Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone switching to a Rivian R1T after watching reviews?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ford on looks, Tesla on literally everything else. Ford's dealer network is a hindrance, if anything. Terrible markups. ...and I've traditional dealer service experiences have been awful. I had to get my M3 mileage checked so I went to a legacy dealership. Literally 5 people sitting around at desks, and it still took them about 25 minute to acknowledge and help me. Once I told them why I was there, it took another hour just to get to the car and look at the mileage. Another 15 minutes to get me a receipt for my service. Almost 2 hours wasted. I'd rather make an appointment for a week later and not have my time wasted.
List of Tesla CT bad ideas.

looks
door handles
dash
minimalism
wipers
joke yoke
stock controls
bumpers
fender flares
sails

Of the three (CT, Lightening, RT1), I'm most likely to go with the Lightening. I canceled my CT reservation. I never liked the design. Reminds me of a car my 6 year old son drew that hung on our refrigerator forever -- it was basically a triangle with wheels. The RT1 is appealing but a little too Inspector Gadgety for me, all kinds of hidden spaces and devices that will break and rattle over time. Plus that cartoonish front grille - goofy.

That leaves the Lightening. I hate dealing with OEM Stealerships as much as the next guy and Farley has acknowledged that Tesla's direct-to-consumer model and fixed pricing is an advantage, so maybe Ford will change that.

I just went to the Rivian event in Sonoma the other day and I’m very impressed with the look and build quality of the R1T. It is much better looking than the pictures and the front grill and lights look much better when you are up close. The fit and finish is very good and the interior, seats and dash are done really well. I was not sure I would keep my reservation but after seeing it and talking with the staff I’m sold.

I just went to the Rivian event in Sonoma the other day and I’m very impressed with the look and build quality of the R1T. It is much better looking than the pictures and the front grill and lights look much better when you are up close. The fit and finish is very good and the interior, seats and dash are done really well. I was not sure I would keep my reservation but after seeing it and talking with the staff I’m sold.
Thanks for the update

This thread is a pretty good illustration of variety in tastes. I like the CT design, and think it's really cool (maybe I played too much Halo back in the days). The F150 doesn't do it for me, too bland. I've seen the R1T and I like the design. My wife on the other hand isn't sold on the CT, so R1S it is (though that'll be some years out.

Reactions: TessP100D
While I like Tesla design - really love my Model 3 - the Tesla CT leaves me scratching my head. To me, It looks ugly and impractical, and also like it will have cost way more to develop than it ought to have done. More like a vanity project based on childish impulses than a serious EV initiative. Also, I would not buy a vehicle with a yoke. Elon Musk is a talented guy and has done a lot to make EVs a practical reality (although there are other great people who are, or have been, at Tesla who also deserve a lot of credit). I think that the current set-up at Tesla leaves Musk without a lot of other voices as counsel to help steer some of his ideas.

While I like Tesla design - really love my Model 3 - the Tesla CT leaves me scratching my head. To me, It looks ugly and impractical, and also like it will have cost way more to develop than it ought to have done. More like a vanity project based on childish impulses than a serious EV initiative. Also, I would not buy a vehicle with a yoke. Elon Musk is a talented guy and has done a lot to make EVs a practical reality (although there are other great people who are, or have been, at Tesla who also deserve a lot of credit). I think that the current set-up at Tesla leaves Musk without a lot of other voices as counsel to help steer some of his ideas.
To me the CT is a marketing tool to get some attention, I want a truck that I can use to haul lumber and do dump runs. Plus beside not being practical it is ugly, but you know the saying opinions are like ———- everyone has one.

Personally I view the CT as being very practical while looking crazy impractical. It is obviously polarizing as can be seen on forums like this. No need to try to change this beast. Either jump on the CT train or purchase another Tesla or EV truck/SUV coming to market in the near term. CT won't work or be desirable to everyone but for those that want it, this thing is going to be a blast. Nothing else like it.

Rivian is going to be great. I had a R1S pass by me at pebble beach earlier this year, and it looked amazing. The future is bright for new names and designs. Plenty of options so no need to get up in arms about the design of one car.

This could be an option if it ever does get built

Atlis CEO Mark Hanchett thinks big. When he set his mind on building the Atlis XT electric pickup truck, he wanted to solve the biggest problem first—namely getting 500 miles' worth of electric charge into the truck at about the speed a diesel pump could do the job in a conventional vehicle. We got him on the phone to answer a few questions about how all this will work in advance of a November 11 virtual unveiling event for the Atlis XT truck.

Fast Charge, Every Charge: 1.5 MW At 1,600V​

One key to cramming a lot of electrons into a battery quickly is managing thermal loads, and the flow rate of the current is key to that. The higher the voltage, the lower the current at any given power delivery rate. So while the state of the recharging art tight now is 400- or 800-volt DC current, the Atlis pack envisions 1,600-volt charging. Its battery will function at 1,600 volts, but in order to guarantee backward compatibility with SAE CCS chargers, the pack can virtually "subdivide" itself into 800 or 400-volt components. And while today's standard is going from zero to 80 percent charge in around 20 minutes, Hanchett claims his truck will deliver zero to 100 percent (500 miles with the largest of three available battery packs) in 15 minutes. There is some percentage of battery capacity at the bottom and top of the cell that does not get used, but that also isn't factored into the range figures.

Atlis XT Electric Pickup Truck 26

SEE ALL 45 PHOTOS
The magic is not in the form factor or chemistry per se, according to Hanchette, but rather in the thermal management. The cells are heated at the beginning of the charge and cooled toward the end in order to prevent "dendrites" from growing and shorting the cell, and temperature is maintained extremely uniformly across the cell during the process using silicon-based cooling liquid. The "Z-fold" mechanical design of the cells, anodes, and cathodes also contributes to the fast charging capability of these prismatic "tab-less" batteries.

SPONSORED CONTENT
The Best Winter Tires, According to Tire Rack Customer Reviews
By Tire Rack

Atlis expects its users to primarily charge at 1,600 volts, with few customers working from a model of centralized overnight charging at a lower rate. The batteries are expected to survive 2,000 fast-charge cycles. And Atlis plans to roll out its own ultra-high-speed charging infrastructure.

Three Range Options: 300, 400, And 500 Miles​

While some reports have suggested available battery-pack sizes of 125 and 250 kWh, "Atlis Motor Vehicles chooses not to disclose the actual capacity of the battery packs in units of Ah or kWh at this time." What we do know is that the batteries will package between the truck's robust frame rails.
Atlis XP Electric Vehicle Platform 1

SEE ALL 45 PHOTOS
Most Atlis XT trucks will feature two axles, for a 20,000-pound gross vehicle weight rating. Tandem rear axles easily scale that to 30,000 pounds and six-wheel drive. The axles are also envisioned to feature fully independent suspension and to be identical front and rear. That means all-wheel steering is easily achieved, and for the moment Hanchett envisions allowing up to 32 degrees of rear-wheel steering to seriously shrink the XT's turning circle. (That number will be less impressive with the dual rear-wheel option. Yes the Atlis is planned as a dually, too.)

Design For Repairability—20 Minute Powertrain Swap​

Maximizing "up time" is of paramount concern for the types of contractors and industrial customers Atlis is targeting with the XT, so by designing everything to be "plug and play," Hanchett claims that it will be possible to swap out a problematic electric motor and gear-reduction unit in around 20 minutes. Ditto other subassemblies like suspension corners.
Atlis XT Electric Pickup Truck 8

SEE ALL 45 PHOTOS

Conventional Pickup Sizing/Pricing​

Expect a range of wheelbases from 144 to 176 inches and most other general dimensions to mostly mirror that of the conventional 3/4- and 1-ton pickups, with pricing also lining up with them. Hanchett targets $45,000 to start for a short-wheelbase 300-mile XT truck good for 10,000 pounds of towing. The 500-mile 35,000-pound gooseneck/fifth-wheel-prepped model should start around $85,000.
Expect to see new videos of the Atlis XT rolling buck appear during the next few weeks. In the first quarter of 2021 we're promised more specific details on the XT in support of customer deliveries, which are expected at the end of the year. That's because, as Mark Hanchett quipped at the end of our interview, "I don't operate at the speed of industry, I operate at the speed of light." Atlis is not taking preorders per se, but rather encourages investment in the company.

Attachments

• 1637364607872.png
    1637364607872.png
    5.1 KB · Views: 49
Voltage at the pack level doesn't change charging limits at the cell level. The only thing that a higher voltage pack (i.e. more cells assembled in series) does is lower the current flowing through the charger. I just don't see how it speeds up the individual cell charging speed, which is dependent on the thermal management and cell chemistry. Each cell is still charging at 4V or so. Maybe I'm missing something.

This could be an option if it ever does get built

Atlis CEO Mark Hanchett thinks big. When he set his mind on building the Atlis XT electric pickup truck, he wanted to solve the biggest problem first—namely getting 500 miles' worth of electric charge into the truck at about the speed a diesel pump could do the job in a conventional vehicle. We got him on the phone to answer a few questions about how all this will work in advance of a November 11 virtual unveiling event for the Atlis XT truck.

Fast Charge, Every Charge: 1.5 MW At 1,600V​

One key to cramming a lot of electrons into a battery quickly is managing thermal loads, and the flow rate of the current is key to that. The higher the voltage, the lower the current at any given power delivery rate. So while the state of the recharging art tight now is 400- or 800-volt DC current, the Atlis pack envisions 1,600-volt charging. Its battery will function at 1,600 volts, but in order to guarantee backward compatibility with SAE CCS chargers, the pack can virtually "subdivide" itself into 800 or 400-volt components. And while today's standard is going from zero to 80 percent charge in around 20 minutes, Hanchett claims his truck will deliver zero to 100 percent (500 miles with the largest of three available battery packs) in 15 minutes. There is some percentage of battery capacity at the bottom and top of the cell that does not get used, but that also isn't factored into the range figures.

SEE ALL 45 PHOTOS
The magic is not in the form factor or chemistry per se, according to Hanchette, but rather in the thermal management. The cells are heated at the beginning of the charge and cooled toward the end in order to prevent "dendrites" from growing and shorting the cell, and temperature is maintained extremely uniformly across the cell during the process using silicon-based cooling liquid. The "Z-fold" mechanical design of the cells, anodes, and cathodes also contributes to the fast charging capability of these prismatic "tab-less" batteries.

SPONSORED CONTENT
The Best Winter Tires, According to Tire Rack Customer Reviews
By Tire Rack

Atlis expects its users to primarily charge at 1,600 volts, with few customers working from a model of centralized overnight charging at a lower rate. The batteries are expected to survive 2,000 fast-charge cycles. And Atlis plans to roll out its own ultra-high-speed charging infrastructure.

Three Range Options: 300, 400, And 500 Miles​

While some reports have suggested available battery-pack sizes of 125 and 250 kWh, "Atlis Motor Vehicles chooses not to disclose the actual capacity of the battery packs in units of Ah or kWh at this time." What we do know is that the batteries will package between the truck's robust frame rails.

SEE ALL 45 PHOTOS
Most Atlis XT trucks will feature two axles, for a 20,000-pound gross vehicle weight rating. Tandem rear axles easily scale that to 30,000 pounds and six-wheel drive. The axles are also envisioned to feature fully independent suspension and to be identical front and rear. That means all-wheel steering is easily achieved, and for the moment Hanchett envisions allowing up to 32 degrees of rear-wheel steering to seriously shrink the XT's turning circle. (That number will be less impressive with the dual rear-wheel option. Yes the Atlis is planned as a dually, too.)

Design For Repairability—20 Minute Powertrain Swap​

Maximizing "up time" is of paramount concern for the types of contractors and industrial customers Atlis is targeting with the XT, so by designing everything to be "plug and play," Hanchett claims that it will be possible to swap out a problematic electric motor and gear-reduction unit in around 20 minutes. Ditto other subassemblies like suspension corners.

SEE ALL 45 PHOTOS

Conventional Pickup Sizing/Pricing​

Expect a range of wheelbases from 144 to 176 inches and most other general dimensions to mostly mirror that of the conventional 3/4- and 1-ton pickups, with pricing also lining up with them. Hanchett targets $45,000 to start for a short-wheelbase 300-mile XT truck good for 10,000 pounds of towing. The 500-mile 35,000-pound gooseneck/fifth-wheel-prepped model should start around $85,000.
Expect to see new videos of the Atlis XT rolling buck appear during the next few weeks. In the first quarter of 2021 we're promised more specific details on the XT in support of customer deliveries, which are expected at the end of the year. That's because, as Mark Hanchett quipped at the end of our interview, "I don't operate at the speed of industry, I operate at the speed of light." Atlis is not taking preorders per se, but rather encourages investment in the company.

Good thing about them, despite that last sentence, I’d that reservations are free. I have two or three just in case…

It’s all started with the stupid yoke. Elon is losing it. It’s plain to see

Yes of course it will. Just one of the many things wrong with the design.
STOP THE YOKE.
I've not driven a vehicle with a yoke, but it just seems like an incredibly stupid gimmick. Reducing 720 (or whatever) degrees of twist lock to lock into only 180 (I'm guessing without arms crossing)... you'll lose precision or predictability. If it's more than 180 degrees.... Every driving test in every state I've lived say the best way to exit a turn is to let the wheel slide through your fingers. There's a reason for that, and a yoke removes that safety/convenience.

All I know is that I love driving with just one hand on 12 or 6 o'clock. A yoke is a dealbreaker for me.