Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone tested S/X CHAdeMO Adapter on Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The EA sites you will be able to select from the 3 KW it offers, we have a whole bunch coming soon in San Diego and I have them marked to notify me when they become available on the EA app. 75kw 150kw and 350kw... I’ve ordered the adapter a few days ago so i will go out and test all 3, Blink, Charge Point & EVGo.

Fred
Are you just trying to verify it works on all networks or are you expecting to get more than 50kW? If the latter, you’ll be disappointed because the adapter is limited to 50kW.

The EA sites you will be able to select from the 3 KW it offers, we have a whole bunch coming soon in San Diego and I have them marked to notify me when they become available on the EA app. 75kw 150kw and 350kw... I’ve ordered the adapter a few days ago so i will go out and test all 3, Blink, Charge Point & EVGo.
As of today, the Chademo outlets at the EA sites are limited to 50kW (only the CCS outlets can deliver more). But more importantly, the Tesla adapter is limited to 50kW, even if you find a charger that supports more.

Reactions: darth_vad3r
Having used Blink for many years, they pretty much suck, not maintained, old and give out lots of errors even with J1772 or DCFC users, the newer Charge Point DCFC seem to be more up to date and always worked well on the Leaf. One of the Campuses here have a newer one, rated at 62.5kw. Will give that one a try first.

Fred
Agree about ChargePoint. I've had good experience with their L2 chargers.

This was my first serious attempt to use a Blink charger. They seem to have woken up to EA competition. The PlugShare history for the unit I tried suggests faster response to maintenance problems - repaired a few days after the problem was reported. They even offered free charging to encourage people to try the unit after the repair.

I've read that a lot of 50kW stations only supply ~40 regularly. If they have higher power stations that can supply 50kW reliably using the adapter, that's still a plus.
Many 50kW CHAdeMO stations are limited to 120A output, hence with a nominal 350V battery, they charge in the low 40’s at low SOC and ramp up to near 50kW at higher SOC. The CHAdeMO adapter is limited to 125A and thus a higher power station will let it charge at the full 125A vs 120A. In reality this difference is not very significant though; it will still take a long time to charge.

LOL. Came to reply to this (since you replied to the post about the 50 kW limit), clicked next page ,.. saw everything I was about to say already posted :) ...
Are you just trying to verify it works on all networks or are you expecting to get more than 50kW? If the latter, you’ll be disappointed because the adapter is limited to 50kW.
As of today, the Chademo outlets at the EA sites are limited to 50kW (only the CCS outlets can deliver more). But more importantly, the Tesla adapter is limited to 50kW, even if you find a charger that supports more.
Many 50kW CHAdeMO stations are limited to 120A output, hence with a nominal 350V battery, they charge in the low 40’s at low SOC and ramp up to near 50kW at higher SOC. The CHAdeMO adapter is limited to 125A and thus a higher power station will let it charge at the full 125A vs 120A. In reality this difference is not very significant though; it will still take a long time to charge.

This last point is something many new or prospective EV owners don’t understand. Heck, probably even a lot of long-time EV owners. I thought I’d just expand on that.

The stations don’t have a “power” limit in kW that is standalone, they have two underlying limits, a voltage limit (Volts) and a current limit (Amps). Power (kW) = Volts x Amps.

I guess it’s easier to express one number, so that’s the way things are marketed.

So you see people disappointed their car can only draw low 40s kW from a 50 kW charger and think something is wrong with their car, when they’ve actually just bumped up against the current (Amps) limit already and can’t see the max 50 kW unless they also get to the max Voltage (and depending on the car they have, and the SoC they are at, they might literally never get there). This can be confusing if you only look at power.

e.g. “I know my car get nearly double this rate at a 125 kW charger, something must be wrong with this 50kW charger”.

Tesla has a great charging advantage with their parallel battery architecture. It really lets them suck in a lot of Amps and spread it out to different cells taking advantage of the higher power charge stations available. Some cars with different battery design can’t go that high with current, so yes you might get from low 40s at a 50kW up to actual 50 at a 75kW station for example, but you won’t be seeing many of the competiton max out these high power charging stations with the current battery pack designs.

It would be great if the cars advertised their max charging current input so you could compare up front more easily. e.g. say the Kona has a 200A limit but the 3 is a 400A limit (I made up these numbers) ... this might clue people in “oh, there’s something different going on here”.

Last edited:
Tesla are willingly selling Chademo adapter to Model 3 owners as officially now compatible yet the required firmware is still restricted to Early Access program. Bravo. Please take my $450.
Yep; It is such a great customer experience to be sitting here on a $450 paperweight while I read week old headlines that say:
"Tesla opens access to CHAdeMO chargers for Model 3 drivers" - Green Car Reports
"Tesla Model 3 In North America Finally Can Use CHAdeMO Adapter" -Inside EVs
"Tesla Model 3 finally gets a CHAdeMO quick charge adapter" - Teslarati

At least electrek actually told us the firmware version to wait for; because Tesla does not mention it on the purchase page or anywhere else; and neither did any of the news sources I listed above. Feeling sorry for whoever bought this for a road trip last weekend on reading the news and was sorely disappointed when they plugged in and nothing happened.

• Love
Reactions: Threader
Well, I too have the door stop. But I figured I'd get it before there's a run on them and then be waiting 4-6 weeks for a restock. It also shipped faster than anything I've bought from Tesla thus far... of course. :rolleyes:

I have specific summer plans starting at the end of this month where the adapter will come in handy. I saw that .24 was already being rolled out so figured I'd be ok. Now looking at teslafi there seems to be a real slowdown in all firmware updates. Why is anyone's guess...

Reactions: Ulmo
Hehe, yeah. I sound more jaded than I actually am; Its great they finally are enabling it. Its just a little strange how Tesla rolls stuff like this out. I mean they accidentally updated the website ~5 weeks ago to specifically mention the 3 now was supported by the CHAdeMO adapter; then pulled the change back; Then randomly updated the website again last week to mention it was compatible with "all" north american vehicles; but didn't actually have firmware rolled out that works with it. They let a bunch of Model 3 buyers order it when its literally not going to work when it shows up without any indication why.

I don't know; if it was me; I would have waited until firmwares with chademo support had actually launched before listing it as compatible; so that then when I announced it on the website and let model 3 owners buy it; that it would actually work. I mean this is a $450 option; you'd think you'd want people to be able to actually use it when they had it in their hot little hands. Its like if AMD launched their new processors; but had no motherboard support whatsoever; the difference in this analogy is the Tesla end user could actually be stranded somewhere because of this.

I did a scheduled service on the app. that I was sold the CHademo Adapter for my Model 3 and it doesn't work because i don't have the correct firmware so fix it. My service appointment was cancelled and they told me to wait. I'm about to to call them.

I just sent a request to Tesla support to see if they'd push me the 2019.24 update....... Still can't use my adapter.

I contacted through Tesla App scheduled appointment and also called charger support. Both said wait for firmware update.
I also sent a comment through the Tesla website forms and told them they need to have a disclaimer that the Model 3 requires a 2019.24.# firmware to use the adapter. I am expecting some passive canned response. Tesla really doesn't care.