Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone tested S/X CHAdeMO Adapter on Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
B7E4CDD8-2A81-4958-9B1E-41C7D734A061.jpeg

Just got 2019.24.4

• Love
Reactions: Ulmo
Success with my Chademo Adapter and the Model 3 this morning on the new Tesla 2019.24.4 software. Charged for a bit at a local eVgo station. One of the old Nissan DC FC units. It said I was pulling 107 amps at 374 volts (40 kW), but the screen inside the car said 33 kW. Hmmm.

The car also said it was getting about 133 miles per hour, and that is about what I got on the Model S as well last time I used the adapter...

Like the Model S, you need to lock the car ("turn it off") before the charging session will successfully start, or you'll get error messages on the charging station....

Thanks, Tesla, for adding support for this adapter...
01.jpg 02.jpg 03.jpg

Great pics guys. I have a question about them ...

Screenshot from 2019-07-24 19-08-47.pngScreenshot from 2019-07-24 19-09-05.png Screenshot from 2019-07-24 19-09-23.png
Screenshot from 2019-07-24 19-08-47.png
Screenshot from 2019-07-24 19-09-05.png
Screenshot from 2019-07-24 19-09-23.png

Is it just me or do these pics make the CHAdeMO plug from the station orient "upside down"... I'm wondering if there is a half-twist induced in the Tesla adapter cable forced because of gravity? or is the adapter actually oriented "upside down" so that the handle side would naturally want to face up to the sky if you plug the Tesla end into the car?

Tested with a Chargepoint DCFC, works as expected, good speed.

Attachments

• E6EFDAD0-8E83-4F8D-A375-319C6C0B1FF8.jpeg
    E6EFDAD0-8E83-4F8D-A375-319C6C0B1FF8.jpeg
    471.5 KB · Views: 100
  • 85A32B10-5B0E-4E80-8146-A390FC7A42FE.jpeg
    85A32B10-5B0E-4E80-8146-A390FC7A42FE.jpeg
    371 KB · Views: 105
  • FEEAD7BF-29F6-4A3B-A10C-2C2C6ACC616C.jpeg
    FEEAD7BF-29F6-4A3B-A10C-2C2C6ACC616C.jpeg
    329.9 KB · Views: 98
  • Love
Great pics guys. I have a question about them ...

View attachment 433870View attachment 433874 View attachment 433867
View attachment 433870 View attachment 433874 View attachment 433867

Is it just me or do these pics make the CHAdeMO plug from the station orient "upside down"... I'm wondering if there is a half-twist induced in the Tesla adapter cable forced because of gravity? or is the adapter actually oriented "upside down" so that the handle side would naturally want to face up to the sky if you plug the Tesla end into the car?
The section on the adapter between the Tesla plug and the CHAdeMO receptacle is a flexible bit of cable. The weight of the CHAdeMO plug pulls down that end.

The section on the adapter between the Tesla plug and the CHAdeMO receptacle is a flexible bit of cable. The weight of the CHAdeMO plug pulls down that end.

Yes, it's that flexible bit of cable that bends that I am asking about ... does it twist as well? It just looks "upside down" to me, so I'm wondering if it's just oriented that way, or if the weight of the big plug actually makes it twist 180 degrees.

Based on the photo on the site, it seems that the connection to a heavy plug on the station makes the "flexible bit of cable" on the adapter, not only bend down, but twist 180 degrees:
1036392-10-C_0.jpg

1036392-10-C_alt.jpg

The user photos above do not match this photo on the Tesla site.

Is that because the weight of the adapters is inducing a twist in the cable, or have they changed the adapter design?

My CHAdeMO adapter is scheduled for delivery Friday. I was updated to 24.4 today, & I am anxious to try it out. The closest CHADeMO to me is about 8 miles away (a Maverik Station in Washington UT). PlugShare lists it as a ChargePoint 50KW. We'll see. This adapter opens up a half-dozen or so free Rocky Mountain Power charge locations in Utah and about the same number of free state-funded locations in less-traveled places in desert Nevada, including Tonopah, Hawthorne, Fox Peak, Panaca, and perhaps others I haven't come across yet.

Reactions: Ulmo and KJD
Yes, it's that flexible bit of cable that bends that I am asking about ... does it twist as well? It just looks "upside down" to me, so I'm wondering if it's just oriented that way, or if the weight of the big plug actually makes it twist 180 degrees.

Based on the photo on the site, it seems that the connection to a heavy plug on the station makes the "flexible bit of cable" on the adapter, not only bend down, but twist 180 degrees:

The user photos above do not match this photo on the Tesla site.

Is that because the weight of the adapters is inducing a twist in the cable, or have they changed the adapter design?
Ah, now I see what you're asking. The adapter is as pictured from Tesla. The adapter in the other pictures is being twisted by the weight of the CHAdeMO and orientation of the feed cable. In order to get it line up straight you kinda need to balance the whole assembly on the feed cable.

I also had success at Chargepoint and Greenlots. Max charge rate I have been able to obtain is 47kw which calculates to ~200mph of range which makes sense given previous discussions in this thread.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190725-055334_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20190725-055334_Gallery.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 87
Like the Model S, you need to lock the car ("turn it off") before the charging session will successfully start, or you'll get error messages on the charging station....

I tried again on EVgo and no go, I turned the Model 3 off, and the EVSE shook hands and when it starts to charge, you hear a click as if a fuse is going off at the connector and the charge fails. Going to submit a ticket, I wonder if the Adaptor is faulty.

Fred

Last edited:
I tried again on EVgo and no go, I turned the Model 3 off, and they EVSE shook hands and when it starts to charge, you hear a click as if a fuse is going off at the connector and the charge fails. Going to submit a ticket, I wonder if the Adaptor is faulty.
Fred
Try it on another brand charge station. Mine worked on Electrify America OK yesterday.

I think someone else reported problems with EVgo yesterday. Chargepoint seems to work OK as well.

Ah, now I see what you're asking. The adapter is as pictured from Tesla. The adapter in the other pictures is being twisted by the weight of the CHAdeMO and orientation of the feed cable. In order to get it line up straight you kinda need to balance the whole assembly on the feed cable.

Ok, that’s what I was concerned about. The torque tension from the twist seems like undue stress put on the adapter cable and the ends.

As awkward as the Tesla photo seems, I think people should try to aim for that use pattern to avoid the twisting.

Reactions: Ulmo and GHammer
Ok, that’s what I was concerned about. The torque tension from the twist seems like undue stress put on the adapter cable and the ends.

As awkward as the Tesla photo seems, I think people should try to aim for that use pattern to avoid the twisting.
Agreed however it is highly dependent on the chargers plug/cable arrangement. I've used Webasto (formerly Aerovironment) and EA stations and I could get the Webasto to balance correctly however I couldn't with EA. The EA cable was short and came out of the top of the charger column and didn't have very much play to work with. The Webasto cable is very long and can be positioned correctly.