Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone tested S/X CHAdeMO Adapter on Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There are very few [Electrify America] locations in the NE - none in NY or NJ.
The map on EA’s website now shows only already open sites or ones that are “coming soon” and under active construction (permits approved, etc.). It is showing less than half of the total locations planned to be built and open by this time next year.

In the first 2.5 year cycle ending in June 2019, there isn’t any coverage of Main, Vermont, or New Hampshire but there are plenty of locations planned in New York and New Jersey around the larger region of NYC. There will also be coverage of I-90 out to Buffalo and I-95 heading down to Philadelphia but no coverage of coastal NJ.

The 2nd 2.5 cycle plan is due soon so we can find out how they plan to expand coverage in states outside of California (which gets a separate planning doc already available).

In addition to long-distance highway locations the larger NYC metro area is also one of the 17 designated EA community charging regions so there will DC charging plazas scattered around as well.

Here is an older (but still accurate) map of the approximate locations for the planned 300 or so highway locations planned for this first 2.5 year cycle of work (another 3 cycles will follow). Another 180 or so community DC locations will be installed in the 17 regional areas marked in green.

DA6FBF6F-789B-4DB5-B2E7-41C616AC741F.jpeg

Have we ever received an official answer from Tesla, that the current Model S/X Chademo adapter doesn't work BECAUSE -

a) There is a hardware incompatibility, and Model 3 will need a different adapter entirely, or

b) firmware/software issue in the existing adapters. Will need to develop firmware upgrade and install new firmware for existing Chademo adapter to work, or

c) The car itself needs updated firmware, it's in development, and may be available in <insert timeline here> .

The finding that the Chademo adapter is listed in the model 3 service manual, with the same part number , suggests that it could be option B or C. Or it could be simply a cut and paste error.

IMO, it would be good for Tesla to give us some guidance on this.

• Love
Reactions: Drax
Have we ever received an official answer from Tesla, that the current Model S/X Chademo adapter doesn't work BECAUSE -

IMO, it would be good for Tesla to give us some guidance on this.

I've written to my service center twice now about this. First time they replied that they didn't know anything. Second time they did not bother to respond. This is clearly a very low priority issue for them.

Also, there was some buzz about a new CCS adapter being a hotter item for them, including producing cars with CCS sockets for Europe, I believe? This seems credible given that CHAdeMO seems to be faltering as Japan EV initiative languishes.

Reactions: KJD and Kacey Green
There are pictures out there of Model 3 test vehicles charging with CHAdeMO adapters, so it's just a matter of time and Tesla validating the car's firmware and the adapter's firmware before they release it. With earlier Model 3 firmware versions, the car did not give a meaningful error message. Today, if you try to use a CHAdeMO adapter the car will actually tell you that CHAdeMO is not supported, or something to that effect. So, the car actually recognizes the CHAdeMO adapter. That is a key step in the right direction.

Received this response from Tesla:
"Thank you for contacting Tesla support. We do apologize for the delay in reaching out to you and for any inconvenience this has caused. We are still working on adding CHAdeMO support, but we have not been given a date for when it will be available. We hope it will be within this first quarter of 2019, but nothing has been released yet. Thank you for your continued patience."

For what it is worth.

Received this response from Tesla:
"Thank you for contacting Tesla support. We do apologize for the delay in reaching out to you and for any inconvenience this has caused. We are still working on adding CHAdeMO support, but we have not been given a date for when it will be available. We hope it will be within this first quarter of 2019, but nothing has been released yet. Thank you for your continued patience."

For what it is worth.

With 1st shipment to China, beginning end of Feb. There will be installed at Model 3 for Chinese market, two connectors per China standard, one for Chinese national standard level 2, one for CHAdeMO which is also Chinese standard for Level 3.

As such, I think that why Tesla will get current North America CHAdeMO ready by that time.

With 1st shipment to China, beginning end of Feb. There will be installed at Model 3 for Chinese market, two connectors per China standard, one for Chinese national standard level 2, one for CHAdeMO which is also Chinese standard for Level 3.

As such, I think that why Tesla will get current North America CHAdeMO ready by that time.

I didn't know CHAdeMO was the standard in China for L3, I thought it was just Japan. That's a pretty big deal. Do they have any CCS?

• Informative
Reactions: ThosEM

The Chinese DC charging standard is not CHAdeMO. The GB/T DC plug is mechanically different than CHAdeMO, but the signalling is very CHAdeMO-like. Tesla will deliver Model 3 cars with the same Chinese GB/T AC and DC plugs as the Model S currently has under the "gas filler door" for that market.

The true driver for a North American CHAdeMO adapter is the Japanese market. The Tesla vehicles there use the North American Tesla inlet and CHAdeMO is the de-facto DC charging standard. Japan is RHD, so their deliveries will be in the second half of 2019.

... The true driver for a North American CHAdeMO adapter is the Japanese market. The Tesla vehicles there use the North American Tesla inlet and CHAdeMO is the de-facto DC charging standard. Japan is RHD, so their deliveries will be in the second half of 2019.

It is plausible that Japanese market Teslas could use a similar 'fuel door' as the Chinese cars will - just with J1772 and CHAdeMO inlets instead of the GB/T versions. If that is the case, it would reduce the general need for an external CHAdeMO adapter. It would also likely mean Tesla would have to upgrade their Japanese Superchargers to include a CHAdeMO cable - like they are doing with CCS in Europe. (Perhaps implementing a 100+kW version while at it.) Nonetheless, Tesla should just make the software for the existing adapter available for the North American Model 3 and be done with it.

I remember when Tesla first announced a CHAdeMO adapter for the Model S. It was then a good year or so before they finally released it. All that time pics would pop up of MSs with manufacture plates showing them connected to CHAdeMO stations. The belief was that due to the very fundamental difference in the way CHAdeMO works with the controlling of the charge, Tesla had to do a lot of testing with all the different station types to insure it not only worked, but didn't damage the batteries. All that work now needs to happen again with the different Model 3 pack. I have no doubt Tesla will eventually support the adapter (already sending a specific message about it being connected is very promising). It's just going to take time for them fully test it.