Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone think the metal roof will come painted black?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What does this say about those suggesting the cut of the 60kWh was to clear price room for the Model 3? Now they cut the 75 back down to the same price...
It says that if people weren't upgrading to 75 kWh as often as they liked then selling the same car for a higher base price will increase average margins. (average being the operative word)

Reactions: Red Sage
It says that if people weren't upgrading to 75 kWh as often as they liked then selling the same car for a higher base price will increase average margins. (average being the operative word)
From the same article, the drop includes some of the middle options too, so it's not just the base. They will be raising prices on the 100kWh to make up for drops on those and they plan to end up with the exact same ASP.

From the same article, the drop includes some of the middle options too, so it's not just the base. They will be raising prices on the 100kWh to make up for drops on those and they plan to end up with the exact same ASP.
Average sale price might stay the same but I'm wondering what it's doing for their average gross margins. One would think they'd still be trying to raise cash for Model 3. Otherwise there was no real need to shuffle things.

Southern California and other southern states can be very hot in the summer, along with a very intense sun. A black roof (and glass) would make the car an oven. Lots of white cars in these places.
But you realize it has heat rejection right? So really you're getting energy from visible light, partially blocked by the dark tinting.

but yeah, you'd get about the same with a black roof, that's what the max temp feature is for though.

Southern California and other southern states can be very hot in the summer, along with a very intense sun. A black roof (and glass) would make the car an oven. Lots of white cars in these places.
After reading all of the comments by current model S and X owners with panoramic roofs, that live in hot, sunny places that say this is a non-issue, I'm not worried about this at all.

Honestly, having had the car for a year now and even though we're in the PNW, on the hottest days (low to mid-90s) it wasn't ever an issue. The exterior door handles do get super toasty but inside the car, it's perfectly fine, especially when you're driving it. And while I remember coming back to a very hot car with our previous non-Tesla cars, having the app and being able to pre-cool when we're 10 - 15 minutes from getting back has been magic.

Honestly, having had the car for a year now and even though we're in the PNW, on the hottest days (low to mid-90s) it wasn't ever an issue. The exterior door handles do get super toasty but inside the car, it's perfectly fine, especially when you're driving it. And while I remember coming back to a very hot car with our previous non-Tesla cars, having the app and being able to pre-cool when we're 10 - 15 minutes from getting back has been magic.
Sounds great! How does the sunlight impact you and passengers while driving? I'm most concerned about my rear passengers will respond to a glass roof, especially my baby son.

Also, are you AWD or RWD?

Sounds great! How does the sunlight impact you and passengers while driving? I'm most concerned about my rear passengers will respond to a glass roof, especially my baby son.

Also, are you AWD or RWD?

No real issues with glare or bright sun that I can remember. We did put an anti-glare/fingerprint cover on the center screen so that has probably helped, but generally, it's dark enough to keep the bright sun and heat out but light enough to give a nice feeling of openness. We did also recently install Photosync (practically clear) tint on the roof glass when we had the rest of the windows tinted, so that's probably helped a little too. But really, even before we had that (got the car in late June) it was never actually an issue. But know that putting a little more tint on there is definitely an option (worst-case scenario) and it isn't all that pricey. BTW - if you need a great tint and washing/detailing shop, Northwest Auto Salon in Lynnwood is top notch. Great team there and they do excellent work.

We got AWD (probably mostly because we've been driving Audi Quattro for years) though we're considering RWD on the 3, depending on timing. Since we have the S now, we might just hold out for AWD on the 3. We shall see. Though with trips over the passes and up to Vancouver/Whistler, it might be a necessity. Certainly haven't needed it right around here (Bothell) though.

as for the reduced thermal insulation, there is no solution I can think of.

I am sure something can be worked out. If Tesla doesn't, perhaps I will.

What does this say about those suggesting the cut of the 60kWh was to clear price room for the Model 3? Now they cut the 75 back down to the same price...

That Tesla doesn't act like other companies, and will keep surprising you if you think otherwise. Or really, will keep surprising you regardless.

Thank you kindly.

Reactions: Red Sage and Jayc
Interesting thoughts and could very well be the right answer. Notice they made the all glass roof the standard option as of today. Tesla’s least expensive vehicle is now the Model S 75 at $69,500 after big overnight price drop & newly included options In fact, the author goes on to say "The inclusion of the glass roof seems like another effort to streamline Tesla’s product line, since the Model 3 is also supposed to come standard with an all-glass roof"

If that is the case I would probably go with an extreme dark tint of the roof glass but as for the reduced thermal insulation, there is no solution I can think of.

Bjorn used to jam foam into his pano roof for insulation during the long cold Norwegian winters.

I imagine one of the custom fitted silver/gold foil air bubble sun shades would be just as effective and much more elegant/easier to work with. I know companies are making complete sets for the X, I imagine a shade for the glass roof and pano roof will be forthcoming if they aren't out already.

Reactions: Jayc
silver/gold foil air bubble sun shades would be just as effective

Probably not. Especially if you didn't want the foil to show. The insulation value of foil lined bubble wrap isn't that high in this application. My first thought would be to go with an inch thick stiff but pliable foam, add softer foam on the edge to make a friction fit, and cover with something attractive.

Thank you kindly.

Reactions: Red Sage
Probably not. Especially if you didn't want the foil to show. The insulation value of foil lined bubble wrap isn't that high in this application. My first thought would be to go with an inch thick stiff but pliable foam, add softer foam on the edge to make a friction fit, and cover with something attractive.

Thank you kindly.

Have you ever used an emergency blanket? They don't even have the bubble wrap...

I'll grant it isn't the most effective insulation known to man, but it is at least as good as a conventional car roof and probably much better.

Put me in the disappointed in no metal roof crowd. I live in the cold. Trying to come up with a solution to -35 degree weather radiating in from the roof is a PITA.

But the the Model 3 it seems like less than a quarter of the roof area would be covered anyway. The rest is the front and back windshield. I find it hard to believe it would make much difference.

Have you ever used an emergency blanket? They don't even have the bubble wrap...

There is a huge difference between reflecting radiant heat from a human body continuously putting out 100 Watts of heat, and maintaining temperature in a car. As insulation (i.e. when preventing conductive heat loss) those foil blankets have an R-value around 0.1. Adding 1/4" of bubble wrap adds at most R-1.

Thank you kindly.

There is a huge difference between reflecting radiant heat from a human body continuously putting out 100 Watts of heat, and maintaining temperature in a car. As insulation (i.e. when preventing conductive heat loss) those foil blankets have an R-value around 0.1. Adding 1/4" of bubble wrap adds at most R-1.

Thank you kindly.

You won't have radiant heat from your body in the car? What do you think the R value of a typical metal roof and fabric headliner is? How about a typical car window?

I'm not saying the sun shade is great insulation - just that it's better than the rest of the surroundings and the original metal roof target.

p61PIVR.jpg
I'll go back to this photoshop job... how much of a difference would it make in insulating that tiny panel vs all glass?