Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone tested S/X CHAdeMO Adapter on Model 3

jsmith

Jan 31, 2017
California
I found about this the hard way. Tried EVGo and ChargePoint, and got errors. Really sucked. Forced to pay at the Superchargers and not able to use other providers with an adapter that wasn't cheap! I had to drive 40 miles out of my way to charge recently, even though there was a DC charger 2 miles away.

MP3Mike

Feb 1, 2016
Oregon
Tried EVGo and ChargePoint, and got errors. Really sucked. Forced to pay at the Superchargers and not able to use other providers with an adapter that wasn't cheap!

Are you saying that the EVGo and ChargePoint CHAdeMO chargers are cheaper than the Tesla Superchargers?

MP3Mike

Feb 1, 2016
Oregon
I think he's saying the CHAdeMO adapter wasn't cheap. Which for $500 and you can't use it on your new car, is fairly true

OK, I see that now. But the adapter isn't even listed as being compatible with the Model 3. It is clearly labeled as a "Model S/X CHAdeMO Adapter".

Model 3

Jul 13, 2014
Norway
According to this post in the Swedish telsa forum an assumed Tesla owned Model 3 test vehicle is observed in Norway charging with an CHAdeMO adapter.
M3-CHAdeMO.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna and Canuck

miimura

Aug 21, 2013
Los Altos, CA
While that story mentions the difference between the US and European charge ports, it doesn't actually say which charge port is on that "ghost car". If it was a Tesla test vehicle, I would not be surprised if it had a European charge port.

• Informative
Reactions: TigaFF

Model 3

Jul 13, 2014
Norway
it doesn't actually say which charge port is on that "ghost car"
Correct. But whatever it is that is not the point I was making posting it here - just that they apparently have the CHAdeMO adapter working at least on this test vehicle.

miimura

Aug 21, 2013
Los Altos, CA
Correct. But whatever it is that is not the point I was making posting it here - just that they apparently have the CHAdeMO adapter working at least on this test vehicle.
I would be extremely surprised if CHAdeMO support for the Model 3 is anything more than a software update. So, the fact that a manufacturer test vehicle is charging on CHAdeMO is not at all surprising to me. In fact, we should be seeing it a lot more before they release the CHAdeMO adapter support.

• Helpful
Reactions: TonyWilliams

AEdennis

Jul 23, 2013
I would be extremely surprised if CHAdeMO support for the Model 3 is anything more than a software update. So, the fact that a manufacturer test vehicle is charging on CHAdeMO is not at all surprising to me. In fact, we should be seeing it a lot more before they release the CHAdeMO adapter support.

Agreed... But why need to test it in Europe first? Tired of waiting for this... Frankly, this support should have been activated before the rear seat heaters...

TonyWilliams

Jun 11, 2012
San Diego - Tesla powered Rav4 EV
According to this post in the Swedish telsa forum an assumed Tesla owned Model 3 test vehicle is observed in Norway charging with an CHAdeMO adapter.

So, now there are at least two photos of the Model 3 getting tested with CHAdeMO:

1) Canada several months ago, most likely with the North American Tesla inlet

2) Norway recently, probably with the Type 2 inlet

Sounds like very normal, methodical testing. I’d guess that this is merely verification testing, and that a software update is waiting for that verification.

run-the-joules

Aug 13, 2017
SF Bay
Agreed... But why need to test it in Europe first? Tired of waiting for this... Frankly, this support should have been activated before the rear seat heaters...

I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess that substantially more people will use rear seat heaters than a $500 incredibly awkward adapter for a charging network that most customers will have never heard of.

• Funny
Reactions: cwerdna and MP3Mike

AEdennis

Jul 23, 2013
I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess that substantially more people will use rear seat heaters than a $500 incredibly awkward adapter for a charging network that most customers will have never heard of.

Most of early sales were to California... It's warm now! :p

ccutrer

Sep 3, 2015
Eagle Mountain, UT
In terms of widespread applicability, yes. But no one “needs” rear heated seats, nice as they are to have in certain situations. But if I get into situation that CHAdeMO charging is available, and I have a low charge, I’d sure as heck want a charged car than a warm bum and not be able to go anywhere for many hours waiting on L1 (or L2 if I’m lucky) charging.

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC