TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Anyone tested S/X CHAdeMO Adapter on Model 3

Discussion in 'Model 3: Battery & Charging' started by efusco, Dec 14, 2017.

1. efusco

efusco Moderator - Model S & X forums

Not listed as an available adapter in the Tesla Shop, but can't think of a reason it wouldn't work. Just looking for first hand experience.

• Helpful x 1
  2. Cosmacelf

Cosmacelf Well-Known Member

Yeah, it’s kinda alarming that Tesla doesn’t list the chademo adapter as being compatible with Model 3. Can’t any press ask Tesla about this?

3. McManX

McManX Member

I’ll meet someone with a model 3 in the Bay Area with my adapter at a chademo station. You can have some free juice if I can sit in the car. I just delayed for awd.

• Helpful x 1
    • Like x 1
  4. efusco

Pretty surprised nobody has yet chimed in that they have tried this...

• Like x 1
  5. MP3Mike

MP3Mike Well-Known Member

Why? Because there are so many people active on these forums that have a Model 3 to play with? (And a CHAdeMO adapter.)

• Funny x 2
    • Like x 1
  6. efusco

There are a few...and many of the early adopters actively seek to test out all the functionality. But I understand what you're saying.

7. sammyfan711

sammyfan711 Member

Awesome! I asked the Now You Know guys as well, it may be coming up on their 12 days of model 3 so we can see with our own eyes

8. cwerdna

cwerdna Active Member

Do you mean a charge rate of up to 50 kW was achieved or that 50 kWh was dispensed from the CHAdeMO charger?

• Like x 3
    • Funny x 2
    • Helpful x 1
    • Informative x 1
  9. efusco

Thank you!

10. combo

combo Member

Glad to hear it works. I'll need it when visiting St. Louis to avoid some out of the way trips to Superchargers.

• Like x 1
  11. JoshG

JoshG Member

I may be up for that this weekend if you find a station near Saratoga somewhere...

12. JoshG

JoshG Member

Ah - nevermind... just finished reading the whole thread and see that the answer has already been found.

13. Cosmacelf

Conflicting reports. A well known and generally competent San Diego Tesla Model 3 owner (as of 2 days ago) tried two different Chademo stations, none worked. Here’s his partial post to Facebook:

* Chademo charging not supported yet. Tried at Nissan and ABB brand units. Tesla phone support said the 3 doesn't support Chademo yet.

• Helpful x 2
    • Informative x 2
  14. b_silva2000

b_silva2000 New Member

I'm picking up my 3 tomorrow in the bay area. Any S/X owner with an adapter and a spot to charge want to test it out with me? I'm curious myself since I will likely be adding a DC faster charger at work. Don't want to spend the $ on the adapter if it doesn't work.

15. Marfong

Marfong New Member

Tried using a new Chademo adapter on the TM3. It did not work. Also, borrowed another Tesla owner’s adapter. Same result. Notice an error message on the touchscreen that stated the Model 3 did not recognize Chademo charging.
    Hopefully, a future update will allow the Model 3 to use the adapter for charging at Chademo stations.

• Informative x 2
    • Like x 1
  16. Cosmacelf

Yes, Randy’s post to Facebook above said Tesla said it didn’t work YET. If that sentence is precise, then it just means Tesla hasn’t finished QA or whatever of the software.

• Informative x 1
  17. wws

wws Member

FWIW Saratoga has a pretty new CHAdeMO/CCS charger located at the library.

18. JoshG

JoshG Member

YES, I noticed that recently! But I don't currently have that $500 adapter. yikes. would have to want to use that charger a LOT to justify buying it. But if anyone that owns it wants to meet and try making it work on a 3, I live close and am happy to meet there.

19. RandyS

RandyS Fan of Elon

I have tried it at two different stations and haven't been able to get it to work yet. In my Model S, the trick to a successful Chademo charge was locking the car (and effectively turning it off) before starting the charging session. The error message I'm getting on the Chademo station with the Model 3 seems to be along those lines (the initial comm test fails).

I was on the phone support line while trying to charge the first time with my Chademo adapter, and the support tech put me on hold while asking around and came to back to say the feature isn't implemented yet...

I'm noticing a couple of other things that need a software tweak (such as my music playing from the USB stick that goes away when you stop the car and get out. You have to re-select the artist, etc. when you get back in instead of resuming from where you left off)...

Anyways, still impressed by the car...Soaking it all in....

20. PlayaVista

PlayaVista Member

Tried at Caltech where both S and X have successfully charged via Chademo. Got message on Model 3 dashboard saying that Chademo is not yet supported.

• Informative x 5