TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Anyone switched from Aero to Sports wheel and got VIN?

Discussion in 'Model 3: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by paulvinh, May 6, 2018.

1. paulvinh

paulvinh Member

Curious if anyone that took the chance of switching from Aero to Sports actually got their VIN and VIN/ delivery?

Specifically Los Angeles area.

2. superh0

superh0 Member

I just switched from Sports to Aero last night.. 4.18 config date. Nothing!

3. xianking

xianking Member

I switched from Aero to Sport on 4/18 and no VIN. I think the last Sport wheel VIN assigned is from 4/26. Hopefully the next batch of cars is Sport wheels.

4. NoTDI

NoTDI Member

Configured 3/22 changed from 18” to 19” 4/9
    Received VIN 4/26 lost VIN 4/27
    No VIN

• Helpful x 1
  5. paulvinh

paulvinh Member

What the...?

6. NoTDI

NoTDI Member

Right?
    The best part is their attitude that this normal and the 3-6 weeks is an estimate. When I ask them why my VIN was taken away they say we did it to ensure you get the fastest delivery. It’s pretty idiotic
    I rather they say oh we screwed up and we make it up to you and you get your car on ....

7. SFLM3

SFLM3 Member

Configured on 4/6 as a white aero. Switched to sport wheels on 4/17. No VIN.

8. 03DSG

03DSG Active Member

It’s the opposite in Canada right now. So far only 18” aeros in all colors getting VIN’s. No 19” VIN’s yet at all.

• Informative x 1
  9. bgbolton

bgbolton Member

It is not that it is opposite it is that they are building only 18in right now

10. xianking

xianking Member

Ha. Has anyone switched from Sport to Aero and gotten a VIN!?

11. jtpassat

jtpassat Member

it's like jumping off one checkout line to another thinking that it will go faster but then the person in front of you decides to pay with a check.

• Funny x 2
  12. ElectricKid

ElectricKid Member

Yes here in Toronto, I made the switch from Sport to Aero and received the VIN within 2 days.

• Like x 1
  13. parkds_nyc

parkds_nyc Member

Has anyone in the US switched back to the Aero wheels and received a VIN? I am at almost 6 weeks since I originally configured and over 3 weeks since I switched from Aero to 19” wheels. Was hoping to receive the car in time for Memorial Day weekend, but that seems pretty slim at this point.

14. NoTDI

NoTDI Member

Switched from 18 to 19 on 4/9 and recieved VIN yesterday
    3/22 conf
    I think mine is an exception that took so long

15. NoTDI

NoTDI Member

Call and ask them if an advisor has been assigned and ask them to have the advisor call you

16. bgbolton

bgbolton Member

Note the car was made march so this is not a sign of sport wheel batches :(

17. parkds_nyc

parkds_nyc Member

Thanks. I will give that a try. I gave them a call a few days ago and got the standard scripted response: can take 6 weeks for VIN; nothing can be done to estimate or help with timing.

18. Marsnaut

Marsnaut Member

I think there was really bad timing. People who changed right before the batching switched back to aeros were able to get a VIN earlier. However, it's been all aero for the past two weeks so those who gambled ended up losing out. I was thinking about it but stuck with aero and don't regret my decision.

19. parkds_nyc

parkds_nyc Member

Yeah, I definitely should not have changed lanes and stuck with the aeros. It seems like I would have received my VIN by now. In all honestly, I am completely indifferent between the two wheels, I was just trying to get the car in time for a scheduled road trip over Memorial Day weekend.

20. xianking

xianking Member

User @shakotha on the Tesla.com forums switched their 4/15 config from Aero to Sport on 4/18 and never got a VIN. They switched back to Aeros on 5/10 and received a VIN on 5/11.