Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone tested S/X CHAdeMO Adapter on Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What sort of recharge times are we expecting to see for Model 3 via chademo?
I suspect the bottleneck will be the public DC FCs themselves. Most CHAdeMO DC FCs in the US tend to be no more than 44 to 50 kW. So, at full speed, in 1 hour, ~44 kWh to ~50 kWh will have been dispensed. The lower the starting SoC, the longer it should be able to maintain full and high speeds...

Reactions: Drax
I rented a 3 a couple of weeks ago and immediately found out that the CHAdeMO adapter did not work at the ChargePoint stations at work. Noted this in my review: Tesla Model 3 Renter's Review - Jan 2018 and was told that a firmware update should correct this. The car I had used v8.1 (2017.50.12 b707518). If/when CHAdeMO support does appear on the 3, I hope somebody posts the firmware they have at the time.

i thought the future in america, europe and australia is CSS anyways?

Yes, the folks promoting CCS are happy to tell you that, over and over. The fact is that in six years, CCS charge stations still don't outnumber CHAdeMO in *any* market that they compete. Zero. Not in Europe, not in North America, and certainly not in Japan. Or China (which has it's own standard, GB/T).

The CHAdeMO Association just put out the following statement:

770,000 compatible cars
17,700 stations worldwide
7,133 Japan
6,060 Europe
2,290 USA
2,018 Asia
182 - other

1) 50% growth in Europe and 30% world-wide, CHAdeMO infrastructure continues to expand its network, serving 775K plug-ins in the world

2) Membership base continues double-digit growth

3) 200kW protocol (CHAdeMO 1.2) published and 400kW protocol (2.0) revision on-going

4) CHAdeMO continues to expand its global reach; 10 new countries got their first CHAdeMO in 2017

The fact is that in six years, CCS charge stations still don't outnumber CHAdeMO in *any* market that they compete. Zero. Not in Europe, not in North America, and certainly not in Japan. Or China (which has it's own standard, GB/T).

the Netherlands has more CCS than CHAdeMO. Also, there is no CHAdeMO that can deliver more then 50KW in the Netherland while there are already a few CCS stations that can delivery 175KW (3 locations, 5 chargers; planned many more this year)