Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone tested S/X CHAdeMO Adapter on Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A few months ago I was significantly behind on FW and I used the mobile app to request a push of a new version. It took about a week but I got an email reply (from my local service center), we emailed back and forth and it didn't take too long to get it.
I am happy you received the service you deserved. This maybe a case were the firmware is not in general release and so pushing it on a case by case may not be an option.. I'm more disappointed that Tesla is not upfront about it on the Tesla Shop page. It would certainly save them time on service calls about the subject.

I am happy you received the service you deserved. This maybe a case were the firmware is not in general release and so pushing it on a case by case may not be an option.. I'm more disappointed that Tesla is not upfront about it on the Tesla Shop page. It would certainly save them time on service calls about the subject.

I can appreciate Tesla having set levels of FW they release for early public/beta testing, and wider rollouts. However the current system seems to be quite haphazard to be honest. Even the "standard/advanced" settings now in the software don't seem to have much logical connection to FW updating.

The adapter has been 2 years coming, in the grand scheme what's a few weeks for the firmware to be generally available?
I'm ok with waiting; but I'm irked at being in a limbo state.
Tesla already took all the congratulations for bringing CHAdeMO to model 3 owners; the media wrote their articles and praised Tesla for it weeks ago; but the reality is that nobody can actually use it; that is absurdly obnoxious to those of us who actually have a real need that is solved by this adapter. Many of us also purchased this $450 adapter with no warning from Tesla at all that it won't actually work when it arrives.

Can you imagine if you purchased a refrigerator and when it arrived at your house it didn't keep things cold; and then you had to search random news articles to find out that the refrigerator required a firmware update in order for the condenser to turn on; meanwhile the manufacturer had no date that said firmware would actually be available. The manufacturer also continued to sell said refrigerator on their website with no notice that the fridge does not currently actually work in practice. In what world would this be acceptable? Yet for Tesla its "no big deal", "why are you complaining?"

If they had a disclaimer on the purchase page I wouldn't be complaining. It also wouldn't hurt to have an actual estimate on when I'll actually be able to use it either. This is basic customer consideration 101, it would literally only take 5 minutes out of a Tesla employees day to provide that bit of basic information on the website and it would be a non-issue.

So to summarize; Its not the wait; its the way Tesla is rolling it out and the media's reporting that I personally take issue with.

Last edited:
So to summarize; Its not the wait; its the way Tesla is rolling it out and the media's reporting that I personally take issue with.
Yes I would agree this is irritating, especially when you look at this quote from 10 days ago on the Electrek site. They made it sound like a done deal.
After a few false starts, Tesla has now finally officially released an update to make the CHAdeMO adapter compatible with Model 3 – giving owners access to DC fast-charging stations of third-party charging networks for the first time.

https://electrek.co/2019/07/09/tesla-chademo-adapter-model-3-charging-networks/

Tesla has so much upside positives that all of us Model 3 owners who just bought a $450 US Tesla CHAdeMO adapter won't be returning it anytime soon to the Tesla store for refunds. If it was a Chevrolet Bolt charging adapter far fewer would be so passive.
Also since I have actually tried to use the adapter at a local fast charging (unsuccessfully) per Tesla return rules cannot be returned. Those who have not used them will incur a 25% restocking charge.

Tesla has a great charging advantage with their parallel battery architecture.
All Tesla sold today are S96 packs, just like every other EV on the market.
The high kW at superchargers is due to the pretty insane currents. The advantage Tesla has relative to most other EVs is having large packs.

Li-x cell chemistry has a pretty flat voltage between 20 - 80% SoC of ~ 3.75 volts so the pack voltage is ~ 360 volts and the power (kW) is 0.360 * current

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Jeff Hudson
All Tesla sold today are S96 packs, just like every other EV on the market.
The high kW at superchargers is due to the pretty insane currents. The advantage Tesla has relative to most other EVs is having large packs.

Li-x cell chemistry has a pretty flat voltage between 20 - 80% SoC of ~ 3.75 volts so the pack voltage is ~ 360 volts and the power (kW) is 0.360 * current

The ability to accept "insane currents" by the pack is due to the pack architecture. The "S" in your "S96" stands for "serial". The post of mine you quoted and the part you snipped was talking about the Parallel architecture: "Tesla has a great charging advantage with their parallel battery architecture."

The Model 3 LR is 46p96s ... there are *46* 2170 cells in parallel in each 'brick' that is then in series 96 times.

It's the fact they are charging these 4416 cells simultaneously that lets them draw so much current. If they used another manufacturer's battery pack design the supercharger current would over-stress the batteries and they would degrade or get damaged.

Also note -- the SR/+ is only 31p96s. The LR charges at a higher power rate than the SR ... it's because of the extra 46 vs 31 cells in parallel that allows it to draw more current.

EDIT: Just a quick google search found an example of one Leaf model that is 96s2p... "2p" ... that's the difference I was talking about in parallelism. 2 vs 46!

EDIT2: This article says the Bolt is 96s, 3p:
Tesla Model 3 & Chevy Bolt Battery Packs Examined | CleanTechnica

Again, 2p and 3p vs 46p! Massive difference. All the same 96s.

Last edited:
The advantage Tesla has relative to most other EVs is having large packs.

There's just so much I disagree with in this short post I had to respond a 2nd time :D

Compare two similar "large" pack designs of the Hyundai Kona and the Kia Niro vs the Model 3 LR ... now which charges faster?

The Tesla with the same size or smaller pack, not a larger one.

Okay now back to your other point about Tesla's supercharger outputting 'insane currents'... take that out of the equation too and send them both to a 350kW DC fast charger in Europe. Which one charges faster?

The Tesla. Why? Not because of the Supercharger's insane output current, they aren't at a supercharger. It's because the car's battery pack architecture limits how fast it can accept charging current and distribute it to all the individual cells in parallel.

You are looking at mid-70s kW charging power on the Hyundai/Kia vs mid-100s (as in 150-ish) kW for the Tesla 3 LR.

Reactions: TT97
The "S" in your "S96" stands for "serial". […] The Model 3 LR is 46p96s ... there are *46* 2170 cells in parallel in each 'brick' that is then in series 96 times.

Sometimes autocorr3ct sucks :) LOL, didn’t even correct that 3 either, LOL. Well my first “serial” was supposed to also say “series”, but anyways I think my point was made that it is the P that I was talking about, not the S.

At 3p96s has WAY less cooling surface area than a 46p96s, so the Tesla packs can take higher current while safely keeping temperatures within spec with active cooling.

Meanwhile a 2p96s Leaf with air cooling only would probably melt if it took 250kW V3 supercharger rates :)

Okay now back to your other point about Tesla's supercharger outputting 'insane currents'... take that out of the equation too and send them both to a 350kW DC fast charger in Europe. Which one charges faster?

The Tesla. Why? Not because of the Supercharger's insane output current, they aren't at a supercharger. It's because the car's battery pack architecture limits how fast it can accept charging current and distribute it to all the individual cells in parallel.
The difference in maximum power not attributable to pack size is mostly* explained by superior cooling in the Tesla.
Since the 96S stays constant, as the pack grows in size the extra cells are placed in parallel. That is true for any and every EV on the market today. Look at the maximum charging power of the Model 3 SR Vs LR. It is just a function of relative pack sizes

There is also some difference in cell chemistry and perhaps pack resistance but I don't know those details

Last edited:
Reactions: ord3r
It’s not only the number of cells in parallel, but also their size. A large cell, like those found in leaf or Etron, can take more current than a single 2170. It’s really more about total capacity of the battery in parallel not just the count (assuming chemistry, cooling, etc is the same). You could even have all the cells in serial and get the same power into the pack but at low current and very high voltage, which would not be fun to deal with.

Most evs with active cooling are limited by their high voltage harness and connectors, not the cells themselves, at most points in the charging curve. Even model 3’s wiring can only handle 250kw for a short amount of time (though the pack is likely usually the limit here). Also, the NMC chemistry used by most prismatic and pouch cells tends to have better ability to take higher amperages and less aggressive tapers, which is one of the reasons etron can maintain its high charging speed for so long.

Tesla has nailed the sweet spot with the middle 3 imo, it’s ability to peak at 250kw is awesome, but that is mostly due to its charging harness and pack design/capacity rather than anything special about the cells or their parallel arrangement.

Anyway on the topic of CHAdeMO adapters, I got mine in the mail and haven’t used it. I would be mad about the firmware update not being here but I’m a bit afraid of being a beta tester on this one.

Last edited:
The advantage Tesla has relative to most other EVs is having large packs.

The difference in maximum power not attributable to pack size is mostly* explained by superior cooling in the Tesla.
[…]
*There is also some difference in cell chemistry and perhaps pack resistance but I don't know those details

Ok, so “the advantage” you said before was large packs, but now what’s not attributable to pack size (e.g. as I already noted the smaller battery SR charges faster than a larger battery Hyundai or Kia) is attributable to superior cooling. I just said that, so you are agreeing with me now?

The massive parallel cell design is what allows for more cooling!

3p96s has WAY less cooling surface area than a 46p96s, so the Tesla packs can take higher current while safely keeping temperatures within spec with active cooling.

Meanwhile a 2p96s Leaf with air cooling only would probably melt if it took 250kW V3 supercharger rates :)

What’s the difference here? Pack architecture! Even liquid cooled systems that are only 3p can only cool so much surface area. And...

Since the 96S stays constant, as the pack grows in size the extra cells are placed in parallel. That is true for any and every EV on the market today.

No, this is not necessarily true for every EV on the market. It’s true for Teslas, more specifically within a pack family of Teslas like S/X (18650) or 3 (2170), but it’s absolutely NOT the case “for every EV on the market today”.

You can increase capacity by increase the cell pouch sizes used in each module that’s in series without adding cells in parallel. The simplest example of this is the transition from the S with more smaller cells to the 3 with less larger cells. An example of it not being true across Teslas themselves :)

Anyways, thanks for bringing this up and making me look up the Leaf, because the quote direct from Nissan below illustrates my point exactly with the advantage Tesla has with massively parallel 31 or 46 cell charging that splits the input current across all those cells in parallel and reduces heat much more than possible with just 2p or 3p like the Leaf:

“Nathan Herbrandson, Nissan’s vehicle program development manager for EV marketability, during a recent press event for the 2019 Leaf Plus in San Diego, California.“
[…]
“The key here is that number of cells that we have in parallel,” he said. “Previously, with the 40-kWh pack, we had 96 cells in series, like in a flashlight. In the previous generation we had two of those ‘stacks,’ if you will, of 96 cells. So you’re going from two layers to adding a third layer. That reduces your resistance. You can imagine drinking a glass of water. If you have one straw, you have some resistance from the straw. If you use two straws, you get less resistance, and reducing resistance obviously means you’re creating less heat.”
So. 46p LR better than 31p SR, much much better than 3p Leaf+, better than prior 2p Leaf.

Why? Less current, less resistance. Heat is I-squared R.
More surface area = more cooling. (vs Hyundai/Kona who use liquid cooling like Tesla, never mind silly Nissan with air cooling).

Tesla’s pack architecture allows for LESS heat to be produced AND more cooling. This is their advantage in charging speed.

Not Superchargers vs CCS DCFC. Not large pack size.

Source: Updated Nissan Leaf Battery — 50% More Battery | CleanTechnica

Last edited:
  • Informative
The massive parallel cell design is what allows for more cooling!
This is the part I disagree with, but to be clear:

Tesla's pack architecture and cooling are an integrated design and appear to work very well; BUT
nothing prevents a pack design from having low parallelism and good cooling and low pack resistance.

Addendum: My impression (I am not an engineer) is that the Tesla architecture was chosen for money reasons rather than physics/engineering advantages. I used to think that the architecture gave Tesla a reliability advantage but I was schooled last year here on TMC that is not the case.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zoomit
This is the part I disagree with, but to be clear:
a) you disagree that massive parallel design allows more cooling, but it does, and (b) the parallel design also generates less heat, reducing the need for as much cooling, or making existing cooling better.

Tesla's pack architecture and cooling are an integrated design and appear to work very well; BUT
nothing prevents a pack design from having low parallelism and good cooling and low pack resistance.

Huh? Nothing prevents it? How about physics, and battery types, the fact it has to fit in your car? There are only so many shapes/types of cells: Types of Battery Cells; Cylindrical Cell, Button Cell, Pouch Cell

Also when you run something in parallel, the current gets split across each parallel branch. 50A through one battery is higher current at one point than 50A through 50 batteries in parallel. Each cell gets 1A each only.

For similar chemistries you are going to need a certain total volume/weight of cell to create a certain capacity in kWh. Think of a big brick battery that is 50 Ah capacity and how you can cool it. Now split that battery into 10 smaller individual 5 Ah cells and think about how now you can cool each cell individually.

Unless you made a massively-inefficient-use-of-space pancake-flat (probably foot-ball-field-size) pouch battery, you won’t get more surface area to cool with the same capacity using fewer larger cells.

If you take a large hot potato out of the oven and put it on your plate, what do you do to make it cool down faster and eat it sooner? Cut it in half, and then in half again. Tesla has done this and almost once more again — comparing a 3p design to a 46p design with 15.33x more cells. They just made more smaller nugget potatoes that weigh the same.

Ya sure, you could flatten out the potatoes into a pizza-size thin layer that covers the whole baking sheet, but now that doesn’t fit on your plate any more.

• Helpful