Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone taken their MSP to a track day yet? Care to share?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think the amount of extra energy used on the track is exactly the same for the Tesla S P85 as it is for the Lamborghinis, Ferraris, and my Audi R8 V10, which gets 20 mpg on the highway and 4 mpg on the track. If you could defeat the "projected range < 30" power limiter, and keep driving 10/10ths, the track range would be about 60 miles. In the videos, I had done a range charge that morning, and started the track laps with over 220 rated miles. After only about 10 track miles, the projected range had dropped to 31, and power was limited to 160 kW. When that happens, you just have to drive very slowly around the pits to mathematically raise the projected range.
Thx mate. Useful info. I guess the MS just isn't a car you take to the track for a full day.
One should have an M5 or S6 or something to pull the Tesla on a trailer to the track and then use that when the juice is gone on the MS :cool:

I wonder if anyones topped this...
View attachment 20236

Here's part of a lap at atlanta motorsports park chasing down a quick c5
AMP model s chasing c5 - YouTube

Love your video! Corvette driver must have been pissed to see a large, 7 passenger ELECTRIC sedan all over him like that! LOL!!! The only time he gapped you was in the long, tight, hard left turn near the end where the better grip of the vette was too much. Nice driving! I raced my 2012 911S with street tires against my friends GT3 with track tires. I did well until the main straight. Real lap starts around 3:50. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgQVFnCYGGU I don't know if I will track my P85+ After 3 days in the 911, I needed all new rotors and pads....

Fun today at Portland International Raceway's "ProDrive" track school. I started with a Range charge and arrived at PIR with about 255 miles range. We did three 15-minute sessions, had lunch (where I charged at 40A/240V outlet for 45 minutes), then we ran a 20 minute session and ended with about a 10 minute session (I had to quit 10 minutes early as my range was down to 20 miles).

What did I learn and observe? Lots!

(a) Both driving instructors were impressed with how stable and level the cornering was, and how impressive the brakes are for a 4700 pound car. You can follow a very fast line and feel in good control of the car even with the tires chirping and noticeable lateral G-forces.

(b) Top speed I observed was 114 MPH on the back straightaway. Fast for me and I was able to pass several other cars.

(c) After the first four laps the power limiter appeared and reduced acceleration by about 33% for a few laps then closer to 50%. Its interesting that the power limit does not necessarily affect top speed but rather acceleration. I had a few decent laps where I was pedal fully down, wishing for full power, but still enjoying over 95 MPH speeds. I even passed a slower driver twice while power limited!!

(d) You use a LOT of energy on the track (no surprise); typically I drive close to 300 kWh/mi but today averaged 1178, almost 4x. And this was with power limiting for 70% of the total track time! Help me understand the HUGE amount of energy that must be cooled when running full bore on a track. Actually this matches almost exactly the BMWs, Corvettes, Audi S6, etc. also there when they have gas milage which drops from 20'ish to 5'ish.

(e) during and after the class (20 drivers) I think 15 of them talked to me about the Model-S especially how surreal and quiet it was swooshing around the track. Four of them commented how surprised there were when I passed them. Everybody had big grins and enjoyed each other's cars, but the Tesla was quite a star.

(f) btw this is a standard (non-performance Model-S). I was left wondering how the MSP would do. I recently drove a MSP loaner and am familiar with the amazing acceleration, but since 70% of my driving was power limited, wonder if the MSP would basically act the same at that point?

Here are some pictures. Oh yes, it is pretty cool having the satellite map of the track on the display while racing, not that I even had time to glance at it! All in all, a *great* day!
_7160055.jpg

_7160191.jpg

_7170242.jpg

_7170243.jpg

Last edited:
@pilotSteve - Sounds like you had a blast. :)

It's interesting that you can get a rough guess at speeds by observing the suspension height. For example, the second picture is clearly at speeds above Autocross (< 45mph typically).

Yes that's probably right. Its immediately after a very tight turn just as we unwind steering
and begin accelerating for the long straight section. Times like this I'm looking at apex cones and braking cones, not speedo :)
@pilotSteve - Sounds like you had a blast. :)

It's interesting that you can get a rough guess at speeds by observing the suspension height. For example, the second picture is clearly at speeds above Autocross (< 45mph typically).

(c) After the first four laps the power limiter appeared and reduced acceleration by about 33% for a few laps then closer to 50%. Its interesting that the power limit does not necessarily affect top speed but rather acceleration. I had a few decent laps where I was pedal fully down, wishing for full power, but still enjoying over 95 MPH speeds. I even passed a slower driver twice while power limited!!

The MSP is more frustrating as it will begin to limit power after 1 lap. :(

This is at my local 3km road course.

Last edited:
I took my S85 to a Hooked on Driving event at Atlanta Motorsports Park a couple of weeks ago. It was a blast, and I think more people came over to look at it/take pictures/ask questions than a Lambo that was at the event. I only charged at 120V during the event so only ran 4 of the 5 sessions, but they are getting some 240V charging soon as a member has a plug-in Panamera. I passed a bunch of people, including 911s and Vettes and after the power limit started kicking in, and never was passed myself (though a 911 was gaining on me when power was cut to 140kW, and surely would have passed me if the session went on another lap). I think the power limit would be a bigger problem outside of short stints -- HPDE tends to have 20-25min sessions, so you get half way through the session before it starts cutting power.

I'm also thinking of going to Barber Motorsports Park in November, and they have 14-50 outlets available there (for an extra fee), that should let me run all day.

My full writeup, with links to photos and dashcam video, is at https://plus.google.com/posts/bo2eKCdcndL

@jat - I charged for 50 minutes on a 14-50 outlet during lunch and gained 20-30 rated miles (don't recall the exact amount) yet was power limited before the first after-lunch lap finished. It was warm (80°F) but not beastly hot. I would not count on "should let me run all day" as my experience was limiting occurred well before battery rated miles went below 80 miles or so.