Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone still rocking a Pi Zero W smart drive for TeslaCam on Sentry Mode?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a Pi 4 on the marcone 0922 release and was getting the “slow write” message. I reimaged it and no issue since.

It is kind of annoying that the image is configured in a way that I can’t seem to install third party packages like Plex. I remounted the root (/) as rw and no success.

Otherwise, all seems working fine.

I have a Pi 4 on the marcone 0922 release and was getting the “slow write” message. I reimaged it and no issue since.

It is kind of annoying that the image is configured in a way that I can’t seem to install third party packages like Plex. I remounted the root (/) as rw and no success.

Otherwise, all seems working fine.

How do you mean? I did not locally install Plex, but I have installed other packages and worked on a couple of script updates. As mentioned, you do need to remount read/write, but the image includes scripts for that. So go RW, and then `apt install somepackage` or `apt install /path/to/somepackage.deb`, and you're golden.

I've got everything working apart from saving the files to my Synology NAS instead of a local PC.
Has anyone got a step by step guide how to do this?

Should be mostly the same steps except when you edit teslausb_setup_variables.conf file you put in your Synology NAS details under "# Default variables for CIFS (Windows/Mac file sharing) setup"

If you're comfortable ssh'ing into the Pi you can run: /root/bin/remountfs_rw then just change the settings in teslausb_setup_variables.conf without having to go through the whole process again. Otherwise it may be easiest to start at the beginning and use your Synology NAS details from the start.

Should be mostly the same steps except when you edit teslausb_setup_variables.conf file you put in your Synology NAS details under "# Default variables for CIFS (Windows/Mac file sharing) setup"

If you're comfortable ssh'ing into the Pi you can run: /root/bin/remountfs_rw then just change the settings in teslausb_setup_variables.conf without having to go through the whole process again. Otherwise it may be easiest to start at the beginning and use your Synology NAS details from the start.

This is what I'm having problems with, but I've tried a lot of variations on the sharename, shareuser etc. and the Pi just can't mount to the NAS. How to set up the directories on the NAS and then get the syntax correct in the Pi is where I'm having the trouble.

When I got home last night I decided to check some things in the browser while on my home wifi.

I found that while the browser did not appear to go through the Tesla VPN (googling "what's my IP" gave me my actual home IP), I couldn't access any IPs on my LAN via Wifi. It wouldn't time out or even act like it was loading, it just wouldn't do anything when trying to enter in various local IPs. So even if we solved the problem of it refusing to connect to Wifi that doesn't have an internet connection, I think you're going to have a hard time accessing Plex in the web browser from a Pi in your car ...

• Informative
Reactions: Phlier
Synology systems require an older version of CIFS. See my post earlier in this thread that gives that value.....
Thanks, I've followed your post and tried a few more things but no success still.

I'm using a Synology DS716+II. It hasn't got CIFS as such, but rather SMB which I believe should support CIFS as well. I've added the line export cifs_version="2.0" to the pi config and also tried 3.0 but with the same result.

The log gives:
Wed 23 Oct 12:16:47 BST 2019 : verify-and-configure-archive: Verifying that the archive server 192.168.1.11 is reachable...
Wed 23 Oct 12:16:47 BST 2019 : verify-and-configure-archive: The archive server is reachable.
Wed 23 Oct 12:16:47 BST 2019 : verify-and-configure-archive: Verifying that the archive share is mountable...
Wed 23 Oct 12:16:47 BST 2019 : verify-and-configure-archive: Trying mount command-line:
Wed 23 Oct 12:16:47 BST 2019 : verify-and-configure-archive: mount -t cifs '//192.168.1.11/volume1/TeslaCam' '/tmp/archivetestmount' -o 'credentials=/tmp/teslaCamArchiveCredentials,iocharset=utf8,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777,vers=3.0,'
Wed 23 Oct 12:16:48 BST 2019 : verify-and-configure-archive: Trying mount command-line:
Wed 23 Oct 12:16:48 BST 2019 : verify-and-configure-archive: mount -t cifs '//192.168.1.11/volume1/TeslaCam' '/tmp/archivetestmount' -o 'credentials=/tmp/teslaCamArchiveCredentials,iocharset=utf8,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777,vers=3.0,sec=ntlmssp'
Wed 23 Oct 12:16:48 BST 2019 : verify-and-configure-archive: Trying mount command-line:
Wed 23 Oct 12:16:48 BST 2019 : verify-and-configure-archive: mount -t cifs '//192.168.1.11/volume1/TeslaCam' '/tmp/archivetestmount' -o 'credentials=/tmp/teslaCamArchiveCredentials,iocharset=utf8,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777,vers=3.0,sec=ntlmv2'
Wed 23 Oct 12:16:48 BST 2019 : verify-and-configure-archive: mount -t cifs '//192.168.1.11/volume1/TeslaCam' '/tmp/archivetestmount' -o 'credentials=/tmp/teslaCamArchiveCredentials,iocharset=utf8,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777,vers=3.0,sec=ntlm'
Wed 23 Oct 12:16:48 BST 2019 : verify-and-configure-archive: STOP: no working combination of vers and sec mount options worked

So I'm stuck here. I've tried it wthout '/volume' in the sharename as well.

It all works fine with a local PC and shared folder in that, but I just can't get it working with the NAS.

Don't know where to go from here. Any pointers?

Last edited:
Hoping I'm not de-railing the thread away from @Electric Dream 's question by asking this, but I'm wondering if anyone has successfully used the Pi's WiFi AP to access the video files yet?

I've tried everything I can think of in the IOS world to no avail. Hoping my son will let me borrow his Galaxy S9 sometime soon to see if I have better luck with an Android device, but I'm not optimistic.

It all works fine with a local PC and shared folder in that, but I just can't get it working with the NAS.
If it's working fine with a local PC (I'm going to presume Windows, because why not?), you should be able to pull up the share at the same UNC path that Linux is trying to pull up, albeit with the slashes going in the other direction.

If you press Windows+R, and in the dialog, type '//192.168.1.11/', that should open an Explorer window with the server you're trying to connect to. In there, you will see one folder for each share on the server. For example, on my setup, when I go to '//192.168.42.2/', I see (in relevant part) the 'tesla' and 'teslatunes' shares which I created for the Pi to use. So the paths for those I would configure in the Pi config file are `//192.168.42.2/tesla' and '//192.168.42.2/teslatunes'.

In the config file, this would be (in relevant part):
Code:
export archiverserver=192.168.42.2
export sharename=tesla
[...]
export musicsharename=teslatunes

Be sure that you've set sharename and shareuser correctly to a valid credential pair on your CIFS server.

If it's working fine with a local PC (I'm going to presume Windows, because why not?), you should be able to pull up the share at the same UNC path that Linux is trying to pull up, albeit with the slashes going in the other direction.

If you press Windows+R, and in the dialog, type '//192.168.1.11/', that should open an Explorer window with the server you're trying to connect to. In there, you will see one folder for each share on the server. For example, on my setup, when I go to '//192.168.42.2/', I see (in relevant part) the 'tesla' and 'teslatunes' shares which I created for the Pi to use. So the paths for those I would configure in the Pi config file are `//192.168.42.2/tesla' and '//192.168.42.2/teslatunes'.

In the config file, this would be (in relevant part):
Code:
export archiverserver=192.168.42.2
export sharename=tesla
[...]
export musicsharename=teslatunes

Be sure that you've set sharename and shareuser correctly to a valid credential pair on your CIFS server.

Yes, I can see the shares from a Windows PC fine and I'm using the same syntax you have used in the config file but the pi isn't mounting them.

What happens when you try the `mount` command manually on the pi's command line?

This is what I've tried, but I get the same error when I try it for the working PC configuration, so I'm obviously doing something wrong with the command?

root@teslausb:~# mount -t cifs '//192.168.1.11/volume1/TeslaCam'
mount: //192.168.1.11/volume1/TeslaCam: can't find in /etc/fstab.

Ah! It's working!

It was due to a File Services setting in the Synology not being correct.
For anyone else with the same problem, go to Control Panel>File Services then in the SMB/AFP/NFS tab go to Advanced Settings and make sure you have Maximum SMB Protocol set to 'SMB3' and Minimum SMB Protocol set to 'SMB2 and Large MTU'.

Thanks for everyone's help.