything. It got into the 40s at night too. I remember being a bit shocked at how little was left, but not enough to note the difference in detail.

Everyone has "vampire drain."
A degradation over 12 hours from 190 miles to 183 miles is remarkable.

There are electrical components in every modern automobile that are functioning, sensing, and monitoring.
Doesn't your car make a sound when you approach? An electrical component had to be operational to recognize your approach.

I’ve been having a hunch my car still has vampire drain so I actually paid attention to the charge yesterday night.

Parked car with 190 miles and 12 hours later it’s down to 183. I’m assuming this is not within normal specs? I’m on 44.1 and it dropped to high 40s at night.

Yes, everyone has some vampire drain, there is no way around it. losing 2% over 12 hours does sound a little high though. Although I'd gather more data over a longer period of time before jumping to any conclusions, there are a lot of things that can affect the amount of drain. Monitor for a week or two then decide.

I have noticed that my car has some vampire drain. There are a couple things that can effect this that I have noticed.
1. If you are downloading an update, your car will use more power, as its more awake. Only easy way to know this is by monitoring your network.
2. If your car is close enough to your phone to remain connected, it will keep your car in an awake state. You can turn off bluetooth to reduce this issue.
3. If you check your app often. Each time you do, your car will wake.
4. Cabin overheat protection is enabled, and is actively cooling the interior. You can set it to use fan only if you choose so at least it wont use the AC to cool
5. Some 3rd party apps tend to ping the car more often, also preventing deep sleep states
6. If you have checked data sharing, and your car is reporting to the mothership.

• Informative
Reactions: Stirfelt
Still on 28.1. Been keeping track on my battery usage for the last four months. During the weekday when I'm parked at work in a covered garage (7th floor of 9; no direct sun), with no climate control activated and my phone definitely out of bluetooth range, I'm seeing a range of drain from 1 to 2 miles in a span of 9 hours, to 9 miles in the same amount of time. Since checking on the state of charge wakes up the car, I've been trying to keep to a consistent schedule of pinging the car but it has not always worked out that way.

In the Thanksgiving break last week, my car was sitting in my driveway. Temps ranged from highs in the mid-60's to lows in the mid-40's. From Wednesday the 21st at 7PM, until Monday the 26th at 10AM, a total of 111 hours, my range went from 288 miles to 238; less than 1/2 mile per hour. In percentages assuming a full battery and everything else being equal, that's a 16% drain in 4.5 days. I checked on the car twice each day to get the mileage.

As it sounds like you didn't enable the cabin overheat protection and didn't constantly poll your car via the phone app, 4 miles per day or less than 2/10 of a mile per hour, is not excessive at all in my opinion.

My car lost 50 miles in 4.5 days during Thanksgiving while sitting in my driveway. Temps were actually fairly warm for that time of year. Checked the car's range twice a day as I like to keep track of such things. I've seen your 0.2 MPH drain to upwards around 1.5 MPH. I'm still on firmware 28.1 if that makes any difference. My phone should have been out of range (opposite side of the house from the driveway) and overheat protection was off.

did you even research this topic before posting? 2% drain over 12 hours in the winter and you think something is wrong with your car - hence your post??

did you even research this topic before posting? 2% drain over 12 hours in the winter and you think something is wrong with your car - hence your post??
I guess you're saying that yes, it is excessive?

That would be 4% per day. Come back after a week, and you've lost almost 1/3 of the battery capacity? Also, the poster is in socal, so "winter" is a little different there.

I had a similar issue when I left the vehicle for a week. I noticed a drop of at least 2% in the first 12hrs, and I was concerned that if it continued at that rate, it would be empty before I returned. At some point, that rate slowed. I ended up losing ~10% over 6d. Fortunately it wasn't enough to impact my trip home, but it's still not acceptable.

I experienced over the top vampire drain today. I use the TeslaFi sleep function and today I lost 13.35 miles in a 2 hours and 35 minute sleep. To be fair it is around 32-34F but isn’t this still excessive?!

Attachments

• 169CF774-021E-449C-8826-1F37693C279C.jpeg
    169CF774-021E-449C-8826-1F37693C279C.jpeg
    71.1 KB · Views: 68
I have noticed that my car has some vampire drain. There are a couple things that can effect this that I have noticed.
2. If your car is close enough to your phone to remain connected, it will keep your car in an awake state. You can turn off bluetooth to reduce this issue.
I hadn't thought about this. Is it really keeping the car awake?

Has anyone done something besides turning off bluetooth? I use bluetooth on my phone for lots of stuff when I'm home and would prefer to leave it on.

With earlier firmware definitely, seems to be something in .48 that has changed the sleep behavior to go to deeper sleep perhaps. Its likely that as I approach my kitchen I regain BT connection to my car, and as I go toward my bedroom I probably drop it. So this constant connecting and reconnecting probably drains the battery, but I'm not sure I don't worry about it anymore. It will have less phantom drain once the software settles down. It also stays awake more when its downloading an update, or uploading information from its neural net.

You could test by just unpairing, BT doesn't have to go all the way off, though that's not convenient.