TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Anyone switch from X to S?

Discussion in 'Model X' started by Pandamoanium, Nov 6, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Pandamoanium

Pandamoanium Member

Curious if anyone has switched their Model X to a Model S, or is going to. What are your reasons?

I'm going to buy my wife a small SUV she wants and the X will default to me, so I'm considering the switch to an S. We have two kids and the S will still fit our needs. Might not be as easy but then again without having to worry about the FWDs is always a good thing, especially in Colorado. I'm sure despite the incentives/credit I'll take a small hit but would like to hear some other opinions.

• Like x 1
  2. commasign

commasign Active Member

We have both. The X (especially the 6-seater) is definitely a more family friendly vehicle. Not to say that the S isn't family friendly because it's reasonably comfortable for a family of 4, but whenever we go anywhere with the kids we take the X. With that said, if your new SUV will fill the role of the family hauler and you're looking for your own "fun car", then go for one of the Model S Ludicrous models. ;)

3. Hitman007

Hitman007 Member

I dont like the S because I always slam my shoulder and bump my head when getting in the car. Its too small for me. I am only 6'1" so not sure why this happens but the A pillar is too far forward for me.

• Like x 4
  4. jonman

jonman Member

That is the main reason why I got myself an X. I'm 6'3" and I can't stand getting in/out of the S.

• Like x 4
  5. Pandamoanium

Pandamoanium Member

I'm 5'8" so I don't think that's an issue. Though I have wide shoulders, it's not too bad. The new ones with the new AP2.0 are tempting me to switch...

• Like x 1
  6. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

I am 6'2" and have no trouble entering/exiting my S but agree that it does take some flexibility. I have checked out the X and it is obviously much easier to enter/exit than the S.

7. Missile Toad

Missile Toad Member

I am 6'4" and have little trouble entering/exiting my S but agree that it does take some flexibility. Some of my cyborg parts make me more suitable for this 'bendy' thing.

• Funny x 1
  8. MorrisonHiker

MorrisonHiker S 90D 2017.34 2448cfc

I had a reservation for an X for a year and a half but finally canceled it last week. The lack of folding second row seats was a deal breaker for me. It's more a a minivan/MPV than an SUV and it wouldn't fit my needs. They do now offer a 5 seat version with folding seats but I would've wanted a 6 seat version with folding seats. I did like the ride height of the X but didn't want to make a $100,000 purchase decision after the 15 minute test drive event last March. I ended up placing an order for an S a couple weeks after test driving the X and am finally having it delivered next week.

If you search back a ways in the forum, you can find lots of other threads discussing X vs. S.

9. electricity

electricity Member

The only reason I would switch to a S is if I really wanted ludicrous fun. For everythibg else I feel the X is a way better car and not just for confort. The windshield is a dream.

• Like x 1
  10. Saghost

Saghost Active Member

One of the three or four big reasons I picked the X over the S (Also the windshield, factory towing, and at the time the ventilated seats (somewhat disappointing) and HEPA filter were X only.)

11. travwill

travwill Active Member

Nope. S to X here. Loved the S, but like the X better. Visibility is much better. Getting in and out is a LOT easier for me, and passengers (older parents, etc.). It has plenty of cargo room, and like the ride height a lot more. S was great, did feel "sportier" and overall I think is a sexier automobile. Also like some little refinements in the X like some additional wood trim, storage spaces, adjustable seat belt restraints, and few things the S should have had by now.

Now, if they would only make a nice refined convertible S, could see that in our garage as an additional family member...

• Like x 2
  12. hill

hill Member

We had our $5k reservation on the X waitlist for over 1½ - until just a few weeks ago. Vs will be delivered in just a couple more weeks. Even at 6'-5" our decision to switch was based on dissatisfaction with company responses relating to ghosting. On the one hand we are told it's the nature of curvy glass. That response simply sounds like they're saying you just have to deal with it. On the other hand there's supposed to be a fix coming soon. Well, how can there be a fix if "that's just the nature". And how can that be the nature when the anomaly occurs inconsistently between vehicles. Yea - I'd rather have a difficult time getting in and out or bumping my head then hoping I didn't get a windshield with ghosting. Maybe when there's 100% satisfaction - we can switch vehicles.

13. PGeer

PGeer Member

Just talked to a friend today who has 300 miles on his S. He's getting on in years and finds himself having trouble getting in and out. After riding in my X, he's made the difficult choice to take the financial loss and trade in for an X. I hope Tesla cuts him a fair deal.

• Like x 1
  14. USMC_Mustang

USMC_Mustang Member

I tried to go from S to X, but the financial hit on Tesla's 20% depreciation trade-in offer prevented the switch. I like the S, but an X would suit our family needs better.

15. ptsagcy

ptsagcy Member

There's only a half second difference between the X and the S. The X is faster than anything else you have ever driven. I've had mine to the drags and it is a blast. I'm an old drag racer from the 60's and have never driven anything nearly as fast. Mine is "only" a P90 (no L) but the 1/4 mile in 12 seconds flat at 112 mph is better than I ever did in the old days, including the big block Vettes..

16. electricity

electricity Member

Its true I agree with you. The handling and overall drive and floor distance makes the S a sportier car is what I was try to say, still I take my X over a S anytime as I believe overall its just alot better.

17. Darryl

Darryl ModelXTracker.com Co-Adm

I have terrible back problems and have a hard time getting in and out of the Model S.

18. Pandamoanium

Pandamoanium Member

I think we're going to hold off and see what happens. The SC has been fixing all of the issues but since it's snowing here now I'm just worried the doors will stop working when it's in the negatives and I have kids in the car...

Maybe it'll just work, though if there is a huge discount on a nice P90D... Maybe I'll switch to the S or upgrade the X...

19. ohmman

ohmman Maximum Plaid Member

We have both and while I used to take the S whenever I had the kids, I've migrated to the X. Mostly that has to do with the FWDs being mostly in order at this point. Still annoying when there's something overhead or when it freaks out a neighboring vehicle, but otherwise mostly I'm accustomed to them.

My feeling is that I'll upgrade the X sooner than I expected. I was hoping for 4 years (warranty period) but if a year and half passes, and there's an extended range X, I'll probably bite. The good news is that I'd get another X!

• Like x 1
  20. Pandamoanium

Pandamoanium Member

Truth, issues get resolved quickly and they tend to do better, but it makes me wonder if the mechanical parts still have a certain life to them currently and Tesla is working to extend it. I think they're working this out before adding it to the S.

100D would be great, but the P ones are also very tempting, despite not having the newest tech.