Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone switching to a Rivian R1T after watching reviews?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm gonna wait for the Ford Lightning because this will be a "truck". I hope soon for an F250 with a similar powertrain
3/4 ton or 1 ton extended cab long bed or crew cab long bed . Something like this
vehicle.png

Clearly, all 3 trucks appeal to different buyers. Choice is good.
Exactly!

Range is not very important to me as my daily commute is ony 50mi round trip and the weekend trip to the local boat ramp is less than 5miles.

My boat+ trailer is slightly under 3,500lbs and the RT1 should have no problems pulling it from the water. We also get a decent amount of snow here, again, the RT1 looks very capable of handling moderate amounts of snow. Check and check for me!

Exciting times ahead!!

To me, one thing that may put Ford in the lead for first time EV buyers is their vast established dealer network. Until you realize just how reliable EV's are.. the dealer support network may be a big factor in your buying decision.

Here is my dealer visit log from past and current EV's:

2012 Plug-in-Prius: never at dealership
2014 Volt: never at dealership
2017 Bolt: never at dealership
2021 Model Y: never at dealership
2021 Model 3: never at dealership

Last edited:
Exciting times ahead!!

To me, one thing that may put Ford in the lead for first time EV buyers is their vast established dealer network. Until you realize just how reliable EV's are.. the dealer support network may be a big factor in your buying decision.

Here is my dealer visit log from past and current EV's:

2012 Plug-in-Prius: never at dealership
2014 Volt: never at dealership
2017 Bolt: never at dealership
2021 Model Y: never at dealership
2021 Model 3: never at dealership
To me, dealerships are a thinly veiled service racquet. Ev's don't need much routine maintenance.

Reactions: cusetownusa
^ Agreed, but to EV newcomers local widespread factory support is comforting. Heck, I held off purchasing my MY and M3 until our local (less than 5mi from our house) service center officially opened in 2020.

Knowing what I know now, I'm fine with Rivian sending a mobile tech to me. If their QC is as good or better than Toyota, GM or Tesla.. I may never need a mobile tech visit.

Where are their repair facilities located?
Probably picked up in your driveway like the early days of Tesla, I remember the good ole days of owning a 2013 P85 and getting a flat bed to come to my work, pick the car up and repair it and return it the same day to my work garage and when I did go into the SC, they gave me brand new P85+ (which I later bought) to drive if they kept it overnight. Now I live near 3 SC's that can't get me in for a month, so they divert me to another state with a month wait as well, I can't talk to the techs unless its thru an app, and I feel like a number, not a customer.

This might be what gets me to cancel the 2nd CyberTruck and grab a Ford or Rivian. Ford is 2 miles from my house and I known the owners for over a decade. I cancelled the first CyberTruck after the failed to honor a warranty, next event from them and and will cancel the 2nd one and move on to a competitor. Don't get me wrong I have loved all 3 Model S's that and two that we currently own, but I have given Tesla almost $100K every other year since 2013 and get treated like a I should just eat their subpar service and love it. I vote with my dollars and they won't be getting anymore unless they grow up.

The Rivian is disgusting - so ugly and a very short bed - what are you all seeing? I wouldn't take one of these things even if I was given one.

Brent
I respect your opinion on R1T looks like I assume you respect the opinion of those who think the R1T is nice looking. That aside, if you have a chance... take a look at the Rivian off road event that took place in the Colorado outback... you may come away impressed by the capabilities and the features of the R1T. It sure seems well built with some great attributes.

I don't care if it was the best performing truck in all of history - the front-end of that truck disturbs me greatly. It reminds me of a Simpsons cartoon character - not a good thing. The pricing is also too high and they will not have the amazing Tesla Supercharger network. I went to New York from California and back using a 2014 Model S 85 without autopilot and I only had a minor issue one time where I had to walk 3 miles because I did not plan the trip and the hotel with the Tesla chargers had no open rooms. What other electric car can you do a spur of the moment coast-to-coast trip???

Brent

The Rivian is disgusting - so ugly and a very short bed - what are you all seeing? I wouldn't take one of these things even if I was given one.

Brent
Preferences and tastes are unique to each person. I've seen 2 in person (pre prod models driving around the bay area), and I think they look great, but to each his own. The short bed works for their target market outdoor enthusiast/overlander, and it allows the truck to fit in most garages while having room to sit 4-5 people comfortably.

I don't care if it was the best performing truck in all of history - the front-end of that truck disturbs me greatly. It reminds me of a Simpsons cartoon character - not a good thing. The pricing is also too high and they will not have the amazing Tesla Supercharger network. I went to New York from California and back using a 2014 Model S 85 without autopilot and I only had a minor issue one time where I had to walk 3 miles because I did not plan the trip and the hotel with the Tesla chargers had no open rooms. What other electric car can you do a spur of the moment coast-to-coast trip???

Brent
1280px-Mr._Krabs.svg.png

Re: Bed

__ It’s a deep composite bed with a roll-top tonneau cover that locks along with the tailgate when you lock the truck. The bed floor opens to nearly 7 feet long (83.6 inches) with the gooseneck-hinged tailgate dropped open, and there’s a sturdy folding flap that neatly bridges the hinge gap. The front trunk provides another 11 cubic feet of dry, lockable space, and Rivian’s revolutionary truck-spanning “Gear Tunnel” is good for an additional 11.6 cubic feet of the same.
__ The bed floor also opens up to reveal a deep well big enough for the optional full-sized matching 34-inch spare wheel and tire, but that does beg the question of how one is supposed to muscle something that must weigh some 80 pounds up and out of there.
[JerryRigEverything did a tire change in the video at 6:55 JRE YT video URL .]
__ The bed has lighting, power outlets and clip-in attachments for well-engineered factory crossbars. Those of us who air down for off-roading will appreciate the standard air compressor built into the inner wall, and there’s a long hose with a clamp-on filler. Plug one end into the bed fitting and clamp the other to a tire’s fill valve, select the pressure on the screen and hit the Play button. It takes a few minutes per tire, and you have to work your way around the truck, but this is an awesome factory feature. Just below the Play button there are sockets for Gear Guard cables you can loop around cargo or a bike frame. If someone tugs on a cable while the truck is locked, the interior screen lights up...
via: 2022 Rivian R1T First Drive Review | Truck to the future

2022-Rivian-R1T-bed-open.jpg

Below via: Awesome Utility Features of the Rivian R1T Electric Truck That Will Knock Your Socks Off - MotorBiscuit
sEEIDGs.jpg

How Do You Access The Gear Tunnel?​

The lateral doors open via buttons located on the side of the bed, or via the infotainment system. In addition, a small rear-seat pass-through allows access the tunnel from the cab, though you'll only be able to slide your arm through it—so plan your tunnel packing accordingly. The two lateral doors can hold up to 300 pounds each, which means you can use them as a seat during tailgate events or camping trips.
Via: 2022 Rivian R1T Gear Tunnel Hands-On Review: How Much Stuff Fits in There?
Rivian-R1T-Gear-Tunnel.jpg

Last edited:
I am not in the market for a truck, but for those that are, I will say one thing in Rivian’s favour: they are actually producing their truck for customers. There are a lot of announcements and plans for electric vehicles these days, but you have to prefer something that is actually being built over ‘vapour-ware’. Tesla has been in the lead on that front over the past years, but are now handing over the advantage, for trucks anyway, to Rivian and Ford. There is a question about how fast Rivian and Ford will scale up mass production of their trucks, so Tesla might regain some ground once their CT is actually released, but certainly Tesla is going to have to come from behind in this important segment of the market.

Reactions: QUBO
Probably picked up in your driveway like the early days of Tesla, I remember the good ole days of owning a 2013 P85 and getting a flat bed to come to my work, pick the car up and repair it and return it the same day to my work garage and when I did go into the SC, they gave me brand new P85+ (which I later bought) to drive if they kept it overnight. Now I live near 3 SC's that can't get me in for a month, so they divert me to another state with a month wait as well, I can't talk to the techs unless its thru an app, and I feel like a number, not a customer.

This might be what gets me to cancel the 2nd CyberTruck and grab a Ford or Rivian. Ford is 2 miles from my house and I known the owners for over a decade. I cancelled the first CyberTruck after the failed to honor a warranty, next event from them and and will cancel the 2nd one and move on to a competitor. Don't get me wrong I have loved all 3 Model S's that and two that we currently own, but I have given Tesla almost $100K every other year since 2013 and get treated like a I should just eat their subpar service and love it. I vote with my dollars and they won't be getting anymore unless they grow up.

It is my understanding the ford dealerships will not be able to service EVs? i thought the mach Es could only be serviced at certain service centers so that dealership down the street wont be much help. Someone correct me if im wrong

ford dealerships will not be able to service EV
Not sure beyond these types of articles.
According to a letter sent to dealers on Monday, the automaker estimates that dealers will have to invest as much as $35,000 to attain what the company calls its "next-generation" EV certification. ...
Failure to attain certification could be costly to dealers. Ford says this will disqualify them from being able to take reservations and online orders "for current and future Ford EV products" and perform warranty service. ...
Given the immense interest among consumers for the all-new Mach-E, we think it's likely that dealers will opt to be certified.
However, there's always the chance that your local dealer may not find it worth getting fully certified.
To put that into perspective, only about half of GMC dealers will carry the new Hummer EV.

It is my understanding the ford dealerships will not be able to service EVs? i thought the mach Es could only be serviced at certain service centers so that dealership down the street wont be much help. Someone correct me if im wrong
You are probably right, our local dealership has the MachE, but I don't know if they can service them. I'll bet the dealer markup is insane.