Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone taken their Plaid on a track yet?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve had my Model S Plaid a few weeks now, and am thinking of taking it up to Thunderhill Raceway (near Willows, CA) for a track day this coming Saturday.

I have 30+ track days including on this track in my prior Porsche 997 Turbo, so I’m comfortable with track driving, but want to learn how the Plaid handles on the track. It will be unmodified, with the factory Pirelli PZ4 tires.

I’m interested in data points about likely track electricity consumption and then charging rate. There are 5x 20m sessions, but I don’t mind missing one session to get two pairs of up to 20m sessions.

On consumption, any ideas for what % of the battery a 20m track session would use for a Plaid? How much could this be reduced by driving less aggressively or just for 15m sessions?

On charging, I can arrive with a nearly full charge after overnight charging at the motel and then likely level 2 charge from a NEMA 14-50 at the track, so can hopefully do two 20m sessions in the morning. There is an Electrify America with CHAdeMO and CCS1 at the Walmart in Willows, but I don’t have an adapter for either. The nearest Supercharger is 34 miles away at Williams, which is likely to be a 2+ hour round trip during lunchtime (35m each way + 50m+ Supercharging). Based on 350Wh/mile on freeway this will take ~12% to drive back to the track, and another 12% to get back to the Supercharger before the drive home. So that leaves just ~70% for the two afternoon sessions.

Thanks for any and all advice!

I saw that video and was going to address that as an issue. I'm not sure if the car experienced brake fade, user error, or some catastrophic failure, but a 4,900+lb car might have more braking issues than a 2,600lb car pushed near the limit over several laps. Compound that with the fast acceleration Teslas are known to have and you'll have a lot more energy to dissipate before every corner entry. For example, a Plaid might hit 125mph before a corner while a Supra might only hit 100mph. Remember: K.E = 1/2 M * V^2

In short, I wouldn't hesitate to take the Plaid to the track, but ease into it and work your way in gaining more confidence with each lap. It's not a race and you are your own insurance. Bring an IR temperature gun and sample the rotor and tire temps after each session. I wish there was a brake fluid temp sensor so you'll know if you're pushing it too hard. I found a post of a fellah with a Model 3 who says his brake fluid boiled.

Last edited: