Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone switching to a Rivian R1T after watching reviews?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
1650839082968.png

" anyone switching to Rivian R1T"...no, because I will probably be dead by the time they are available to the general public.
Perspective: Looks like your TMC user id creation/start date is Sep 3, 2021 (sevenish months ago).

IMO, we all have really short memories in how long it took Tesla to get to where they are. We compare everything to how Tesla delivers cars *today*.

I literally waited 36 months for my Tesla Model X **and** Tesla had a bunch of experience in a Model S and Model 3 for goodness sakes.

In a short statement, the EV startup announced that total production for the quarter ending March 31, 2022, at its manufacturing facility in Normal, Illinois, amounted to 2,553 vehicles. During the same period, Rivian delivered 1,227 vehicles.
Obviously, Rivian is counting on production capacity to further increase. To achieve 25,000 units, the carmaker would need to make some 22,500 vehicles in the remaining three quarters of this year.

Reactions: Suns_PSD
Huh?
The battery size has nothing to do with the important aspect of charging speed unless it greatly affects the Wh/mile (which it doesn't for an EV). The important metric for charging speed is miles/hour (or km/hour). This is dominated by the aero drag which is more for boxier vehicles with larger frontal areas and is the main reason the Rivian charges slower than the more diminutive, and sleek Model 3.

Trucks generally hold value much longer than cars because, even after they're beat up and rusty, they'll still haul goods for someone for which that is what they need. I'm quite sure that, given the low fuel and maintenance costs, all early pickups will retain a lot of value for a long time because they're being compared to gas guzzling ICE trucks, not other EVs.
You can label it what ever you want. Because of the boxy aero dynamics and weight they had to put a huge battery to get decent range. It’s gonna take a LONG time to charge that battery. Especially where there are very few places that go above 50 kw. Sure the battery itself is not the cause. It’s just another symptom of a very inefficient vehicle that has very few places to charge at reasonable rate.

I take it you have one or have one on order.

You can label it what ever you want.
I find it best to understand and work with first principles. Otherwise, you'll get scheisters such as the GM marketing folks who claimed that a Volt was better than a Model S because it could be fully charged on Level 2 in 4 hours while a Model S takes 11 hours (or arguably 22 hours on the same 16 Amps that a Volt maxes out at). Also, compliance EV pushers used to disappoint buyers who bought their lines that "that shorter range batteries are better because they can be charged faster", leaving a few to realize that their cars really wouldn't meet their needs.

Especially where there are very few places that go above 50 kw.
This definitely is a problem faced by CCS vehicles that generally causes them to fast-charge slower than a Model 3, making them basically worthless (or at best, seriously limited) for long-distance travel. The Rivian, with much slower charging speeds (mph) will definitely be extremely limited for long-distance travel, especially if carrying a load or towing something. This is one reason I was happy to hear that they're at least considering installing their own fast chargers in key areas.
I take it you have one or have one on order.
Nope. I'm still watching what enfolds in electric trucks. We led with an EV1, early Roadster, early Leaf, and an early Model 3.
We pioneered and succeeded in establishing electrification of basic necessary transportation. Now, we are, with much appreciation, letting you newcomers take point moving electrification to the next tiers of vehicles such as EV trucks.
I am, however, still trying to keep the truth up front in order to ensure that we maintain forward momentum.

Reactions: KJD and scottf200
This definitely is a problem faced by CCS vehicles that generally causes them to fast-charge slower than a Model 3, making them basically worthless (or at best, seriously limited) for long-distance travel. The Rivian, with much slower charging speeds (mph) will definitely be extremely limited for long-distance travel, especially if carrying a load or towing something. This is one reason I was happy to hear that they're at least considering installing their own fast chargers in key areas.
I think we agree there. I think it will be really hard to pull off what Tesla has and really, it's just getting decent now with SuperCharger coverage in the Northeast. That took Tesla 10+ years to build. I kind of think the best way forward is for Tesla to open them up, for forward progress on EV's. But there are a lot of complications with that. Like the charge ports on many EV's are in front of the driver !! Tesla was smart keeping the cable short and putting the port at one corner of the vehicle. Not in the middle.

People will buy them, because they are trucks. But they are in for a rude awakening. As the Video I posted pointed out. Rivian could set public perception of EV's back if they don't solve this quickly.

Reactions: chinney
[...]It’s just another symptom of a very inefficient vehicle that has very few places to charge at reasonable rate.[...]

That is a basis problem with a lot of new non-Tesla EVs. With a few exceptions, I have been surprised just how far behind Tesla they are in efficiency. Pair that with the still sub-standard non-Tesla charging infrastructure, and you have a recipe for disappointment for long-distance travel. Though I am a Tesla fan, I actually am not happy with this situation, as it does not bode well for the wider EV transition.

Reactions: mswlogo
I kinda wondered if the tmc forums would be all over the Rivian fud train, and sad to see they are. A few things after 4500 miles in my R1T:

1) Fast charging worked fine and I drove from the factory in Normal, IL -> Ann Arbor, MI and back, then from Normal, IL -> Santa Monica, CA. The non-supercharger naysayers are, largely wrong or at least outdated in their thinking.

2) The efficiency is quite good. Buried in the numbers, but the coefficient of drag on the R1T bests the cybertruck by a fair bit.

3) Tesla famously overstates range, if you are talking about range at highway speeds, which is the exact place you tend to care about range. My R1T goes 300 miles at 75-80mph, which my Plaid cannot match. Charge times may be one or two minutes longer per stop, but are so close as to not matter. This thing road trips as well as the Plaid, and I've driven both _a lot_.

I'd love to stop hearing the same echo chamber-y statements about non Tesla EVs, which are a much bigger problem than any actual shortcomings of the alternative vehicles and infrastructure.

I am moving away from a small pick up truck to the Model Y when it comes. I know I will miss having a truck and thought the Rivian was pretty cool and was entertaining it, but knowing how Tesla has been progressing and innovating over the years we decided to pick Tesla over the Rivian.

I kinda wondered if the tmc forums would be all over the Rivian fud train, and sad to see they are. A few things after 4500 miles in my R1T:

1) Fast charging worked fine and I drove from the factory in Normal, IL -> Ann Arbor, MI and back, then from Normal, IL -> Santa Monica, CA. The non-supercharger naysayers are, largely wrong or at least outdated in their thinking.

2) The efficiency is quite good. Buried in the numbers, but the coefficient of drag on the R1T bests the cybertruck by a fair bit.

3) Tesla famously overstates range, if you are talking about range at highway speeds, which is the exact place you tend to care about range. My R1T goes 300 miles at 75-80mph, which my Plaid cannot match. Charge times may be one or two minutes longer per stop, but are so close as to not matter. This thing road trips as well as the Plaid, and I've driven both _a lot_.

I'd love to stop hearing the same echo chamber-y statements about non Tesla EVs, which are a much bigger problem than any actual shortcomings of the alternative vehicles and infrastructure.

Thanks for the feedback. Has the Cx been published for the CT or are you theorizing? I'm no aerodynamicist, but the CT looks pretty aerodynamic to me.

Re. range: are you on 21"? Kyle from Out of Specs got 290 miles on 20" AT tires at 70mph, though it was a little cold when he did the test. Either way, Rivian seems to have really solid range, which is pretty exciting.

I have a R1S on order, so pretty excited to see Rivian do well.

Reactions: Suns_PSD and rhuber
Rivian engineers state approx a .30 CoD

Elon says with extreme effort the cybertruck might hit that:
I have the 22" sport wheels, which seem to be a good bit more efficient that the all terrain setup. Nothing surprising about that, though. I had crazy 20+mph cross/head winds on approx 1500 of my 2000 mile long drive and still got surprisingly good efficiency for those conditions.

Reactions: Zorg
Rivian engineers state approx a .30 CoD

Elon says with extreme effort the cybertruck might hit that:
I have the 22" sport wheels, which seem to be a good bit more efficient that the all terrain setup. Nothing surprising about that, though. I had crazy 20+mph cross/head winds on approx 1500 of my 2000 mile long drive and still got surprisingly good efficiency for those conditions.
Sweet. Gotta say that hitting close to rated range at highway speeds is definitely a plus.

I am moving away from a small pick up truck to the Model Y when it comes. I know I will miss having a truck and thought the Rivian was pretty cool and was entertaining it, but knowing how Tesla has been progressing and innovating over the years we decided to pick Tesla over the Rivian.
I'm the opposite. Had a Chevy Colorado ZR2, sold it to buy a MYP, and now am waiting for the R1T to go back to a truck. I love the efficiency and the SC network, but the MYP is delicate and I find I'm hesitant to do the things that I was used to doing with the truck like driving dirt roads to get to a trailhead, driving deep snow, etc. Not to mention that I obviously can't pack as much in the back of the MYP and surely won't be picking up any lumber at Home Depot!

Reactions: scottf200 and remz3
I'm the opposite. Had a Chevy Colorado ZR2, sold it to buy a MYP, and now am waiting for the R1T to go back to a truck. I love the efficiency and the SC network, but the MYP is delicate and I find I'm hesitant to do the things that I was used to doing with the truck like driving dirt roads to get to a trailhead, driving deep snow, etc. Not to mention that I obviously can't pack as much in the back of the MYP and surely won't be picking up any lumber at Home Depot!
I know even though it was a small truck, those home Depot/Lowe's trips were handy. I guess I'll get some last trips for big items this summer. Who knows, maybe down the line may do the same thing.

Reactions: Montucky
I know even though it was a small truck, those home Depot/Lowe's trips were handy. I guess I'll get some last trips for big items this summer. Who knows, maybe down the line may do the same thing.
I think a small trailer would be awesome to pair with the Model Y for those Home Depot/Lowes runs. That's still in the back of my mind. I have a long time to wait for that R1T regardless, so the MYP will be it for the next year at least.

Reactions: remz3 and brkaus

As a Tesla and Rivian owner, do you regret not waiting for the Max Pack at all? Having to drive a Model X at 55 mph to make it to the next SC on cross country trips made me spring for the largest pack available on my R1T preorder, but now I'm not so sure if it's worth the wait.

As a Tesla and Rivian owner, do you regret not waiting for the Max Pack at all? Having to drive a Model X at 55 mph to make it to the next SC on cross country trips made me spring for the largest pack available on my R1T preorder, but now I'm not so sure if it's worth the wait.
TBH, I would 100% get the largest battery I could for reasons you mentioned and degradation down the road.
I see you have a Model X 90D which I originally did as well. When I went to the Model X 100 it was a much bigger deal than I thought it would be on my many road trips. The 100 is so so much nicer to have and enables reaching many SCs and even skipping some.

I think a small trailer would be awesome to pair with the Model Y for those Home Depot/Lowes runs. That's still in the back of my mind. I have a long time to wait for that R1T regardless, so the MYP will be it for the next year at least.
I’d like a hitch and a small trailer for my S & 3. I think it would meet 95% of my needs. That one trip a year I need a truck I can rent one for $19.95 from Home Depot.

Now I have 3 EVs and a ‘03 Dodge Ram 2500 diesel 4x4. The truck drives less than 100 miles a year.

Reactions: Montucky
Not even a little. I did a bit of a silly towing test with the rivian and am optimistic that it will be overall fine for the 1 or less times a year I need to tow cross country. For unencumbered driving the range is more than sufficient and charging above 65% is rarely needed.