Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone switching to a Rivian R1T after watching reviews?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
.. and... NO HUB MOTORS! Again, again!

4 motors, each connected to wheel spindles via half-shafts and CV-Joints.

Riv Drive.png

If I’ll switch to anything, it’ll be a Lightning; long term Ford owner here.

What attracts me to the Cybertruck is its crazy exterior styling, simplistic interior styling, and Tesla’s Supercharger network.

Rivian is too new of a company; I’m not an early adopter.

At lease with Ford, there is the advantage of a dealer network if (more likely when 😁) a truck breaks down. Also, I like the idea of bi-directional charging. Hope Tesla matches this feature. Doubt it though; probably eat into their Powerwall sales.

you have a point ... *if* your Tesla has no issues or minor issues being addressed by the mobile service network ... then it's a great experience

the moment something larger breaks and it's service center time - the experience is vastly inferior to most OEMs:

- uber credit and no loaners for most
- no human to talk to, all done over app
- wait times for fixes and "waiting for parts"
It is infuriating, I wouldn't even us the word "Service". I found 749 words that describe what you get after you buy a Tesla..

Here are my favorites:
disservice (yes)
hindrance (yes)
detriment (yes)
time off (work)
block (your calendar)
constraint (the app)
deterrence (we won't tell you we don't have the parts)
discouragement (god I gave these guys $350K over the last 7 years, what happened to them)
encumbrance (honey why did you buy this car again)
if it aint broke don't fix it (I don't hear the rattle)
frustration (wife who is screaming at me right now)
impediment (slipping me to a SC in another state for service)
interference (COVID doesn't allow us to talk to you)
irritant (we will answer the email when we feel like it)
leisure (time it takes to get an appointment)
obstacle (you can't drop off early and if you do no UBER credits for you -in my best soap nazi voice and no loaners ever)
obstruction (constant)
respite (you'll get none)
restraint (you are going to need it)
retirement (status you need to play with SC)
stranglehold (aka monopoly right now, can't take it to another dealer to fix it)
vacation (you will need one)
waste (your time)
adjournments
admin staff (not empowered)
albatross (in driveway for 3 weeks, while you schedule your own tow truck, hey why is your car collapsed on the ground, as 600 parents drop off their kids every week in front of your house to go to the school across the street)
antagonist (what you become when normally you are sane)
baggage
barrier
basket case (what you will become)
be of no help
beg a favor (can you give me a ride, my $120K car is in the shop)
blemish (after the "car wash")
break down (what it does when you sear a lower aft control arm off in the middle of the road)
breaks (rarely, but when it does FU)
breathing spells (what you need when...)
burden (you are a burden, we don't want to service you car, just sell you new ones)
butchers (where are the 16 under belly screws and retainers that I dropped the car off with?)
chain (you are on one)
chose not to help (I asked a question you don't know the answer too, so you ignore it for 2 days)
chose to abandon (Cancelled my 1st CT order, Cancelling the 2nd one tonight)
Clog (what you are to Tesla and what the poor employees are at the SC)
contretemps
convenience (at ours, not yours)
counteraction
cross (how you feel driving to the SC, knowing you told them to fix this last time)
crutch
curb (your enthusiasm)
curse (what you do when....)
cut-offs (we fixed with zip ties, you just need to cut off the excess and it will be fine)
dash to pieces (hope that it will get better)
debit (why did I do this)
.... Lets Go E Lon!

Attachments

• 1F67C792-752A-4824-A99E-9E4365F51F1C.png
    1F67C792-752A-4824-A99E-9E4365F51F1C.png
    444.9 KB · Views: 67
It is infuriating, I wouldn't even us the word "Service". I found 749 words that describe what you get after you buy a Tesla..

Here are my favorites:
disservice (yes)
hindrance (yes)
detriment (yes)
time off (work)
block (your calendar)
constraint (the app)
discouragement (god I gave these guys $350K over the last 7 years, what happened to them)
obstacle (you can't drop off early and if you do no UBER credits for you -in my best soap nazi voice and no loaners ever)
obstruction (constant)
stranglehold (aka monopoly right now, can't take it to another dealer to fix it)
waste (your time)
adjournments
albatross (in driveway for 3 weeks, while you schedule your own tow truck, hey why is your car collapsed on the ground, as 600 parents drop off their kids every week in front of your house to go to the school across the street)
baggage
barrier
be of no help
break down (what it does when you sear a lower aft control arm off in the middle of the road)
burden (you are a burden, we don't want to service you car, just sell you new ones)
butchers (where are the 16 under belly screws and retainers that I dropped the car off with?)
chain (you are on one)
chose not to help (I asked a question you don't know the answer too, so you ignore it for 2 days)
contretemps
counteraction
cross (how you feel driving to the SC, knowing you told them to fix this last time)
crutch
curb (your enthusiasm)
cut-offs (we fixed with zip ties, you just need to cut off the excess and it will be fine)
.... Lets Go E Lon!
Well done.

Well done.
Just got back Rockville MD "Service" Center , wasted 2 evenings communing the 80 miles roundtrip (past two other Virginia "Service" Centers within ten miles of my house/work, for the exact same issue that the Tyson Corner "Service" Center, said was resolved, only to find out that the Rockville SC didn't look at the ticket until I dropped it off, then called me to tell me they don't have the parts (after I was already home on my own Uber dime), then pushed the appointment out to 22 NOV at the same Rockville SC 80 miles round trip from my house. WTF?

Then 5 minutes after I left the SC I realized that the Navigation system was locked on the Rockville "Service" Center. stopped to reset the car twice, no change, powered off car, no change. Got into the app to setup a new appointment for the NAV, only to find out that can't open a new ticket because they never closed out the ticket for the front louvers that were not in stock, blocking my ability to setup a new appointment.

I was able to cancel the future appointment, glad I fixed the seared off AFT Control Arm myself, it would still be stuck in my driveway.

Great car, destroyed by events like this. It's like dating a supermodel (the car), who is managed by a bipolar agent that forgot to take their meds (the company)

Best part is my daughter wrecked my old P85+ that I just sold her a week ago, probably take about 4 months to get it fixed since she crushed the hood, louvers, lights, front grill and nothing is in stock.... think I will break open the bottle of Blanton's tonight....

For the record the last thing I would do is place a deposit on a vehicle that doesn't have a backend support infrastructure, no Rivian for me and I think Tesla's days in our driveway are numbered as well.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: tm1v2 and TessP100D
Just got back Rockville MD "Service" Center , wasted 2 evenings communing the 80 miles roundtrip (past two other Virginia "Service" Centers within ten miles of my house/work, for the exact same issue that the Tyson Corner "Service" Center, said was resolved, only to find out that the Rockville SC didn't look at the ticket until I dropped it off, then called me to tell me they don't have the parts (after I was already home on my own Uber dime), then pushed the appointment out to 22 NOV at the same Rockville SC 80 miles round trip from my house. WTF?

Then 5 minutes after I left the SC I realized that the Navigation system was locked on the Rockville "Service" Center. stopped to reset the car twice, no change, powered off car, no change. Got into the app to setup a new appointment for the NAV, only to find out that can't open a new ticket because they never closed out the ticket for the front louvers that were not in stock, blocking my ability to setup a new appointment.

I was able to cancel the future appointment, glad I fixed the seared off AFT Control Arm myself, it would still be stuck in my driveway.

Great car, destroyed by events like this. It's like dating a supermodel (the car), who is managed by a bipolar agent that forgot to take their meds (the company)

Best part is my daughter wrecked my old P85+ that I just sold her a week ago, probably take about 4 months to get it fixed since she crushed the hood, louvers, lights, front grill and nothing is in stock.... think I will break open the bottle of Blanton's tonight....

For the record the last thing I would do is place a deposit on a vehicle that doesn't have a backend support infrastructure, no Rivian for me and I think Tesla's days in our driveway are numbered as well.
Ouch, that sounds terrible. I had 1 terrible service experience with my Model 3 where it broke down, service said the car needed to be towed and it was unsafe to drive, something to do with the high voltage contactor and potentially losing power while driving all precipitated by a charging failure.
I was busy and told them I couldn't be around to get it towed that day so would do it the next day. When I called the next day, they told me the code cleared and I could drive it in. I live about 30 miles away from a service center so I was incredulous that a car that is unsafe is suddenly now safe. Went back and forth with them on the phone and just got no where not to mention the lengthy hold time, ended up driving it in super slow and ended up switching service centers to one further away. The difference was night and day though the lead time to an appointment is still insane....if it was my only car, I would be SOL

Here are my favorites:
disservice (yes)
hindrance (yes)
detriment (yes)
time off (work)
block (your calendar)
constraint (the app)
obstruction (constant)
waste (your time)
adjournments
baggage
barrier
be of no help
chain (you are on one)
contretemps
counteraction
crutch
curb (your enthusiasm)
.... Lets Go E Lon!

Normally, I would say my experience with mobile service as been great (12V battery died and they came 2 days later to replace it), though when they had to replace the front tow cap cover on the bumper, (which they broke during the battery replacement) they have showed up with the wrong part 3 times (1 was for the Y, 2 were not painted) and re-schedule it 3 other times because they noticed they didn't have the part beforehand.

I checked out the Rivian at the Sonoma event last week. All in all I was pretty impressed. Great features and a good looking truck. My one concern is the size. For me it's just a tad to small. I'm not tall, ( 6') but felt a little cramped in the back and front seats, along with ingress and egress position ( had to crotch a little getting in).
The Ocean coast interior is gorgeous, except for that whitewashed wood trim on the dash. It's just a little to much.

Now that I've seen it, I'll probably be waiting for the CT. More range, more room, supercharging network.
Also, the UI was decent, but I can't imagine the new Tesla UI being 2x better.

Reactions: TessP100D
I checked out the Rivian at the Sonoma event last week. All in all I was pretty impressed. Great features and a good looking truck. My one concern is the size. For me it's just a tad to small. I'm not tall, ( 6') but felt a little cramped in the back and front seats, along with ingress and egress position ( had to crotch a little getting in).
The Ocean coast interior is gorgeous, except for that whitewashed wood trim on the dash. It's just a little to much.

Now that I've seen it, I'll probably be waiting for the CT. More range, more room, supercharging network.
Also, the UI was decent, but I can't imagine the new Tesla UI being 2x better.
These are all the reasons I want the R1T, will fit in my garage, will not be doing long trips so lack of superchargers is not an issue. It will be used for hauling lumber and dump runs.

Ford on looks, Tesla on literally everything else. Ford's dealer network is a hindrance, if anything. Terrible markups. ...and I've traditional dealer service experiences have been awful. I had to get my M3 mileage checked so I went to a legacy dealership. Literally 5 people sitting around at desks, and it still took them about 25 minute to acknowledge and help me. Once I told them why I was there, it took another hour just to get to the car and look at the mileage. Another 15 minutes to get me a receipt for my service. Almost 2 hours wasted. I'd rather make an appointment for a week later and not have my time wasted.

Reactions: WhiteWi