Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone that wanted to try and sneak in LR RWD Model 3 before it disappears, were you able to order?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was looking to order a LR RWD within 2 weeks from now, and after hearing the news about LR RWD going away, I decided to try and order a Pearl White LR RWD version by calling the local Service Center, since they "should" be available to order for the next few days. When I called they said they only have left over inventory and they were all Obsidian Black, no other colors available. I thought I could either get one actually ordered still, or at least there would be plenty of other colors to choose from as they flush out the model. Anyone else try to order the LR RWDS one after they got rid of it?

You can still order the LR RWD.

Here are the steps to follow: 1) Order a Mid Range 2WD 2) Call Tesla Order Support at and explain that you want to change to the Long Range battery, 3) The Order Support team will open a change request (aka modification / case). The Order Support team will then email you a confirmation email, 4) You must reply back to their email to verify your requested change to the long range battery, 5) Order support will manually update your configuration.

It is important to note that you will still have to “approve” all of your pre delivery numbers based on the mid-range battery option. Your user account will not be updated right away. It may take up to 7 days to update your user account. Regardless, complete all your pre delivery information as soon as possible. This is the email you receive after you place your order and pay your $2,500.

Per the Elon Musk tweet, this is an off menu option, "for the next week or so".

This process is confirmed and verified. You are encouraged to validate the above steps with the Order Support team before paying your $2,500 deposit. Make sure you are speaking with a CSR on the Order Support team. They have specific instructions from leadership to allow this configuration and they will walk you thru it.

I have no idea why Tesla did this. Maybe LR RWD will be gone until they put the newer battery packs in the Model S/X ?

Wow, thats some good, thorough information. This sounds like it will be a configuration nightmare as ill be surprised everything goes smooth through all these steps, with paper work and receiving the proper car, but got my fingers crossed! Thanks!

You can still order the LR RWD.

Here are the steps to follow: 1) Order a Mid Range 2WD 2) Call Tesla Order Support at and explain that you want to change to the Long Range battery, 3) The Order Support team will open a change request (aka modification / case). The Order Support team will then email you a confirmation email, 4) You must reply back to their email to verify your requested change to the long range battery, 5) Order support will manually update your configuration.

It is important to note that you will still have to “approve” all of your pre delivery numbers based on the mid-range battery option. Your user account will not be updated right away. It may take up to 7 days to update your user account. Regardless, complete all your pre delivery information as soon as possible. This is the email you receive after you place your order and pay your $2,500.

Per the Elon Musk tweet, this is an off menu option, "for the next week or so".

This process is confirmed and verified. You are encouraged to validate the above steps with the Order Support team before paying your $2,500 deposit. Make sure you are speaking with a CSR on the Order Support team. They have specific instructions from leadership to allow this configuration and they will walk you thru it.

I have no idea why Tesla did this. Maybe LR RWD will be gone until they put the newer battery packs in the Model S/X ?

This is 100% accurate. This is the exact method I used to order my RWD LR in Silver Metallic after it had been discontinued. They did up charge me $2500 for the discontinued color but the process to change it was exactly as described, quick and error free.

We went to the dealer last week and were able to get a lr rwd ordered on Monday and took delivery Friday. Asked today to check inventory and they said there were only
Performance editions in inventory. So either they sold a few in a week or they are in fact sending them back to outfit with mid battery.

Interested to see if you call Tesla if you can still get a lr rwd

Ok, just spoke with my local service center, and they confirmed WHAT AZ-3 stated. I had to order LR AWD, and they change it on the back end. So happy to squeeze in that LR RWD order (barely). Another note I don't believe this is inventory it seemed like it was an regular order from Cali.