Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone successful in getting Tesla to install on roof over a deck?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We're building a new deck on the sunniest side of the house and plan to cover it with a roof that would perfectly hold 16 panels. But the project managers I can get to on the phone (all junior people, so far) said that Tesla is unwilling to place panels on any structure that doesn't have at least 3 solid walls even if it has been designed by a structural engineer and approved by the city.

Has anyone successfully got Telsa in install on a deck's roof? (We're in California, if that makes a different to your answer/experience.)

The simplistic "no install on something with 3 walls" answer is frustrating since the 900 lbs of panels is a tiny fraction of the 40,000 lbs that is being designed around for seismic and load considerations. It's also been frustrating up to this point since I've been unable to get to the people that really call the shots.

Unfortunately we have seen a number of similar posts like this lately. Not necessarily installing on a deck, but people trying to do a non-standard install of some sort and in every case Tesla simply refuses to do the install. Tesla is one of the least expensive solar installers right now and one of the ways they keep their costs down is by only doing reasonably straightforward cookie cutter type installs. If you have something that doesn’t fit into their cookie cutter then they will just refuse to do that install.

However, this is also a great opportunity for a local solar installer. Smaller companies are usually much more willing to work with people to get exactly what they want and to do non-standard installs. Unfortunately you will pay a little more for it, but you will be able to get exactly what you want.

i was able to get tesla to update my layout for a 22' roof extension. i sent them my plans for my project. at first they were we can't until the satellite images where updated...
I ended up dumping tesla and going with a local installer thou for enphase system, same panels.

Unfortunately we have seen a number of similar posts like this lately. Not necessarily installing on a deck, but people trying to do a non-standard install of some sort and in every case Tesla simply refuses to do the install. Tesla is one of the least expensive solar installers right now and one of the ways they keep their costs down is by only doing reasonably straightforward cookie cutter type installs. If you have something that doesn’t fit into their cookie cutter then they will just refuse to do that install.

I'm actually surprised they ended up doing the solar panels on my flat roof.

I'm doing solar glass instead of panels, so this doesn't help you but it may be of interest to others. I was told Tesla would only put solar glass (active or non-active) tiles on roofs that have a pitch greater than 10 degrees to prevent leak problems. I had asked about adding non-active tiles to the roof of a screened-in deck area when I was told about the pitch requirement.

So, Tesla won't install panels on my all steel carport? Hmmm.
I think not. I'd encourage you to check if that's what you're counting on. I'm more than a bit disappointed since our structure is designed by a structural engineer and approved by the city of Oakland, but I believe that Tesla will refuse to install on it. I'm trying to get a final ruling from them.

i was able to get tesla to update my layout for a 22' roof extension. i sent them my plans for my project. at first they were we can't until the satellite images where updated...
I ended up dumping tesla and going with a local installer thou for enphase system, same panels.
Don't quite follow your story....

Tesla initially said that they had to wait until satellite images were update, but then later agreed to design a layout for your 22' roof extension.

But you still decided to dump Tesla and go with someone else?