Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone switching to a Rivian R1T after watching reviews?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Taking into account reduced winter ranges for EVs, for those of us who live in the north, and also reduced ranges for towing (for those who tow), and also taking in to account limited Superchargers in some parts of North America and also the tendency for battery capacity to degrade over time (although I have not found this to be too much of an issue yet myself), but also taking into account, on the other hand, the weight, expense and sheer waste of having too large a battery, I think that the eventual sweet spot for nominal initial battery range capacity for EVs would be about 400 miles (about 650 km). Tesla is not far off from that today, with the current iteration of the Model S being especially close.

Truth be told, even my mid-2020 Model 3 (built before the small bump in Model 3 range that year) has not posed much of an issue for us in the practicality of its range. Ideally, for some winter trips, I would like about 60-80 more miles (90-125 more km) of nominal range to avoid inconvenient stops - and I would like a few gaps in the Supercharger network filled in. But overall, it has been fine. I had more range anxiety before we bought the Tesla - in actual, day-to-day life, it is not much of an issue.

Taking into account reduced winter ranges for EVs, for those of us who live in the north, and also reduced ranges for towing (for those who tow), and also taking in to account limited Superchargers in some parts of North America and also the tendency for battery capacity to degrade over time (although I have not found this to be too much of an issue yet myself), but also taking into account, on the other hand, the weight, expense and sheer waste of having too large a battery, I think that the eventual sweet spot for nominal initial battery range capacity for EVs would be about 400 miles (about 650 km). Tesla is not far off from that today, with the current iteration of the Model S being especially close.

Truth be told, even my mid-2020 Model 3 (built before the small bump in Model 3 range that year) has not posed much of an issue for us in the practicality of its range. Ideally, for some winter trips, I would like about 60-80 more miles (90-125 more km) of nominal range to avoid inconvenient stops - and I would like a few gaps in the Supercharger network filled in. But overall, it has been fine. I had more range anxiety before we bought the Tesla - in actual, day-to-day life, it is not much of an issue.
100% agree. for 98% of my driving zero range anxiety... for road trips up into the Arkansas mountains or West Texas or into Colorado ... around 30-50 actual miles of additional range would be nice. The current gen Model 3 AWD with 358 miles EPA would be that vehicle for me.

I think the key word is "require"
1. There are more passengers of influence than just the driver (me). It's not gonna happen if my wife gets to the point of "we have to stop AGAIN? for HOW LONG?" on a 1000 mile trip. Once, maybe a second for a short boost, is vital to normalize this.

2. Vacationing in the sparse West will require serious range to avoid subjecting plans to the tyranny of charging. Not every campground has electricity (at least at CT-filling levels), not every area has a supercharger. Strictly speaking, a 350 mile battery might be theoretically usable, but comes a point where sitting at chargers unduly interferes with a normal vacation.

3. Battery depletion is a brick-wall: you hit it, you stop. There aren't enough chargers around to make charging trivial; workable, if not easy, but not trivial.

4. Range does suffer significantly under some circumstances: rise, load, wind, temp, etc. 350 can easily drop to half that; you'll really want the 500+ battery then.

Reactions: TessP100D
Get one of these installed and range anxiety be gone!!! I hope these folks are successful.

Totally cool. 750 miles is probably more than almost anyone actually needs in a vehicle, although there may be a few who could take advantage of it from a cost/benefit point of view. As I posted in this thread above, I thick that 400 miles will be a 'sweet spot' for standard EV range in the future and 500-600 miles miles would be be good for future 'extended range' EVs. Maybe there would be a place, however, for super-extended range options- presumably to be sold at super prices! I do wonder about the projected cost of the Next Energy approach for anticipated future production models. If the EV revolution is really going to happen, battery costs are going to have to decline compared to current offerings, not increase.

I love the look of the rivian. Just waiting on a few more reviews and some time to make sure they've got the bugs worked out. Tesla I think is doing fine with the cars but they haven't even figured out hwo to do the manufacturing of the CT yet. I'm not a fan of buying new experimental things.
If you order a Rivian today, you can expect to take delivery in 2024. Bugs should be worked out by then.

Get one of these installed and range anxiety be gone!!! I hope these folks are successful.

Impressive tech, but keep in mind the Model S is one of the most aerodynamic and efficient EV's on the planet. We also don't know the speeds, terrain and temps experienced during the test.

As with essentially all "miracle battery breakthrough technology", this one is happy to focus on one single parameter. In addition to
We also don't know the speeds, terrain and temps experienced during the test.
, it doesn't mention cycle life, weight, charging speeds, discharge power, temperature tolerance, or many other critical parameters including probably the biggest one: cycle life.
Tesla has said that they'll test any battery someone gives them samples of. If it truly is good, it will probably show up in Teslas eventually. Otherwise, it will just go in the archive with all of the other "miracle battery breakthrough technologies" that have been suckering investors for decades.

Reactions: NY_Rob
Being in SoCal, I see a number of RT1s.

I would get one if not for the much higher cost... but looks like Lightnings are getting marked up that high anyways. :)

I'm thinking about just getting into an ICE full-sized truck now since I don't think I will see any volume production for 3 years... it's just so hard to go back to ICE.

Reactions: TessP100D and KJD
As with essentially all "miracle battery breakthrough technology", this one is happy to focus on one single parameter. In addition to

, it doesn't mention cycle life, weight, charging speeds, discharge power, temperature tolerance, or many other critical parameters including probably the biggest one: cycle life.
Tesla has said that they'll test any battery someone gives them samples of. If it truly is good, it will probably show up in Teslas eventually. Otherwise, it will just go in the archive with all of the other "miracle battery breakthrough technologies" that have been suckering investors for decades.
Another crucial parameter is actual projected production cost. It could be an outstanding battery on all of those other parameters, but if the required materials and production process would make it extremely expensive, even taking into account future potential economies of scale, then it still would have very limited practical usefulness in ordinary production vehicles.

Reactions: Earl
Being in SoCal, I see a number of RT1s.

I would get one if not for the much higher cost... but looks like Lightnings are getting marked up that high anyways. :)

I'm thinking about just getting into an ICE full-sized truck now since I don't think I will see any volume production for 3 years... it's just so hard to go back to ICE.
the R1T starts at $73k with 314 miles EPA rated and pretty decked out. That is *LESS* than the F150 Lightning msrp for the comparable EPA range version. And let's not pretend that the Cybertruck for the first year+ will be offered in a version for under $70k.

the R1T starts at $73k with 314 miles EPA rated and pretty decked out. That is *LESS* than the F150 Lightning msrp for the comparable EPA range version. And let's not pretend that the Cybertruck for the first year+ will be offered in a version for under $70k.
True... and unlike the CT, unless some bills get passed... there still is the $7500 credit.

But the R1T interior is smaller than the CT and either the Lightning or the Silverado EV. CT is actually my preference with the 3-across front row seating because it's nice to seat 6 short of having a 3rd row.

Reactions: texas_star_TM3
True... and unlike the CT, unless some bills get passed... there still is the $7500 credit.

But the R1T interior is smaller than the CT and either the Lightning or the Silverado EV. CT is actually my preference with the 3-across front row seating because it's nice to seat 6 short of having a 3rd row.
I agree. The CT should seat 5 on a daily basis with plenty of room, and six in a pinch.

The biggest deal for me is not the actual range of the battery right now, it is more about how I could actually use most superchargers out there with a trailer in tow. I'd say nearly all of them are just standard parking spots. Unless you find the right parking lot where you can pull in sort of like an "L", you will be having to unhook your trailer to use most of the supercharger locations I've seen.

The purpose of the post wasn't for someone to literally go out and buy one of those but just to share an article on how there are other people trying to make breakthroughs in battery tech. It's obviously a very early prototype but exciting to read about the results.

Reactions: KJD