Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone switching to a Rivian R1T after watching reviews?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You have no clue what Tesla will likely do. Let’s see how many 100k Chevy or Hammers will be sold.
the $100k+ Hummer and first edition Silverado aren't the competition for Tesla at the moment. The F150 Lightning and Rivian are... Both offer ~300 miles of range for $70k+. As comparison - a mundane and much smaller Model Y (compact SUV) already costs nearly $60k. So let's stop pretending that Tesla will sell you an uber capable truck for the same amount of $ while undercutting the competition

the $100k+ Hummer and first edition Silverado aren't the competition for Tesla at the moment. The F150 Lightning and Rivian are... Both offer ~300 miles of range for $70k+. As comparison - a mundane and much smaller Model Y (compact SUV) already costs nearly $60k. So let's stop pretending that Tesla will sell you an uber capable truck for the same amount of $ while undercutting the competition
Let me know when mentioned above companies can scale their production.

After doing some soul searching and pearl clutching (lol), I broke down last weekend and reserved a Rivian R1T adventure and Chevrolet Silverado EV. Could not reserve the Ford lightening since the reservations are closed. I figure I will hedge my bets for now with hope that the CT will go into production at the end of 2022 with deliveries of the quad motors in 2023. The CT is still the first choice but until I see the configurator open up for the CT it is a vaporware fantasy. Additionally, where I am at in the reservation queue for both the Rivian and Chevy I am looking at a potential delivery in 2023/2024 so the CT will be in the mix at the top of my list.

I broke down last weekend and reserved a Rivian R1T adventure and Chevrolet Silverado EV.
I got into the queue for the R1T about a week after they opened up reservations but I needed the Max Pack so I knew up front that my R1T might be available about the same time as my CT. I’ve been spending some time on Chevy’s website reading about the Silverado EV which looks good but I have a hard time thinking about working with a car dealer — too many bad experiences. So I’m sitting tight with just 2 reservations.

Reactions: tren01t
I got into the queue for the R1T about a week after they opened up reservations but I needed the Max Pack so I knew up front that my R1T might be available about the same time as my CT. I’ve been spending some time on Chevy’s website reading about the Silverado EV which looks good but I have a hard time thinking about working with a car dealer — too many bad experiences. So I’m sitting tight with just 2 reservations.
I hear you on that one regarding the Dealerships or should I say Stealerships lol. I figure with the chevy, the first edition RST will be available after the WT next year. I am not buying a 105K chevy RST first edition and any ridiculous markups on the regular RST that I have reserved will get not a no but a hell no to the no no. According to one of the Siverado EV forums, GM may put the gaffle on dealerships that engage in that practice. In the end, we shall see.

Reactions: rhumbliner
At this point, it really just depends on which one gets to my reservation number first. A lot of my initial excitement about the CT has been dampened by the possibility of the yoke-only option and the lack of door handles (which I judge based on the poor performance of my X's auto open feature). I still like the overall look of the CT better, but above all I just want an electric pick up from a dedicated EV manufacturer.

no door handles and yoke only (without drive by wire and variable steer ratios) plus that bizarre windshield wiper (how well does it work in freezing conditions or pouring rain with one large arm and likely limited wipe speed?) makes the CT less than appealing for truck users...

Reactions: coleAK
I have the most Texas-made truck ever made, the Tundra, and I'm not scared of the wiper, or the doors working, because I also have an X and have learned I can tolerate both of them barely working properly due to glaring design flaws

Speaking of glaring design flaws, I do think cybertruck will fix one of them and that's aero. There's really no reason trucks need to look the way they do other than we've always built them (cheaply) this way. The Avalanche was a great truck (and will be great again as the Silverado EV). I think Cybertruck is going to be a pretty killer highway car, if they make a range-optimized version without the mud tires and such anyway.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: KJD
R1T "they're too expensive"
According to the information provided to Tom, the Rivian R1T sees a ~17% price increase, effective immediately. The base price, which was previously at $67,500, now comes in around $78,975, at least temporarily. Moreover, the cost of some options, upgrades, and accessories increased as well.

but then so is Ford, with the larger battery pack....According to Ford's configurator, that 70-mile range cushion will cost F-150 Lighting XLT buyers a pretty penny. Starting at $54,669 with the standard battery, opting for the Extended Range Battery adds $19,500—roughly the cost of an entire Ford Maverick—to the F-150 Lightning XLT's base price.Jan 4, 2022

Last edited:
Reactions: WhiteWi