Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone tested S/X CHAdeMO Adapter on Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Conflicting reports. A well known and generally competent San Diego Tesla Model 3 owner (as of 2 days ago) tried two different Chademo stations, none worked. Here’s his partial post to Facebook:

* Chademo charging not supported yet. Tried at Nissan and ABB brand units. Tesla phone support said the 3 doesn't support Chademo yet.

I'm picking up my 3 tomorrow in the bay area. Any S/X owner with an adapter and a spot to charge want to test it out with me? I'm curious myself since I will likely be adding a DC faster charger at work. Don't want to spend the $ on the adapter if it doesn't work.

I'm picking up my 3 tomorrow in the bay area. Any S/X owner with an adapter and a spot to charge want to test it out with me? I'm curious myself since I will likely be adding a DC faster charger at work. Don't want to spend the $ on the adapter if it doesn't work.

Tried using a new Chademo adapter on the TM3. It did not work. Also, borrowed another Tesla owner’s adapter. Same result. Notice an error message on the touchscreen that stated the Model 3 did not recognize Chademo charging.
Hopefully, a future update will allow the Model 3 to use the adapter for charging at Chademo stations.

FWIW Saratoga has a pretty new CHAdeMO/CCS charger located at the library.
YES, I noticed that recently! But I don't currently have that $500 adapter. yikes. would have to want to use that charger a LOT to justify buying it. But if anyone that owns it wants to meet and try making it work on a 3, I live close and am happy to meet there.

I have tried it at two different stations and haven't been able to get it to work yet. In my Model S, the trick to a successful Chademo charge was locking the car (and effectively turning it off) before starting the charging session. The error message I'm getting on the Chademo station with the Model 3 seems to be along those lines (the initial comm test fails).

I was on the phone support line while trying to charge the first time with my Chademo adapter, and the support tech put me on hold while asking around and came to back to say the feature isn't implemented yet...

I'm noticing a couple of other things that need a software tweak (such as my music playing from the USB stick that goes away when you stop the car and get out. You have to re-select the artist, etc. when you get back in instead of resuming from where you left off)...

Anyways, still impressed by the car...Soaking it all in....