Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone taken their MSP to a track day yet? Care to share?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just reposting a couple of vids from yesterday's track session at Sandia Motorsports Park. The acceleration out of corners is great, but the power limitation to 160kW when predicted miles reach 31 is a drag. Wish it could be disabled.

Great vids! Thanks for posting. You are hitting the apexes nicely. Those two first guys you overtook were all over the place. But perhaps they were just playing around. The 2 final laps on the first video has an almost identical laptime. Nicely done. I take my car to the track every year myself. I plan to keep doing that when I get my Tesla. But I may have to drag it on a trailer as not to waste precious juice getting there.

You guys who have been on the track, tell me. If you have a full charge of almost 300 miles - how many miles would you get if you drove hard on the track and almost emptied the battery? 100 miles? Less?

Thinking about taking my P85 to http://www.atcoraceway.com considering it is only about 2 miles from my house. They have open test & tune days a few times every week. I've never raced before, and I've only been there once to watch robbie knievel make a jump (of which he overshot , thrown forward off his bike, knocked unconscious, and broke several bones, lol). I have no idea what the requirements are, e.g. if I need a special helmet or jacket. I think they rent them if you don't own any. A quick google search on the net shows various results for requirements on forums. A lot of them were like roll bars are required under 13 LOL but they were from a few years ago. I think stock OEM cars may have an exception to rules like that.

Anywho, I'm really curious what I'll get for quarter mile times, considering I have a P85 w\ 19" wheels. I don't think anyone here has done the 1/4 w\ 19s yet, I think you all have 21s. It'll be interesting to see how close I am to 12.3.

Personally, I would only go to an event that requires a helmet. It indicates a certain level of professionalism and concern about safety. Very often helmet rentals are available.

Before you go on a track, it is typical to have at least some classroom time, and an instructor in the car.

Personally, I would only go to an event that requires a helmet. It indicates a certain level of professionalism and concern about safety. Very often helmet rentals are available.

Before you go on a track, it is typical to have at least some classroom time, and an instructor in the car.

lol like it's any different from me going 100 on the highway? It's just a drag strip, not a race course. Any Joe can drive up off the street and do a quarter mile with 0 experience for $15. It's the longest and oldest continuously running running drag strip on the East Coast (open since `60) and sanctioned by the NHRA. They also had 265 events last year which makes it one of the busiest tracks in the country. And its right around the corner from me :) Yes they rent helmets there too from what I've read.

The OLD Atco Speedway is actually about 100 yards from my house and I walk my dogs back there http://www.njrn.com/atcophotos.html I wouldn't take my car back there though, too much glass and who knows what other crap. Mostly 4 wheels go back there for fun. And Lots of beer bottles laying around.

I wonder if anyones topped this...
64297_10151592565839258_446693782_n.jpg

Here's part of a lap at atlanta motorsports park chasing down a quick c5
AMP model s chasing c5 - YouTube

Thinking about taking my P85 to http://www.atcoraceway.com considering it is only about 2 miles from my house. They have open test & tune days a few times every week. I've never raced before, and I've only been there once to watch robbie knievel make a jump (of which he overshot , thrown forward off his bike, knocked unconscious, and broke several bones, lol). I have no idea what the requirements are, e.g. if I need a special helmet or jacket. I think they rent them if you don't own any. A quick google search on the net shows various results for requirements on forums. A lot of them were like roll bars are required under 13 LOL but they were from a few years ago. I think stock OEM cars may have an exception to rules like that.

Anywho, I'm really curious what I'll get for quarter mile times, considering I have a P85 w\ 19" wheels. I don't think anyone here has done the 1/4 w\ 19s yet, I think you all have 21s. It'll be interesting to see how close I am to 12.3.

yobigd20 - Go to atco's website and read up on their rules. The nearest track to me requires that all cars faster than 14 secs require the drive to wear a helmet so atco may require the same. Most tracks just require the helment for sub 14 sec cars (nothing extravagant just DOT certified which you can tell from a sticker on the back of the helmet). You can buy one for less than $30. Other than that just roll up your windows before taking your run and don't miss the starting lights (it's a little embarassing :p).

As long as you aren't faster than 11 secs you won't need a cage and faster than 9 secs at a lot of tracks require a 'chute.

Again, these aren't universal rules but they are dictated track by track.

Also, most tracks have RV power service (50 AMP). I would call ahead and ask about renting an outlet for a few hours to keep the MS at full SOC as the going theory is that the car is fastest with a full SOC.

quarter mile :)

had to snap the picture at 135mph... once you let off the right petal the number drop quickly

..you made it past 133?

ah. I never looked at my # after doing > 1/2 mile at 132mph Sure it gets pretty high.
I had ~1800 Whr/ mi over a ~1/2 mile autocross course (64 seconds) so averaging close to 30 mph I guess.
I will drag on Saturday night. Maybe I'll reset my trip meter for a run or 2.

The model S doesn't have an autocross class yet apparently so It is 'Super stock' (I don't know much about auto racing stuff & electric is completely different than what everyone else deals with) so I think I might get some wider 19 or 20s and some sticky tires since I won't be in stock class anyway.

Well, went to the drag strip last night with my son-in-law and his Caddy CTS-V (556hp) wagon and he spanked me. My first run was my best. 12.5 for quarter mile. His best time was 12.2. He also had a K&N air cone on his intake that claims to give him an extra 25hp. My other runs were 12.6. 109mph for all of my runs. His best was 117 mph. I was my summer 21" wheels with Conti tires. Oddly I just cannot get my rear wheels to spin at all even with traction control off. Outside temp was 63 for first run and 58 for last run.

Great vids! Thanks for posting. You are hitting the apexes nicely. Those two first guys you overtook were all over the place. But perhaps they were just playing around. The 2 final laps on the first video has an almost identical laptime. Nicely done. I take my car to the track every year myself. I plan to keep doing that when I get my Tesla. But I may have to drag it on a trailer as not to waste precious juice getting there.

You guys who have been on the track, tell me. If you have a full charge of almost 300 miles - how many miles would you get if you drove hard on the track and almost emptied the battery? 100 miles? Less?

I think the amount of extra energy used on the track is exactly the same for the Tesla S P85 as it is for the Lamborghinis, Ferraris, and my Audi R8 V10, which gets 20 mpg on the highway and 4 mpg on the track. If you could defeat the "projected range < 30" power limiter, and keep driving 10/10ths, the track range would be about 60 miles. In the videos, I had done a range charge that morning, and started the track laps with over 220 rated miles. After only about 10 track miles, the projected range had dropped to 31, and power was limited to 160 kW. When that happens, you just have to drive very slowly around the pits to mathematically raise the projected range.

Well, went to the drag strip last night with my son-in-law and his Caddy CTS-V (556hp) wagon and he spanked me. My first run was my best. 12.5 for quarter mile. His best time was 12.2. He also had a K&N air cone on his intake that claims to give him an extra 25hp. My other runs were 12.6. 109mph for all of my runs. His best was 117 mph. I was my summer 21" wheels with Conti tires. Oddly I just cannot get my rear wheels to spin at all even with traction control off. Outside temp was 63 for first run and 58 for last run.

Ok, here is a scan of my first two runs. It might be a little hard to read.

Attachments

• Dragstrip April 2013.jpg
    Dragstrip April 2013.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 515
Last edited: