Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone tested S/X CHAdeMO Adapter on Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Happy for the existing owners, but I can't imagine many new buyers will bite given the price and 50kW limitation.
While it is true that the Leaf has driven Chademo deployments (and is now the only new car being sold in the US that natively supports Chademo), there are two things to consider:

- Most non-EA Chademo chargers are in metro areas, since few people make road trips with the Leaf (at least that was the case before this year's Plus with more range was released)
- CCS is rapidly catching up. According to the DoE, there are currently 2047 Chademo stations with 2891 outlets in the US, while there are 1727 CCS stations with 3194 outlets.

Great link. CCS is ahead of CHAdeMO in Canada for both stations and outlets:
CHA 444, 584
CCS 530, 669 (registers one more if L2 selected, is there one L2 CCS location? :))
Tesla SC 60, 657
Tesla (incl L2) 547, 1917

Alternative Fuels Data Center: Electric Vehicle Charging Station Locations

CCS is ahead of CHAdeMO in Canada for both stations and outlets:

The vast majority of the CCS only stations are 24 kW max ones. (With no active cooling or heating, so they can be even slower when it's too hot or cold.). These units also tend to be at dealerships . I trust there's no need to rehash the numerous problems with dealership charging station sites.

Electrify Canada will probably be heavily tilted to CCS, but currently they have no planned sites outside of Supercharger areas.

If it's as easy as adding a 2nd plug to CCS, here's hoping Chademo is around for a long time, at least as secondary output for most L3 stations. Anything here in Canada that is publicly financed or incentivised seems to still include both, which is good.

New models even like the Outlander PHEV support Chademo. If Nissan ever widely releases the NV200e I'm sure it will be Chademo, and what about Honda's upcoming EVs?

Not dead yet I hope (since I finally bought the adapter!)

Reactions: darth_vad3r
If it's as easy as adding a 2nd plug to CCS, here's hoping Chademo is around for a long time, at least as secondary output for most L3 stations. Anything here in Canada that is publicly financed or incentivised seems to still include both, which is good.

New models even like the Outlander PHEV support Chademo. If Nissan ever widely releases the NV200e I'm sure it will be Chademo, and what about Honda's upcoming EVs?

Not dead yet I hope (since I finally bought the adapter!)

Majority of these (all?) are single stall locations so it makes sense to include both types on them, but I think as multi-stall non-Tesla DCFCs grow in Canada and US, we’ll see CCS heads start to greatly outnumber CHAdeMO.

Then it just becomes a question of if your road trip charge is in a remote enough location to not have to compete with a lot of local low-range Leafs :)

Reactions: Ulmo
Well... my CHAdeMO adapter arrives today; but software update 2019.24.1 nowhere to be seen for Model 3..... Guess we keep waiting?

I'm on 2019.20.4.2 and most people seem to be jumping to 2019.20.4.4 instead of .24

Adapter ordered the day it was available and shipped the next day. It can take a few days to get over to Canda, hopefully early next week and the update happens too. I have yet to see a video/screenshot/etc. of a 3 charging on Chademo.

I'm on 2019.20.4.2 and most people seem to be jumping to 2019.20.4.4 instead of .24

Adapter ordered the day it was available and shipped the next day. It can take a few days to get over to Canda, hopefully early next week and the update happens too. I have yet to see a video/screenshot/etc. of a 3 charging on Chademo.
Yep, firmware trackers show no model 3 has 2019.24.x to date; hopefully we don't have to wait much longer. I wonder if I attempt to use the CHAdeMO adapter if it will trigger an update :p

No teslafi.com/firmware shows some, but looks like the early beta group, since most are still getting 20.4.4.
Oh you are right; there is 1 car listed that is 3 (Not S or X) listed of there. Well that's progress as only S,X had it when I checked day before yesterday.

Also in other questions... Do you connect the CHAdeMO adapter to the car first or the charging cabinet first?

Also in other questions... Do you connect the CHAdeMO adapter to the car first or the charging cabinet first?

It's fairly difficult to connect to the car first and then connect to the cabinet since the Chademo plug is so big. Plug the Chademo into the adapter first (push it on all the way, HARD), then plug into the car, then start the charge at the cabinet.

Just double checked and Fedex will deliver my adapter today. Might be a door stop for a few days.... :(
Haha yeah; Luckily I can use it on our X as well; we will be camping this weekend through an area with no superchargers, but a CCS/CHAdeMO combo on the way; so this is great timing and the other main reason I ordered it; because of this yearly camping trip.

Tried our Model 3 - 2019.20.4.2 - with CHAdeMO adapter from our S but no joy.

Blink charger displayed the 3's charge level, so there was communication. However, it couldn't start charging. The 3's charge port light stayed dark. LED on Blink's CHAdeMO plug stayed red.

Tried several times. Unlocked car, used Tesla app's "Start Charging" button while Blink charger was in "Start charging" mode.

CHAdeMO adapter firmware was updated last summer during S annual service. It worked with the S last summer before the update. No occasion to use it since.

Blink CHAdeMO charger is just over 1 mile away so this was a low-effort test. No cost for the test since charge didn't start. Pretty nice setup - the Blink charger allowed me to set target charge level. Startup default was 80%. I changed it to 90%.

Scheduled Ranger service to check out/update CHAdeMO adapter; verify that 3 is ready to go CHAdeMO.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia

Blink charger displayed the 3's charge level, so there was communication. However, it couldn't start charging. The 3's charge port light stayed dark. LED on Blink's CHAdeMO plug stayed red.

Tried several times. Unlocked car, used Tesla app's "Start Charging" button while Blink charger was in "Start charging" mode.

CHAdeMO adapter firmware was updated last summer during S annual service. It worked with the S last summer before the update. No occasion to use it since.

Blink CHAdeMO charger is just over 1 mile away so this was a low-effort test. No cost for the test since charge didn't start. Pretty nice setup - the Blink charger allowed me to set target charge level. Startup default was 80%. I changed it to 90%.

Scheduled Ranger service to check out/update CHAdeMO adapter; verify that 3 is ready to go CHAdeMO.

I thought I read you need 2019.24 for CHAdeMO to work?

Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
Happy for the existing owners, but I can't imagine many new buyers will bite given the price and 50kW limitation.
The EA sites you will be able to select from the 3 KW it offers, we have a whole bunch coming soon in San Diego and I have them marked to notify me when they become available on the EA app. 75kw 150kw and 350kw... I’ve ordered the adapter a few days ago so i will go out and test all 3, Blink, Charge Point & EVGo.

Fred

Last edited:

Having used Blink for many years, they pretty much suck, not maintained, old and give out lots of errors even with J1772 or DCFC users, the newer Charge Point DCFC seem to be more up to date and always worked well on the Leaf. One of the Campuses here have a newer one, rated at 62.5kw. Will give that one a try first.

Fred

Reactions: cwerdna