Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone still rocking a Pi Zero W smart drive for TeslaCam on Sentry Mode?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You just described my experience. I tried the manual install twice and it failed, one step worked fine after 2 tries... First attempt was the same as yours.

Same here! I had some issues with my WiFi password; it was easier to just manually create the wpa_supplicant.conf file and not bother setting the SSID/password in the teslacam conf file. I fixed that and it sailed right thru.

Loving this so far! I’m saving all the teslacam files to my Synology NAS. Now, to build an HTML5 teslacam viewer in a docker container to run on said Synology ....

• Helpful
Reactions: C141medic
You just described my experience. I tried the manual install twice and it failed, one step worked fine after 2 tries... First attempt was the same as yours.
I tried one step setup. My comp can recognize both partitions(cam,music) as separate drives. My model S do not recognize any. when the USB is plugged in, it has no problems.
Does the SD card makes a difference as I am using 128G Sandisk ultra.

I tried one step setup. My comp can recognize both partitions(cam,music) as separate drives. My model S do not recognize any. when the USB is plugged in, it has no problems.
Does the SD card makes a difference as I am using 128G Sandisk ultra.
Just checking ... you are using the same usb port on the pi when you connect to car as you did when you connect to your computer?

Just checking ... you are using the same usb port on the pi when you connect to car as you did when you connect to your computer?
Yes, it is plugged in the correct port. I never unplug the cable from pi. Use the same cable as is to plug in the comp.
My garage has a week wifi signal, I was planning to put a repeater in the garage.
Does Pi needs to connect to the network before getting recognized by the car?

Formatted on the 3rd or fourth attempt, only after the car failed to recognize.
Have you tried using a second cable to connect the other USB port on the Pi to power it (so both are connected)? I've had some marginal Pis which would work on USB power supply but were flaky when connected to a computer's USB port (depending on which computer).

Alternatively, try underclocking it (assuming the one step setup still has a config.txt on a boot partition) by editing the config.txt to set arm_freq to a lower value (default is 1000, set it to something like 900 or 700). I've had that solve my unstable Pi Zero issue before. Lowering the CPU speed lowers the power needed (vs giving it enough power at the default speed).

I just got the new Raspberry PI 4B hardware set up as the TeslaCam with a 256GB microSD card. I connected it to the car via a single USB-C to USB-A cable. I used the same TeslaUSB github scripts as before. The Pi 4B is the only other Pi board that supports USB OTG, but the 4B also supports 5GHz WiFi, which the Zero W does not.

When using the 5GHz on the 4B, I get around 60-68Mb/s. With the Zero W, I was getting 19-23'sMb/s.

I just got the new Raspberry PI 4B hardware set up as the TeslaCam with a 256GB microSD card. I connected it to the car via a single USB-C to USB-A cable. I used the same TeslaUSB github scripts as before. The Pi 4B is the only other Pi board that supports USB OTG, but the 4B also supports 5GHz WiFi, which the Zero W does not.

When using the 5GHz on the 4B, I get around 60-68Mb/s. With the Zero W, I was getting 19-23'sMb/s.
Ah, nice, didn't realize the 4B supported OTG. I'll have to get one to play with as I've been on again, off again working on my own (yet another) Tesla USB thing.

I wonder if hot it'll get if shoved into that new Jeda USB hub thing ... it has a hidden area with a USB port that can fit a regular thumbdrive or even a 2.5" SSD/HDD with short USB cord. Similar concerns with a Pi Zero or Orange Zero... but the Pi 4B is surely hottest of them.

Over the weekend I endeavored into this project. After multiple image writes using rufus (at least 10), I have it running. My micro SD card is 128GB and I divided my dash cam and music partitions in half. Once I was able test videos were copying when leaving the car and connecting to home WiFi, I moved onto the music.

I had already tested music sync with a couple of albums being copied over as an initial test. So then I erased that music and proceeded to connect through USB so I can copy files faster. Or so I thought. I plugged into a laptop and was presented with the CAM partition and the Music partition. So I then started copy my 30GB of music over to the appropriate partition. This took a good 2.5+ hrs. I was averaging around 3MB/sec on copy. Since I was short on cables, I just used the cable that was for my smart watch. So I didn't get to check to see if that was the issue. Do other people find copying music agonizingly slow?

Initial plugin to car presented with sentry mode icon and recording indicator. However music didn't show up at the time and it appeared that shortly after sentry mode wasn't available. After unplugging from USB hub and plugging back in, both items were working as it should. Once I copied all my music and plugged the Pi Zero W back, nothing showed up for about 7 minutes so then I pulled it out and plugged back in and everything appears to be working at this point.

I can't imagine having to reimage just so I can copy music over again as I'd rather a separate USB just for music at this stage.