Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone tested S/X CHAdeMO Adapter on Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I really hope they will make a CCS adapter. I think it will be much more useful than Chademo within a year or so. The Electrify America chargers are starting to go online now and most have 7 CCS stations per location. That would be a nice backup for overcrowded Superchargers.

I was about to type the same. Going on plugshare, you can find the current and upcoming Electrify America sites. From the sampling I looked at, I haven't seen many with 7, however, most have 4 CCS (and some more) and all I saw only had 1 CHAdeMo. I would definitely be more interested in a CCS adapter over CHAdeMO.

I was about to type the same. Going on plugshare, you can find the current and upcoming Electrify America sites. From the sampling I looked at, I haven't seen many with 7, however, most have 4 CCS (and some more) and all I saw only had 1 CHAdeMo.
They have their own charger map:

Locate a charger | Electrify America

If you click the locations that are already online (dark blue icons) they show the number of CCS and Chademo chargers. I have clicked a few and they all seem to have at least 7 CCS and 1 Chademo. There was also one that showed 19 CCS.
I would definitely be more interested in a CCS adapter over CHAdeMO.
Yep. If they make one, hopefully it would support higher charging speeds than 50kW (and be a bit less clunky to use than the giant Chademo plug).

Reactions: Kacey Green
They have their own charger map:

Locate a charger | Electrify America

If you click the locations that are already online (dark blue icons) they show the number of CCS and Chademo chargers. I have clicked a few and they all seem to have at least 7 CCS and 1 Chademo. There was also one that showed 19 CCS.
Yep. If they make one, hopefully it would support higher charging speeds than 50kW (and be a bit less clunky to use than the giant Chademo plug).

Thanks, if they are not in Cali, they don't matter :).

I guess the PlugShare I was looking at were mostly upcoming and 4 may just be the placeholder, however, the 1 CHAdeMO to many CCS definitely applies. Even the 19 CCS location I saw (outside of Atlanta) only had 1 CHAdeMO. Here's hoping for CCS.

Thanks, if they are not in Cali, they don't matter :).
Shouldn't take long, hopefully. ;)
I guess the PlugShare I was looking at were mostly upcoming and 4 may just be the placeholder, however, the 1 CHAdeMO to many CCS definitely applies.
After looking at some pictures of their charging locations, I think I have the riddle's solution: they are counting plugs, not chargers. While their charging poles have two plugs each (to accomodate cars with different charge port placment), only one of them can be used at a time. So, I think the default configuration for most locations is 4 chargers, one of which supports both CCS and Chademo, the other three only CCS.

I really hope they will make a CCS adapter. I think it will be much more useful than Chademo within a year or so. The Electrify America chargers are starting to go online now and most have 7 CCS stations per location. That would be a nice backup for overcrowded Superchargers.

A lot of us own CHAdeMO adapters for Model S. It is pretty annoying that they haven't been updated to work with a Model 3 yet. I would have thought that a firmware update might be needed, and that has to be installed using a physical connection, since the adapter doesn't communicate otherwise. However, when I asked my service rep. about it, he had no information at all. Fortunately, there are far more superchargers now than there were 5 years ago when I bought the adapter.

Tesla Parts Catalogs Now open to public! : teslamotors

On the recently opened parts catalog, someone spied that the chademo adapter is on the parts list for the model 3. So it looks like it is still coming sometime in the future hopefully...

Is the chademo adapter on the parts list for the Model 3 the same as what they sell for the Model S and X currently? If it’s not it may be time to sell my adapter.

Thanks - I will check once I get in my car. I’ve got the adaptor in the trunk of my model 3 waiting for that magical day...

just don't sell your adapter till they announce support if the part number isn't the same. there could have been revisions to the adapter, and just like how UMC 1 works with the model 3, it could be that older chademo adapters work with the model 3 (if/when they enable support).

just don't sell your adapter till they announce support if the part number isn't the same. there could have been revisions to the adapter, and just like how UMC 1 works with the model 3, it could be that older chademo adapters work with the model 3 (if/when they enable support).

Here's the identification information on my adapter which was purchased in 5/2017. It's the same except the last letter is C rather than D. I hope that it's just a software update.

Attachments

• IMG_0311.jpg
    IMG_0311.jpg
    360.8 KB · Views: 111
The firmware that is likely to need a change is in the adapter itself, and not subject to over the air updates. Has to be taken in for a physical connection, but isn't to my knowledge available now.
I don't agree with this. The primary function of the adapter's firmware is getting the communication with the station correct and working around all the station peculiarities. Tesla already has a specification for how the adapter talks to the car, so it should just be a matter of making the Model 3 follow that specification and talk to the adapter just like the S and X already do.

You are correct that IF the adapter firmware needs to be updated, that has been done by service centers.

I don't agree with this. The primary function of the adapter's firmware is getting the communication with the station correct and working around all the station peculiarities. Tesla already has a specification for how the adapter talks to the car, so it should just be a matter of making the Model 3 follow that specification and talk to the adapter just like the S and X already do.

You are correct that IF the adapter firmware needs to be updated, that has been done by service centers.
Ttbomk:
Firmware will need to be updated in CHADeMO adapters as well as car. CHADeMO adapters have some intelligence
Firmware may be able to be updated remotely from car, same as recent ability to update fw in umc and hpwc.
@AEdennis appears to have gotten a firmware update after attempting to use CHADeMO station....

Ttbomk:
Firmware will need to be updated in CHADeMO adapters as well as car. CHADeMO adapters have some intelligence
Firmware may be able to be updated remotely from car, same as recent ability to update fw in umc and hpwc.
@AEdennis appears to have gotten a firmware update after attempting to use CHADeMO station....

I did, but that might be also because my wifi at work was stronger there... and it didn't help any, adapter still functions the same as previously reported

• Informative
Reactions: Drax
Ttbomk:
Firmware will need to be updated in CHADeMO adapters as well as car.
So this is what I've been wondering recently. Just tested a working CHAdeMO adapter today:
- my MS charged just fine (firmware 2018.42.2)
- a friend's M3 still wouldn't charge at all (unknown firmware version)

It would be really good to get confirmation of which or whether both (car/adapter) needs to be updated. (Haven't taken the time to contact local SC yet)