Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone still rocking a Pi Zero W smart drive for TeslaCam on Sentry Mode?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm not having much luck with the setup of the Pi.

The installation stalls - here's the log file.

at 15 Jun 22:27:31 BST 2019 : Detecting whether to update wpa_supplicant.conf
Sat 15 Jun 22:27:31 BST 2019 : Wifi variables specified, and no /boot/WIFI_ENABLED. Building wpa_supplicant.conf.
Sat 15 Jun 22:27:31 BST 2019 : Rebooting...
Sat 15 Jun 22:28:17 BST 2019 : Detecting whether to update wpa_supplicant.conf
Sat 15 Jun 22:28:17 BST 2019 : Grabbing main setup file.
Sat 15 Jun 22:28:18 BST 2019 : get_script failed, retrying
Sat 15 Jun 22:28:21 BST 2019 : get_script failed, retrying
Sat 15 Jun 22:28:24 BST 2019 : get_script failed, retrying

Any help appreciated

I am running a Pi-ZeroW, when it powers up it works great, no issues. On multiple occasions though since setting it up, sometimes when i go out to my car and get in, the camera icon is gone. I look at the Pi and there are no LED lights. Even unplugging and plugging in, nothing. If i plug anything into the USB port that the PI was plugged into it does not work, almost as if the port is no longer getting power. I have to reboot the car (holding down both steering wheel buttons) to get power back to the port. Does anyone have any ideas why this might be happening, or how to fix it?

Sat 15 Jun 22:27:31 BST 2019 : Wifi variables specified, and no /boot/WIFI_ENABLED. Building wpa_supplicant.conf.

Any help appreciated
Not an expert by no means. I think I was seeing this myself when the PI was not connected to the internet. Attempt to ping from your computer to see if the PI is on the network. Run a ifconfig to see if there is a lan ip address assigned. If no on both. go back to your config file and ensure your ssid and password were set up correctly.

Any help appreciated
Please post your configuration file, so we can look at what you've put in.

But the log is showing that the Pi hasn't been able to connect to your WiFi network to download the applicable software. So most likely, you aren't entering the SSID and password of your network correctly. Try to keep from using single or double quotation marks anywhere you type in the configuration file. There are certain circumstances where you *must* use single or double quotes, but that opens up a whole can of worms. So to avoid that can, just post your configuration file so we can have a look.

Anyone have any luck setting this up with a QNAP NAS for the shared folder? I created a TeslaCam folder on the NAS, with R/W access to my Tesla user. My .conf file excerpt is as follows:
export ARCHIVE_SYSTEM=cifs
export archiveserver=192.168.29.20
export sharename=TeslaCam
export shareuser=Tesla
export sharepassword=****** (my actual .conf file has the real password here)
export cifs_version="3.0"
I get the error "verify-and-configure-archive: STOP: The archive server 192.168.29.20 is unreachable. Try specifying its IP address instead."
I'm not sure if it makes a difference, but the RPi is getting an IP from a different subnet (192.168.20.xxx), but I've temporarily disabled the firewall to allow all traffic between them. I've tried using the share name and IP address with no difference. Any ideas?

I've given up on trying to make this work. It appears as though my Tesla cycles the USB power when it doesn't detect any device connected, this causes a reboot loop.

The only work around I've found is to connect the Power Only USB port on the Pi, wait for it to finish boot-up, then also connect the Data+Power USB port as well, taking up both USB ports on my car.

This just isn't set and forget and would require me to do this every time I get in my car.

Have sought advice online, but most responses are "yeah, we've seen this", with no help offered.

I've given up on trying to make this work. It appears as though my Tesla cycles the USB power when it doesn't detect any device connected, this causes a reboot loop.

The only work around I've found is to connect the Power Only USB port on the Pi, wait for it to finish boot-up, then also connect the Data+Power USB port as well, taking up both USB ports on my car.

This just isn't set and forget and would require me to do this every time I get in my car.

Have sought advice online, but most responses are "yeah, we've seen this", with no help offered.
Are you using a Pi Zero or another version of the Pi? If you have Sentry Mode enabled, the USB should stay powered and not cause a reboot. If you're using a non-Zero Pi, then it might make sense to connect directly to the DC 12v, but that requires you to go through a HAT or the GPIO pins on the Pi.

Are you using a Pi Zero or another version of the Pi? If you have Sentry Mode enabled, the USB should stay powered and not cause a reboot. If you're using a non-Zero Pi, then it might make sense to connect directly to the DC 12v, but that requires you to go through a HAT or the GPIO pins on the Pi.
I'm using a Pi Zero, but I have sentry mode disabled at my house, which means when home, the USB port loses power and I have to manually do the reboot process every morning, not worth it.

Anyone have any luck setting this up with a QNAP NAS for the shared folder?

I have mine working on my test bed (haven't tried it in the car yet). I can see music moving from the NAS to the PiZero. Here are the settings I used...

export ARCHIVE_SYSTEM=cifs
export archiveserver=10.6.60.10
export sharename=Tesla/Cam
export shareuser=tesla
export sharepassword=****
export cifs_version="2.0"
export camsize=75%
export musicsharename=Tesla/Music

The main difference is the cifs version. I also have my NAS on a different VLAN (.60) than my Tesla (.10) and don't have problems with the two talking to each other (although I did have to open up ports when I configured my pfsense router -- I think 137-139 for cifs).

I'm going to put it in the corner for a week and then come back to it.
It will prevent the damn thing going out the window!
I've just about reached the same conclusion. I've scaled back my project to see if I can even get the car to recognize the RPi 0 W as a USB drive. I was able to get the Pi to be recognized as a mass storage device when I plug it into a Windows, Linux or Chromebook computer. No problem accessing, creating, deleting or modifying files on the drive.

However, when I plug the RPi into my Model 3, it detects the presence of a USB drive, but is unable to use it as such. For TeslaCam, I get a red circle and exclamation point icon displayed at the top of the touchscreen. When I click on it, I get a pop-up that says the "USB drive is unreadable". I also tried deleting the TeslaCam folder and replacing it with a bunch of music files. The car detects the presence of the drive because it gives me the USB option on my infotainment screen. However, when I select USB as my media source, it just cycles endlessly with a "Loading..." message. If I can't even get the car to use the RPi as a virtual USB drive, it's pointless for me to proceed with the rest of the implementation (automatically uploading and deleting files).

Since it appears Tesla will be adding a function to automatically delete the oldest files when a USB drive gets full, this eliminates drive space management as one of the reasons for using an RPi. Now, we just have to see if Tesla ever offers a means for reviewing the files without having to physically move the USB drive to another device.

Rather than throwing it out the window, I'm trying to find another project where I can use my Pi. :)

Other projects that are nice uses of a Pi if you give up on the TeslaCam

- PiAware - feed ADS-B data to FlightAware - receive premium access
-Flightradar24 Raspberry Pi - same, but feed data to Flightradar24
- LiveATC Raspberry Pi - relay real-time radio communications to/from aircraft in the local area
- jgyates/genmon - monitor and control a Generac/Honeywell/Eaton backup generator using a Pi

The first 3 require an inexpensive SDR (software Defined Radio).

Last edited:
I'm using a Pi Zero, but I have sentry mode disabled at my house, which means when home, the USB port loses power and I have to manually do the reboot process every morning, not worth it.

There is a feature in the software where you can enter your Tesla API key and it will send a Wake command to the car to keep it alive until the syncing has completed. After that it stops sending the Wake command and you car is allowed to sleep like it normally would.