TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Anyone tested CHAdeMO Adapter on Model 3

Discussion in 'Model 3: Battery & Charging' started by efusco, Dec 14, 2017.

1. MP3Mike

MP3Mike Well-Known Member

it is important in Canada as well.

2. TonyWilliams

TonyWilliams Active Member

I physically tested the CHAdeMO adaptor last Saturday... no joy.

• Informative x 1
  3. TTMDLX

TTMDLX Member

I finally tested my CHAdeMO adapter on the M3 today. It does NOT work which is disappointing. The car could not recognize the charger and vice versa. It plugged in fine but could never connect to charge.

4. cwerdna

cwerdna Active Member

Indeed. It seems like the first folks to actually receive the CHAdeMO adapter were in Japan (e.g. hiroshiy at CHAdeMO adapter wait frustration). If memory serves, when he received his, it hadn't shipped to any North American customers yet.

5. Drax

Drax Member

What sort of recharge times are we expecting to see for Model 3 via chademo?

6. cwerdna

cwerdna Active Member

I suspect the bottleneck will be the public DC FCs themselves. Most CHAdeMO DC FCs in the US tend to be no more than 44 to 50 kW. So, at full speed, in 1 hour, ~44 kWh to ~50 kWh will have been dispensed. The lower the starting SoC, the longer it should be able to maintain full and high speeds...

• Like x 1
  7. SigNC

SigNC Member

$450 for that adapter seems a little steep

8. cwerdna

cwerdna Active Member

9. Vader

Vader New Member

Chademo does not work with Model 3. I’ve test it several times.

10. Candleflame

Candleflame Member

i thought the future in america, europe and australia is CSS anyways?

• Funny x 1
  11. RayK

RayK Member

I rented a 3 a couple of weeks ago and immediately found out that the CHAdeMO adapter did not work at the ChargePoint stations at work. Noted this in my review: Tesla Model 3 Renter's Review - Jan 2018 and was told that a firmware update should correct this. The car I had used v8.1 (2017.50.12 b707518). If/when CHAdeMO support does appear on the 3, I hope somebody posts the firmware they have at the time.

12. jbcarioca

jbcarioca Active Member

This is a major issue in Eastern Canada that does not yet have Superchargers and lots of other areas. I strongly hope they will enable it soon. this is one of my only Model 3 make-or-break decisions.

13. TonyWilliams

TonyWilliams Active Member

Yes, the folks promoting CCS are happy to tell you that, over and over. The fact is that in six years, CCS charge stations still don't outnumber CHAdeMO in *any* market that they compete. Zero. Not in Europe, not in North America, and certainly not in Japan. Or China (which has it's own standard, GB/T).

The CHAdeMO Association just put out the following statement:

770,000 compatible cars
    17,700 stations worldwide
    7,133 Japan
    6,060 Europe
    2,290 USA
    2,018 Asia
    182 - other

1) 50% growth in Europe and 30% world-wide, CHAdeMO infrastructure continues to expand its network, serving 775K plug-ins in the world

2) Membership base continues double-digit growth

3) 200kW protocol (CHAdeMO 1.2) published and 400kW protocol (2.0) revision on-going

4) CHAdeMO continues to expand its global reach; 10 new countries got their first CHAdeMO in 2017

• Informative x 3
    • Like x 2
  14. Az_Rael

Az_Rael Supporting Member

I have firmware 2018.4.9 and just tested Chademo at a station I had previously used with my S, with no results. Still doesn't work.

• Informative x 1
  15. schonelucht

schonelucht Active Member

the Netherlands has more CCS than CHAdeMO. Also, there is no CHAdeMO that can deliver more then 50KW in the Netherland while there are already a few CCS stations that can delivery 175KW (3 locations, 5 chargers; planned many more this year)

16. Vader

Vader New Member

Doesn’t work. Got my M3 bought the chadamo adapter and the charger doesn’t see a car.

17. Limited

Limited Member

Just got update 2018.10.5 342f4e3 last night and tested out the adapter. Still getting error message "CHAdeMO charging stations not supported."

• Helpful x 2
    • Informative x 1
  18. Benjamin Brooks

Has anyone asked Tesla Service if there is a CHAdeMO adapter firmware that will be needed to support the 3 as well? They have my S currently in for service (along with adapter in trunk), guess I can ask them when I go pick it up...

19. Limited

Limited Member

When I phoned Tesla support back in January, they said that chademo wasn't supported yet and that they were working on the software.

• Informative x 1
  20. Karl Boe....

Karl Boe.... New Member

I have a 3 which I got on Monday 3/26/18. I just tried the chademo adapter from Tesla. It does NOT work. The car complains and then throws and error to the charger (an Aerovironment.) Why would Tesla do something different for the 3? I had no idea it wouldn't work and am a bit irked. I just assumed it would.

• Informative x 3
    • Funny x 1