Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone still rocking a Pi Zero W smart drive for TeslaCam on Sentry Mode?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had the same issue and did the following to get it recognizable as a USB drive in Windows (no car yet to test).

sudo nano /boot/config.txt
Add the line:
dtoverlay=dwc2

sudo nano /etc/modules
Add the line:
dwc2

And connect the computer to the USB data port on the Pi (not the USB power port), in case that wasn't obvious.

I added a saved.txt file to the Pi USB drive on Windows, and after a reboot of the Pi, it moved the file to my file share.

Have set these now as well (and thanks for the cmdline.txt help), but still getting 'Device Descriptor Request Failed' in device manager, and nothing in Disk Management. Win10 1809

Switched to using this repo since they had already merged updates, but must still be missing something, granted the updates were focused on fixing the structure changes in recent fw/sentry mode rather than issues with getting the folders to work.

/root/bin/archiveloop doesn't get created either.

export REPO=jspv
export BRANCH=master

Another updatefinally got the drive readable using the pre-built image, updated teslausb_setup_variables.conf and jspv's master branch. I did have to re-enter the Wifi information again to get it to re-connect to the network, but otherwise this worked flawless.

Edit: Apparently it's not mounting boot as read only though. Remountfs_rw appears to be re-running on boot.

#####################################################################
# SAMPLE CONFIGURATION FILE FOR TESLAUSB Pi Setup
#
# Example config file for teslausb_setup. Lines with "#" are comments/ignored.
# Remove the "#" before "export" to activate a line. Be sure to rename this file
# to "teslausb_setup_variables.conf" and place it in the "boot" folder of your
# SD card.
#
######################################################################

# Default variables for CIFS (Windows/Mac file sharing) setup
export ARCHIVE_SYSTEM=cifs
export archiveserver=myserver
export sharename=TeslaCam
export shareuser=TeslaCam
export sharepassword=sharepass
export campercent=100

# Wifi setup information
export SSID=myssid
export WIFIPASS=mypass

# If doing a headless (i.e. automatic) setup
export HEADLESS_SETUP=true

# Uncomment if setting up Pushover push notifications
export pushover_enabled=true
export pushover_user_key=myuserkey
export pushover_app_key=myappkey

# Uncomment and change if you want setup scripts to be pulled
# from a different repo than the "main" github.com/cimryan/teslausb
export REPO=jspv

# Uncomment and change if you want a different branch than master
export BRANCH=master

# Uncomment if you're using rsync/ssh for the archive.
# Note: RSYNC_ENABLE=true is going to disable the default archive server.
#
# export RSYNC_ENABLE=true
# export RSYNC_USER=<ftp username>
# export RSYNC_SERVER=<ftp IP/host>
# export RSYNC_PATH=<destination path to save in>

Last edited:
I'm using this from the jspv branch also. The car sees the drive and writes to it but after long periods of sentry mode, the car doesn't see the drive anymore despite the drive still being powered on. I'm also powering the rpi with the 12v but it does not appear to help. There are some threads on github about the issue but I can't seem to resolve it. I went a whole day without issue but on day two it appears to crop up again.

I'm using this from the jspv branch also. The car sees the drive and writes to it but after long periods of sentry mode, the car doesn't see the drive anymore despite the drive still being powered on. I'm also powering the rpi with the 12v but it does not appear to help. There are some threads on github about the issue but I can't seem to resolve it. I went a whole day without issue but on day two it appears to crop up again.

A lot of ppl is reporting this but I am specifically not having this issue. I am using a battery hat on my pi and on 8.3.

But this setup shouldn't be any different from 12v power...

Has anyone just tried using the pi as a usb WiFi mass storage device rather than setting it up to upload files to a server? I’m going to try this and see if it works. I figure I can just tap into the pi through the windows rd client: Microsoft Remote Desktop by Microsoft Corporation
‎Microsoft Remote Desktop

If you installed raspian desktop you could use VNC from your iphone/ios device or laptop.

I have noticed there are times where no drive is detected after working earlier in the drive without issue. Hopefully it's something that can be resolved by the next car fw update.

The car seems to keep the USB ports on long enough after plugging in at home to be able to capture all of the footage. Am wondering if need to go back and modify rc.local to stop it from resetting rw on the drive on bootup.

• Informative
Reactions: C141medic
it's not a rumor, it's a fact. i can 100% confirm that on 5.15 12v is always on, even if sentry mode is turned off. the only question i have is whether or not it will turn itself off if you don't have anything drawing power from it - but if you leave something plugged in and turned on, it absolutely will not time itself out.

I have 5.15 but the 12V power outlet in the center console definitely gets switched off, even when my radar detector is plugged in, turned on and drawing power.

i have no idea then, because mine definitely does not...i have left the xm unit turned on and gone back to check it over an hour later and it was still on.

Like most things, there may be a threshold at which the behavior is different. In this case, it could be a threshold of current draw. I imagine an XM receiver (I assume that is what you are talking about) probably draws a lot less than a radar detector. But I haven't experimented with it, as long as it works fine, that's all I care about.

Using Tasker for Android, I've schedule my car to turn on sentry mode while at home in the middle of the night for 30 minutes and then turn back off. This will power on the pi during that time and give it time to sync before powering off again.

Reactions: iMoe
Really? I'll have to put in a small USB battery pack or something. It takes quite a while to upload the videos over 2.4GHz WiFi. It was nice that it would stay on for quite a while.

Now I have no idea, as I just came back out to th car after a few hours and my XM is still on. It's frustrating that there seems no rhyme or reason as to when it stays on vs when it doesn't

Now I have no idea, as I just came back out to th car after a few hours and my XM is still on. It's frustrating that there seems no rhyme or reason as to when it stays on vs when it doesn't

On 8.5, I have no idea what it is doing now. Even when driving, the Pi isn't always powered. Sometimes when I park it will be powered for a while. Other times it goes off when the car locks. I wish I knew what the intended operation was.

Anyone get this working on 19.8.5? Just got the pi zero w yesterday. Windows detects my partition both cam and music, but doesn't show up in the car. Tried both USB ports and USB hub in between. Might be a setup issue on my end, or perhaps compatibility issue with the latest update.

Anyone get this working on 19.8.5? Just got the pi zero w yesterday. Windows detects my partition both cam and music, but doesn't show up in the car. Tried both USB ports and USB hub in between. Might be a setup issue on my end, or perhaps compatibility issue with the latest update.

Which branch are you using? The main branch by cimryan hasn't been updated since sentry mode came out. Use the ones by therealmarcone or jspv instead.

Reactions: phtp