Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone switching to a Rivian R1T after watching reviews?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Zorg

Oct 24, 2017
Fremont, ca
Curious to see whether any CT reservation holder is switching to a Rivian after seeing the initial reviews. I have to say that the Rivian looks really really good, though becomes quite expensive if opting for the max pack. I'm probably stick with the CT anyway, but I'm interested in getting others' impressions.

That being said, if I weren't a CT day 2 reservation holder, I'd probably order the Rivian. At least with the Rivian, it looks like one has a decent shot at getting it by the end of 2022 if ordering now. I'm guessing that CT current new orders won't be fulfilled for at least another 2 years.

I was very impressed by the Colorado RT1 off road event. I also downloaded the owners manual and read all 168 pages, some really great features in the truck. I did place an order for the top level trim RT1...

As to the price, -$7.5K fed tax credit and -$2K NY State Drive Clean Point of Sale rebate, so almost $10K off the $73K price.

To be honest, if both manufacturers called me today and told me my truck is ready... I really don't know which I'd choose.

The Rivian is very impressive. If it had Tesla's charging network I would consider it. I wonder if it will get some orders over the CT and F150 because it will fit in most garages.

A) One of the best video reviews I've seen. Good camera work and the tire change was very interesting too:

B) Some good behind the scenes info near the beginning of this one:

The truck looks good, but I'm going to wait for the CT because I don't want to have a traditional pickup style, they're too expensive, won't have as much range or the charging network, and don't have the cover over the bed, which will allow me to use the truck as a minivan/RV replacement.

But in the overall scheme of things, it's good to have more EVs than less. This seems like more of a competitor to the FORD than to the Tesla.

I want a reliable charging network.
I want FSD.
Some things may change if Tesla opens up their network. The RAN (Rivian Adventure Network) will have non-highway focused charging as well.

Looks like they have the hardware for L3. Some

Re: outdoors -- The cameras are pretty awesome in the lower front and lower side views. Good examples of use in JerryRigEverything video. Hopefully features in one vehicle influence other companies. Competition can be good for all of us.

Driver+ info:
pSztKR7.jpg

Some things may change if Tesla opens up their network. The RAN (Rivian Adventure Network) will have non-highway focused charging as well.

Looks like they have the hardware for L3. Some

Re: outdoors -- The cameras are pretty awesome in the lower front and lower side views. Good examples of use in JerryRigEverything video. Hopefully features in one vehicle influence other companies. Competition can be good for all of us.

Driver+ info:
pSztKR7.jpg
Agree....once Tesla opens up their SuperCharger network, all other EVs become that much more desirable (assuming the pricing is not prohibitively higher than for Teslas). But when is that happening in the USA?

As for FSD, I can't see a start-up challenging Tesla anytime soon. Or are they licencing someone else's tech? Heck, even Telsa is having a rough go at solving it. Even in it's current state, FSD is very useful. But I also want the possible option of putting my CT to work in the RoboTaxi network...even if that's years away. No other manufacture has that on the roadmap as far as I know.

I was very impressed by the Colorado RT1 off road event. I also downloaded the owners manual and read all 168 pages, some really great features in the truck. I did place an order for the top level trim RT1...

As to the price, -$7.5K fed tax credit and -$2K NY State Drive Clean Point of Sale rebate, so almost $10K off the $73K price.

To be honest, if both manufacturers called me today and told me my truck is ready... I really don't know which I'd choose.
NYS ev over $42K $500 rebate

Rivian filing info was dissected here over several page:

Service -- 120 service centers and to deploy in excess of 1,000 mobile service vans in 2023

I don't understand why the base model is so expensive
I think a big part of it is the drivetrain and suspension is the same across all, it would be equivalent to a trimotor being on all CTs

To the question though, I did throw in a preorder, liked what I saw and the size is appealing. I figure by the time I get a chance to order I will have more info to be confident in a decision and since it's refundable, no loss.