Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone still rocking a Pi Zero W smart drive for TeslaCam on Sentry Mode?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I've just installed Marcone-TeslaUSB20190615 (as I couldn't get the newest build to work on my Pi Zero W) and it's great, the backup is syncing well to my NAS drive and the DashCam footage seems to be working perfectly. The issue I'm having, and having searched the forums, Reddit and the Git repo, is that the SentryMode footage is all only about 1second long (150KB). Has anyone else seen this? Any suggestions?

I'm having the same problem with either 1 second short clips or nothing at all in a sentry directory. I've tried on both a Pi0w and a Pi4 with the same issue. Regular saved clip footage works perfectly, just Sentry footage is messed up.

My setup: Tesla Model X (2019, raven on 2019.40.2.1). Pi is running on SanDisk Endurance 256GB allocated as 100GB Music, 32GB Cam. rpi-update, selfupdate and resetup done. I've also disabled snapshots. Tested on both the pi0w and pi4 (2gb).

I'm having the same problem with either 1 second short clips or nothing at all in a sentry directory. I've tried on both a Pi0w and a Pi4 with the same issue. Regular saved clip footage works perfectly, just Sentry footage is messed up.

My setup: Tesla Model X (2019, raven on 2019.40.2.1). Pi is running on SanDisk Endurance 256GB allocated as 100GB Music, 32GB Cam. rpi-update, selfupdate and resetup done. I've also disabled snapshots. Tested on both the pi0w and pi4 (2gb).

I noticed that people who mentions about data issue are ones who use endurance cards and (also separately) use the music storage function. Try using a regular card and disabling music.

Any difference in terms of car battery power usage apart from write speed between 4B vs. pi zero w???

Appreciate if someone can send me the link to 4B that they bought and setup with Tesla USB.
The Raspberry Pi will operate with the available power draw from the USB ports, but will just operate slower than it would with the standard 15W power supply that you can also buy for it.

To buy it, use their web page. There are multiple resellers to choose from based on configuration and availability.

The software is on Github at marcone/teslausb. Recommended is to use the prebuilt images linked on that page.

If this needs to be a new thread please let me know:

Anyone been able to setup teslausb on a Pi Zero W to be accessed purely via SMB? ie. its not archiving footage to server, I just want to be able to view the footage on the Pi via SMB. There's no way I can park my car close enough to my home network to use the archive feature =(

I've managed to get it semi-working, I commented out all setup stuff for CIFS archiving, enabled Samba, enabled the Pi as an AP. I plug the Pi into the car, it shows up, after my first drive recent clips are recorded, I park the car and can connect my phone to the Pi's AP, I can mount the SMB share and view the recent footage.

Problems seem to start occurring once it goes into Sentry mode. As new Sentry events start to accumulate I can still connect to the Pi's AP and view the recent driving footage. However, the Sentry mode clips are not populating I can see the new folders being creating for the Sentry events but opening them shows no clips. After several hours even the previously working recent clips stop showing up. When this happens I'm still able to connect to the AP, mount the SMB share and see the folder structure and folders with new timestamps, its just showing all the folders as empty =(. At this point nothing I do will get the clips to show up over SMB again, doesn't matter if I use my Mac or phone to mount the share.

If I plug the Pi into my computer the CAM drive shows up and all the clips are intact and I can view both the recent and sentry events without issue. I can even plug it into my phone and it'll show up as an external drive that I can view. I have tried the buster image (teslausb-buster-20190922) and also the stable one (teslausb-20190615) both had the same issue (the stable one actually starting showing the 'slow usb' message and footage was getting corrupt, the buster one didn't).

I'm using a 64GB card and here is my setup config, if anyone's got any tips or pointers on how to get this working reliably that would be awesome!:

export camsize=32G
export musicsize=0%
# Wifi setup information. Note that Raspberry Pi Zero W only supports 2.4 GHz wifi
export SSID='WiFiNetwork'
export WIFIPASS='WiFiPassword'
# If doing a headless (i.e. automatic) setup
export HEADLESS_SETUP=true
# uncomment to enable a samba server that exports the recordings
export SAMBA_ENABLED=true
# uncomment to enable guest access to the samba server
export SAMBA_GUEST=true
# SSID, so you can access it while on the road.
export AP_SSID='teslausb'
# Change this! The setup script will not accept the default 'password'
# Also note that the wifi password must be at least 8 characters.
export AP_PASS='mypassword'
# IP address is optional. The AP will give its clients IP addresses in the
# x.x.x.100-150 range so make sure you don't put the AP's IP address in
# that range.
#export AP_IP='192.168.66.1'
# uncomment if you want to set the time zone to something other than the default 'BST'
# Can be an actual timezone, or "auto" to attempt automatic timezone detection
export timezone="auto"

• Informative
Reactions: C141medic
@dasn Just curious, are you on iOS or Android to view your clips in the car? If on Android, what app(s) were you using the access the saved clips and view them?

I'm archiving my clips to my home NAS, but there are times where I'd like to view them while on the road and I've been meaning to re-run the setup and enable the SMB/AP functionality.

Thanks!

Not sure what you mean? Lots of us are using this with every update (me personally since June). Just follow the "one-step" instructions on github. To the car, the pi just looks like any other USB drive, so the software on the car doesn't really matter.

It seemed like a lot of people were having issues with the Raspberry Pi, especially when using the SD card for music. Just wanted to make sure the Pi setup still works.

It seemed like a lot of people were having issues with the Raspberry Pi, especially when using the SD card for music. Just wanted to make sure the Pi setup still works.

Yes, it works. I use a RPi zero W, with a Samsung EVO Select 32 GB card. That works now, and has since June. I only use the camera recording, no music. There was a period of time where the car would complain about slow USB drives, but that was happening with regular usb sticks for some as well as folks using a Pi.

I don't know why, but some folks think using a raspberry pi 4 is "better" but like I said, I use the Zero W, the "buster" image, (stretch before that) and it works fine.

@dasn Just curious, are you on iOS or Android to view your clips in the car? If on Android, what app(s) were you using the access the saved clips and view them?

I'm archiving my clips to my home NAS, but there are times where I'd like to view them while on the road and I've been meaning to re-run the setup and enable the SMB/AP functionality.

Thanks!

I'm using Android and I've used two different file browser apps to access the SMB share:
1) Total Commander (needs a LAN plug-in)
2) File Manager Explorer (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=filemanager.fileexplorer.manager)

It's not as good as using a dedicated Tesla Cam viewing app but I couldn't find any that supports SMB shares and Android can't mount the share natively. I found an old APK of Google's SMB mounting app but that doesn't quite work either: Android Samba Client APKs - APKMirror

• Informative
Reactions: gmtom1
I managed to set it up to only act as a SMB share. Incase anyone cares this is my config. It will tell teslausb to stop archiving and only do SMB sharing, I still get some corrupted videos here and there but I'm able to consistently view the videos wirelessly on my phone:

#####################################################################
#
# SMB Only Setup
#
#####################################################################

export ARCHIVE_SYSTEM=none

export camsize=32G
export musicsize=0

# Wifi setup information. Note that Raspberry Pi Zero W only supports 2.4 GHz wifi
export SSID='WiFiNetwork'
export WIFIPASS='WiFiPassword'

# If doing a headless (i.e. automatic) setup
export HEADLESS_SETUP=true

# uncomment to enable a samba server that exports the recordings
export SAMBA_ENABLED=true
# uncomment to enable guest access keeto the samba server
export SAMBA_GUEST=true

# uncomment to enable teslausb to act as a wifi access point with the given
# SSID, so you can access it while on the road.
export AP_SSID='teslausb'
# Change this! The setup script will not accept the default 'password'
# Also note that the wifi password must be at least 8 characters.
export AP_PASS='password'
# IP address is optional. The AP will give its clients IP addresses in the
# x.x.x.100-150 range so make sure you don't put the AP's IP address in
# that range.
#export AP_IP='192.168.66.1'

# uncomment if you want to set the time zone to something other than the default 'BST'
# Can be an actual timezone, or "auto" to attempt automatic timezone detection
export timezone="auto"

• Informative
Hi - In my case I get this in my log file "STOP: no working combination of vers and sec mount options worked.". I am not even trying to reimage with a different value, as it seems code is checking for all combinations of CSIF version. Any idea what this can be due to.?
I am able to ping my ip adress successfully through SSH command after connecting the Pi in the car. The dashcam icon also comes up and records but not sure why it does not upload to the share.
If it does not upload, is there a way to remotely copy the files from the pi and save it on my computer manually?

I do indeed; I run it automagically via cron on the files uploaded by the Pi, and those post-processed videos get fed into Plex:

upload_2020-1-12_23-0-44.png

• Informative
Does anyone have any experience with having the Pi migrate the TeslaCam files to a share/NAS without providing Tesla account credentials? I see the option (in the TeslaUSB conf) to provide Tesla account credentials to keep the car awake but personally, I wouldn't feel comfortable providing this.

I bought everything needed to lay down TeslaUSB (marcone branch) but now I'm wondering if I really want to. Part of me wants to just throw together my own cron job or something to migrate data but the same sleeping issue would exist if it was indeed an issue.