Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone switching to a Rivian R1T after watching reviews?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As a Tesla and Rivian owner, do you regret not waiting for the Max Pack at all? Having to drive a Model X at 55 mph to make it to the next SC on cross country trips made me spring for the largest pack available on my R1T preorder, but now I'm not so sure if it's worth the wait.

I'm waiting for the max pack. The range of my Model Y LR has been problematic for me. I don't want to lose the Supercharger network and still have a 300 mile range.

I'm waiting for the max pack. The range of my Model Y LR has been problematic for me. I don't want to lose the Supercharger network and still have a 300 mile range.

I switched from the Max Pack to the Large pack because I felt like my range experiences with Tesla were largely the result of Tesla being way optimistic about rated range.

Rivian seems to be more conservative so you see people actually achieving the 300 mile range.

In my 2018 Tesla P3D I struggle to hit 200 miles let alone anything close to 300 miles.

If someone made a 300 mile range car that could easily do 240 miles (with 10% on the top, and 10% on the bottom), and could get that range whether I was driving in the rain while doing 75+ mph I'd be perfectly content.

I did change my Rivian configuration from AT tires to street tires due to the range hit with AT tires.

One thing that struck me was how underpriced Rivian reservations are.

My current Rivian R1T reservation is about the same price as a new Model Y performance if you subtract the $7500 tax credit from the Rivian price.

I didn't reserve it for pricing reasons, but I might take delivery as soon as I can simply due to the fact that I feel like its way underpriced compared to market value. It will be that way for awhile.

I don't intend on reselling it, but its always nice for a vehicle to be worth more than I owe. :)

I'm the opposite. Had a Chevy Colorado ZR2, sold it to buy a MYP, and now am waiting for the R1T to go back to a truck. I love the efficiency and the SC network, but the MYP is delicate and I find I'm hesitant to do the things that I was used to doing with the truck like driving dirt roads to get to a trailhead, driving deep snow, etc. Not to mention that I obviously can't pack as much in the back of the MYP and surely won't be picking up any lumber at Home Depot!
I did everything with my X that I ever did with my Jeep. I have two trailers, one light duty and one heavy duty with Hydraulic Dumping.
That's the best all worlds. Why carry a big (low efficiency) box around everywhere you go. In fact, I just switched to a Model S and added an X hitch and will do everything the X did. Except high clearance, which I'm a little concerned about. Already made a dump run and off to Home Depot tomorrow.

Reactions: CjRichMar
I did everything with my X that I ever did with my Jeep. I have two trailers, one light duty and one heavy duty with Hydraulic Dumping.
That's the best all worlds. Why carry a big (low efficiency) box around everywhere you go. In fact, I just switched to a Model S and added an X hitch and will do everything the X did. Except high clearance, which I'm a little concerned about. Already made a dump run and off to Home Depot tomorrow.

I also enjoy using my X to the fullest extent. I've hauled 8 ft lumber, concrete mix, fertlizer, mulch, and dogs in my X, and it's never complained. The one thing I can't organically do with the vehicle is haul a motorcycle, which is enough for me to justify a truck.