Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone switching to a Rivian R1T after watching reviews?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am wondering how well Rivian masters the BMS. I see two issues, which seem related. The charging curve seems sub par and would be a problem on roadtrips. The regen also seems lacking. TFL towing test showed negligible regen despite towing 8000# down a long slope.

I hope that they sort this out quickly.

Reactions: nativewolf
I am wondering how well Rivian masters the BMS. I see two issues, which seem related. The charging curve seems sub par and would be a problem on roadtrips. The regen also seems lacking. TFL towing test showed negligible regen despite towing 8000# down a long slope.

I hope that they sort this out quickly.
Regen is way over rated when we’re talking about adding range back into the battery pack

Reactions: coleAK
range will always *suck* towing 8k lbs with an EV ... particularly when it's something boxy and sitting high as that Ford truck on the flatbed. If you regularly tow 8k+ lbs for more than 100 miles each way - you are likely best served getting a diesel truck and a HD frame.

good news: *most* mid-size/ full-size truck owners never or very rarely tow. and towing a bass fishing boat plus trailer (maybe 2,400lbs tops) to the lake 1hr away is doable with an EV truck.

Reactions: nativewolf
the more frequently you have to refuel - the more emphasis on refueling speed. 5min vs. 40min...
This is true, however, there is a point of diminishing returns. Keep in mind that, with the EV, you plug in, then go do your biological business (eat, bathroom, etc). With gas, you stand there like an idiot, waiting to finish filling, then go about the rest.
Is the necessary time 5 minutes or the time it takes for the rest which, generally tends to be 20 to 45 minutes? V3 Superchargers are getting close to that now.
Also, of course, keep in mind the buffers. Few have the intestinal fortitude to go down to zero SoC before refilling and the charging taper means you generally want to get on the road at about 80% SoC so the total effective road-trip range tends to be about 60 - 70% of the full range.

As I mentioned on the Rivian forum:
..keep in mind 1 gal of gas = 33.7kWh. So the R1T's 135kWh battery is only equivalent to 4 gallons of gasoline.
Put 4 gal of gas in your favorite V8 pickup truck (which still has way less hp/torque than the R1T) an see how far you make it towing 8.5K lbs uphill at 60mph in the winter.
Another way to look at it is the battery weighs ~1400 lbs but 4 gal of gas weighs ~24 lbs. how far would the Rivian go on 24 lbs of battery?

Batteries need to get much more energy dense before towing large loads long range will be much of an option.

Also I carry an extra 20 gallons of fuel when we fall hunt above the Arctic circle. Carrying extra battery is a long time from being realistic.

I’m all in for EVs but I think it will be a wile before towing a camper will be easy.

That camouflaged Atlis truck is too tall to tow a 5th wheel. Instead of removeable rear seat I would prefer the bottom of the seat either fold up or fold forward to load items you don't want on the seat. I hope all of these electric truck makers think about designing the screens and the steering touch controls to be used with winter and work gloves on.