Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone switching to a Rivian R1T after watching reviews?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
[a] I suspect CCS1 charging is in trouble. I suspect the potential for federal funding has delayed projects.

Anyone familiar with Ford blue oval charging? Is this just another worthless charging setup at Ford dealers?

Your two comments are confusing.

[a] All non-Tesla cars including the Rivian use CCS1. You make it sound like Rivian is doing something different than CCS1. (and yes, I ignored Chademo).
Ford blue oval charging -- it is a program or umbrella sitting on top of other peoples charging networks. Ford does not have their own AFAIK.
BlueOval Charge Network Infrastructure Providers
Here are some of the charging providers keeping you moving:
Greenlots / Electrify America / EV Connect / ChargePoint / SemaCharge / FLO / EVgo

When I googled it before I found a couple articles saying it was part of ChargePoint America. As best as I can tell it is just partnerships with the existing charge networks. I welcome any factual corrections. :)
Here is from the post above where I point to the actual Ford site:

Ford blue oval charging -- it is a program or umbrella sitting on top of other peoples charging networks. Ford does not have their own AFAIK.

https://www.ford.com/support/how-to...lueoval-charge-network-for-electric-vehicles/

BlueOval Charge Network Infrastructure Providers
Here are some of the charging providers keeping you moving:
Greenlots / Electrify America / EV Connect / ChargePoint / SemaCharge / FLO / EVgo

Your two comments are confusing.

[a] All non-Tesla cars including the Rivian use CCS1. You make it sound like Rivian is doing something different than CCS1. (and yes, I ignored Chademo).

Yes, I finally figured that out. Silly of me to hope that Ford would facilitate building additional chargers. At least Rivian is still claiming to build 600 proprietary DCFC by the end of next year.

Reactions: scottf200
Sorry if this was already posted.

I really don’t have much interest in Rivian but I was surprised by quite a few things in this Video.

Namely 7200 lbs and 480 wh/mi. You kidding me. That’s approx $0.15 / mile (at $0.30 KWh). That’s not including charging losses. If you take an ICE at 25 mpg at $4.00 gallon that’s about $0.15 / mile.

Also how cheaply many parts are. And we thought Tesla cut corners.

• Funny
Namely 7200 lbs and 480 wh/mi. You kidding me. That’s approx $0.15 / mile (at $0.30 KWh). That’s not including charging losses. If you take an ICE at 25 mpg at $4.00 gallon that’s about $0.15 / mile.

Also how cheaply many parts are. And we thought Tesla cut corners.
I wouldn't use one example from a questionable entertainment YT channel. There have been a variety of good YT videos on the Rivian efficiency and build from knowledgable folks (out of spec (Kyle), Munro, and many many others).

Not to mention is crazy off-road capabilities. It is a 'truck' after all. Truck buyers are 'Prius' buyers. <sarcasm> <grin>

I wouldn't use one example from a questionable entertainment YT channel. There have been a variety of good YT videos on the Rivian efficiency and build from knowledgable folks (out of spec (Kyle), Munro, and many many others).

Not to mention is crazy off-road capabilities. It is a 'truck' after all. Truck buyers are 'Prius' buyers. <sarcasm> <grin>
They bought the truck for themselves and overall like it. They plan to make money on sharing their Rivian experience. They don’t sugar cost it and comment on what they see.

It wasn’t biased. I’ve seen other videos biased towards them though.

They made some really good points. Good and bad.

There is no way of getting around it weighs 7200 freaken pounds. That’s probably an advantage in an accident with an average weight vehicle. You’ll crush the other car ;)

We’re they misrepresenting Rivian when they wanted to travel from Boston to Montreal and found ONE occupied 50kw stall to charge at? And will charge half as fast as Model 3 because of the massive battery. And that wasn’t even the largest battery.

Great off road vehicle that can’t make it past the local city park.

Last edited:
They bought the truck for themselves and overall like it.

It wasn’t biased. I’ve seen other videos biased towards them.

But they made some really good points. Good and bad.

There is no way of getting around it weighs 7200 freaken pounds. That’s probably an accident with an average weight vehicle. You’ll the other car ;)
You bought a $100K vehicle. Your cost per mile is very high

• Funny
You bought a $100K vehicle. Your cost per mile is very high
we are talking OPERATING cost.

Cost to own is something else. But I bet Teslas will hold their value better. For a good while. We don’t know yet on Rivian. But the Rivian in the Video was about $100K. Low range, slow charging if you can find it. But great if you can make it too the woods.

Curious to see whether any CT reservation holder is switching to a Rivian after seeing the initial reviews. I have to say that the Rivian looks really really good, though becomes quite expensive if opting for the max pack. I'm probably stick with the CT anyway, but I'm interested in getting others' impressions.

That being said, if I weren't a CT day 2 reservation holder, I'd probably order the Rivian. At least with the Rivian, it looks like one has a decent shot at getting it by the end of 2022 if ordering now. I'm guessing that CT current new orders won't be fulfilled for at least another 2 years.
I got to see one at an EV event yesterday but I wasn’t the only one that thought it was underwhelming. Great for a smaller truck maybe but I want a TRUCK. It had some nice features but I’ll hold out for the Cybertruck.

I got to see one at an EV event yesterday but I wasn’t the only one that thought it was underwhelming. Great for a smaller truck maybe but I want a TRUCK. It had some nice features but I’ll hold out for the Cybertruck.
I think maybe 80% of potential EV truck buyers will strongly prefer either Cybertruck or Rivian. For me I wouldn't want a full size pickup again.

For software and charging I would prefer to buy a Tesla truck. But I have never seriously considered CT. Rivian has major challenges ahead, but to me it seems that they chose to build exactly the right two vehicles.

And will charge half as fast as Model 3 because of the massive battery
Huh?
The battery size has nothing to do with the important aspect of charging speed unless it greatly affects the Wh/mile (which it doesn't for an EV). The important metric for charging speed is miles/hour (or km/hour). This is dominated by the aero drag which is more for boxier vehicles with larger frontal areas and is the main reason the Rivian charges slower than the more diminutive, and sleek Model 3.
Cost to own is something else. But I bet Teslas will hold their value better. For a good while. We don’t know yet on Rivian.
Trucks generally hold value much longer than cars because, even after they're beat up and rusty, they'll still haul goods for someone for which that is what they need. I'm quite sure that, given the low fuel and maintenance costs, all early pickups will retain a lot of value for a long time because they're being compared to gas guzzling ICE trucks, not other EVs.

• Helpful
The Tacoma 4 door 4x4 starts at 36,000 dollars. The base Rivian is over 70K. I want to see how the Rivian holds up over time. Longterm durability towing and work use. Say 5 years down the road.

You could make the same comparison of Toyotas lineup to the 3 and Y.

The R1T is not remotely the same class vehicle as the Tacoma. But certainly many buyers would consider the Tacoma a better value. Especially those people not shopping in the high five figures.

A better comparison to the R1T is the Raptor.

Reactions: texas_star_TM3