TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Anyone still rocking a Pi Zero W smart drive for TeslaCam on Sentry Mode?

Discussion in 'Model 3: User Interface' started by chilman408, Feb 22, 2019.

1. Tz00

Tz00 3 LR AWD

Also, for the Pi to connect to a Windows 7 file share, I had to have the following set before running the setup-teslausb command.

export cifs_version=2.1

2. iceraven

iceraven Member

Have set these now as well (and thanks for the cmdline.txt help), but still getting 'Device Descriptor Request Failed' in device manager, and nothing in Disk Management. Win10 1809

Switched to using this repo since they had already merged updates, but must still be missing something, granted the updates were focused on fixing the structure changes in recent fw/sentry mode rather than issues with getting the folders to work.

/root/bin/archiveloop doesn't get created either.

export REPO=jspv
    export BRANCH=master

3. iceraven

iceraven Member

#23 iceraven, Mar 29, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2019
    Another updatefinally got the drive readable using the pre-built image, updated teslausb_setup_variables.conf and jspv's master branch. I did have to re-enter the Wifi information again to get it to re-connect to the network, but otherwise this worked flawless.

Edit: Apparently it's not mounting boot as read only though. Remountfs_rw appears to be re-running on boot.

4. japhule

japhule Member

I'm using this from the jspv branch also. The car sees the drive and writes to it but after long periods of sentry mode, the car doesn't see the drive anymore despite the drive still being powered on. I'm also powering the rpi with the 12v but it does not appear to help. There are some threads on github about the issue but I can't seem to resolve it. I went a whole day without issue but on day two it appears to crop up again.

5. chilman408

chilman408 Member

A lot of ppl is reporting this but I am specifically not having this issue. I am using a battery hat on my pi and on 8.3.

But this setup shouldn't be any different from 12v power...

6. C141medic

C141medic Active Member

7. iceraven

iceraven Member

If you installed raspian desktop you could use VNC from your iphone/ios device or laptop.

I have noticed there are times where no drive is detected after working earlier in the drive without issue. Hopefully it's something that can be resolved by the next car fw update.

The car seems to keep the USB ports on long enough after plugging in at home to be able to capture all of the footage. Am wondering if need to go back and modify rc.local to stop it from resetting rw on the drive on bootup.

• Informative x 1
  8. japhule

japhule Member

It does seem more like an issue with the car instead of the pi. I'll just hope the next software update gets it working again for me.

9. StealthP3D

StealthP3D Well-Known Member

I have 5.15 but the 12V power outlet in the center console definitely gets switched off, even when my radar detector is plugged in, turned on and drawing power.

10. crackers8199

crackers8199 Active Member

i have no idea then, because mine definitely does not...i have left the xm unit turned on and gone back to check it over an hour later and it was still on.

11. StealthP3D

StealthP3D Well-Known Member

Like most things, there may be a threshold at which the behavior is different. In this case, it could be a threshold of current draw. I imagine an XM receiver (I assume that is what you are talking about) probably draws a lot less than a radar detector. But I haven't experimented with it, as long as it works fine, that's all I care about.

12. crackers8199

8.5 seems to have changed the behavior again...now my XM unit does power off after a few minutes.

13. Tz00

Tz00 3 LR AWD

Really? I'll have to put in a small USB battery pack or something. It takes quite a while to upload the videos over 2.4GHz WiFi. It was nice that it would stay on for quite a while.

14. japhule

japhule Member

Using Tasker for Android, I've schedule my car to turn on sentry mode while at home in the middle of the night for 30 minutes and then turn back off. This will power on the pi during that time and give it time to sync before powering off again.

• Like x 1
  15. crackers8199

Now I have no idea, as I just came back out to th car after a few hours and my XM is still on. It's frustrating that there seems no rhyme or reason as to when it stays on vs when it doesn't

16. Tz00

Tz00 3 LR AWD

On 8.5, I have no idea what it is doing now. Even when driving, the Pi isn't always powered. Sometimes when I park it will be powered for a while. Other times it goes off when the car locks. I wish I knew what the intended operation was.

17. phtp

phtp Member

Anyone get this working on 19.8.5? Just got the pi zero w yesterday. Windows detects my partition both cam and music, but doesn't show up in the car. Tried both USB ports and USB hub in between. Might be a setup issue on my end, or perhaps compatibility issue with the latest update.

18. japhule

japhule Member

Which branch are you using? The main branch by cimryan hasn't been updated since sentry mode came out. Use the ones by therealmarcone or jspv instead.

• Like x 1
  19. phtp

phtp Member

Thank You. I'll rebuild it later today. I used the "one-step setup" image by rtgoodwin, but it was built off from cimryan so it's outdated like you mentioned.

This fork right? marcone/teslausb

20. japhule

japhule Member

Yep. Looks like I could use another update on my end also.

• Love x 1